Elite - Elite - Elite

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: David Braben answered my question about Open PVE

Postby Falcon_D » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:02 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:It seems to me that open PVE should be easy. The game already knows if you shoot or run into a CMDR. Just register no damage or fines for the victim, but do register fines and damage on the aggressor. Don't count if someone flies into your mining laser (while mining). You still need to be careful of ships flying into your lasers and multi cannons and etc. You can easily avoid weapon problems by just not being around unknown commanders. And there must be an algorithm to determine who is really doing the ramming, not just by what speed you are going - if someone T-bones me in an intersection, even if I'm speeding, if I had the right of way, then it's his fault. If you're on the wrong side of the slot, it's your fault, and etc.

Hello,
Personally I would just like to keep it simple.
Detect if collision (ship to ship) was CMDR to CMDR. If yes, no damage to shield or hull.
Detect if collision (weapon round to ship) was CMDR to CMDR. If yes, no damage to shield or hull.
Currently I don't believe there is any physics when collision is involved. I.e. if a small ship collides into a big ship it does not bounce away.

Have fun, fly safe. o7

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:24 pm

Oh, they bounce. ;)

I think you'd have to have the aggressor bounce off of the victim, or else they could literally push you around. I did that to an NPC over a planet surface because he was bugging me hanging around a POI. And I don't think you could have them just fly through each other or that would get abused as well - imagine some douche trying to fly inside your cockpit on approach.

And if you don't fine them and put a bounty on them for shooting you, they will just shoot missiles in your face all day for fun. They really are pathetic.
It's time to give this another go.

Gorf
Master
Master
CMDR: Hardy

Postby Gorf » Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:19 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:I think you'd have to have the aggressor bounce off of the victim...

That would look fun if the aggressor is in a cutter and the victim is an eagle :D

Jack Schitt
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Kevin Reilly / Jack Schitt (depending on mood)

Postby Jack Schitt » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:39 pm

I took a look at the video, and I'm sorry to say it just came across as the usual ineffectual face-saving by David Braben. He clearly doesn't want to have an Open PVE mode because that would further fragment the players and would be an implicit admission that the three modes / play your way system hasn't been the total success they had hoped. That would be reasonable enough, except that the things he's claiming are helping to encourage cooperative rather than competitive play, e.g. the bounty system, are the very things that have caused this problem in the first place by being badly designed and reactively tweaked rather than proactively thought through and backed up by strong and meaningful sanctions both in-game and out.

FD simply do not understand the mentality of certain player types, especially when those players are better at organising and carrying out their agenda than the development team or their Community liaisons. The prime example was the "clarification of harassment" rule set that directly led to the Assholes For Assholes event that FD's community team was forced to endorse because it played by all the new rules. FD were trolled with their own ruleset and played like cheap fiddles. It was embarrassing to watch.

In a multiplayer environment there will always be players whose only definition of victory is someone else's loss. And there will always be players who want to play cooperatively but never competitively. The only way to keep these players apart is either to enforce some absolutely draconian rules backed up by account restrictions and even permanent bans (something else FD have shied away from) or to provide a PVE mode or PVE flags. At some point DB will have to realise that, or accept that he and his team are going to spend a good proportion of the game's shelf life firefighting, reacting, and arbitrating forum and Reddit wars between small but disproportionately vocal groups of PVE- and PVP-centric players.

In the meantime, thank God for Solo and this group.
Asus Sabertooth Z87 | i7-4770K 4.3GHz H100i OC | 16GB Corsair Vengeance PC12800 | GeForce GTX 780Ti 3GB | Realtek ALC1150

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar

Postby Falcon_D » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:39 am

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:Oh, they bounce. ;)

I think you'd have to have the aggressor bounce off of the victim, or else they could literally push you around. I did that to an NPC over a planet surface because he was bugging me hanging around a POI. And I don't think you could have them just fly through each other or that would get abused as well - imagine some douche trying to fly inside your cockpit on approach.

And if you don't fine them and put a bounty on them for shooting you, they will just shoot missiles in your face all day for fun. They really are pathetic.

Hmm...
Interesting. As mentioned, my experience with ramming was accidentally bumping into a commander at a mail slot. My ship didn't bounce and I don't think his ship did either. Maybe cause I was flying a Cutter.
Been rammed by NPCs but other than shield and hull damage and the ship coming to a stop or slowing down never noticed a change in direction.

Guess I should pay more attention to my ship movements rather than cursing and swearing at the NPCs for ramming my ship. :)

Have fun, fly safe. o7

CMDR Abil Midena
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Abil Midena

Postby CMDR Abil Midena » Tue May 22, 2018 5:22 pm

This topic has been popular lately, so I thought I'd necro this thread for the purpose of reminding folks what DB has said on the topic of Open PVE.

The OP links to the 2.1 release livestream where DB briefly talks about Open PVE at about 42:30.
My Youtube Channel
Elite - Elite - Elite

Prometheus
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Prometheus196206
CMDR_Platform: PlayStation

Postby Prometheus » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:07 pm

HazCat wrote:Change their HUD icon to a skull and crossbones for a set period of time and award massive amounts to anyone who brings them down. No matter how many times. Reverse griefing as a law enforcement tool!

That would be a nice step in the right direction, if the timer lasted long enough - a good few hours - and as long as the timer only went down while the player was actually playing (no logging out and coming back the next day with a clean record). Personally, I'd add an automatic 1 week game ban for anyone who is killed while sporting a skull and crossbones icon - sort of like a real prison term for anyone caught committing piracy. That would really discourage griefers, and it would sort the cheap opportunists from the truly dedicated pirate players. People could play as pirates only if they were really good at it.

But let's face facts - the developers don't have the guts to implement anything like that.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:29 pm

Gorf wrote:
Roger Wilco Jr wrote:I think you'd have to have the aggressor bounce off of the victim...

That would look fun if the aggressor is in a cutter and the victim is an eagle :D

The opposite was a common problem in eve online.
A tiny fast frigate could keep a large freighter from getting alignment for warpout for as long as they could be bothered.
Since every time the frig collided the 'physics' would make your large freighter flatten out and cut speed. And you needed 75% velocity in the right direction to enter warp.

All the frig pilot needed to do was cycle between orbit and approach.
You could literally make a quick macro and grief AFK.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Imo
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Imo

Postby Imo » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:35 am

I think the rebuy cost for the innocent is still too high. Even with a notority discount. They should make the agressor pay the innocent's loss. :)

Return to “General Discussion”