Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
tinnitus
Master
Master
CMDR: Nar Nar Goon
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: David Braben answered my question about Open PVE

Postby tinnitus » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:03 am

I like that extended timer, yeah like prison do the time . I'll wager that a one week band would not be effecting that many players compared to the main flow. It would pissed me off big time not being able to fly let alone a 1 week game play ban. No I am not a pirate nor a griefer, but the risk element of being chased is appealing to me. Not many business outside Pubs are going to ban their customers for short periods of time. We do have Mobius that took a unique approach even today compared to other private groups currently available for membership.
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

tinnitus
Master
Master
CMDR: Nar Nar Goon

Postby tinnitus » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:22 pm

Imo wrote:I think the rebuy cost for the innocent is still too high. Even with a notority discount. They should make the agressor pay the innocent's loss. :)

Sadly there are always out--of-pocket cost to victims, in real life the legal system may have a victim surcharge a penalty applied to the person(s) convicted of crimes in addition to the fine/penalty applied to the crime (not sure is it only crimes of violence) also other conditions that may apply after release, additional fine, some sort of public service. Victims complete paperwork for payment(s) via Government Snail Mail.
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

bentastic
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: BENTASTIC

Postby bentastic » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:35 am

I can understand the issue with further splitting the playerbase for another mode.

But if we look around for solutions that other games have come up with for both of these problems, it could be a viable solution
to implement a pvp flag you can set for yourself. You can only attack other players and be attacked by other players when you set yourself
in pvp mode and your target has flagged himself for pvp. This would include hostile actions like interdiction.

You can debate over the details for the implementation, like the timer between switching modes, and automatic flag when you repeatedly shoot non-pvp players, or damage modificators for weapon damage from players on non-pvp ships etc.

The new mode switch could infact help with an implementation.

This would also enable a complete merge of the splitted player bases.

Quinnlyn
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Thalestr

Postby Quinnlyn » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:32 pm

bentastic wrote:I can understand the issue with further splitting the playerbase for another mode.

But if we look around for solutions that other games have come up with for both of these problems, it could be a viable solution
to implement a pvp flag you can set for yourself. You can only attack other players and be attacked by other players when you set yourself
in pvp mode and your target has flagged himself for pvp. This would include hostile actions like interdiction.

You can debate over the details for the implementation, like the timer between switching modes, and automatic flag when you repeatedly shoot non-pvp players, or damage modificators for weapon damage from players on non-pvp ships etc.

The new mode switch could infact help with an implementation.

This would also enable a complete merge of the splitted player bases.

I think this is a good idea and would be used extensively. I mean, just look how many players the Mobius group itself has - they're all people who want to avoid PVP. Add in all the folks who haven't heard of Mobius or are otherwise unable/unwilling to join and you have quite a huge chunk of players who would unflag themselves for PVP.

Personally I've been playing Solo since the beginning. I've never even gone into Open once. Back when I got the game a few months ago, I did some online research to learn what the differences were between the different modes and Open was always accompanied with things like "full of gankers" "tons of griefers" "now I have to rebuy" etc etc. So I basically just wrote Open off entirely and decided to never touch it. I love Elite and find it very fun but truthfully I think their way of handling PVP in Open is absolutely horrible and does nothing but hurt casual players and newcomers. Several of my friends have also expressed interest in Elite but were very concerned over getting destroyed by experienced players, to the point where they have avoided buying the game.
Mobius America group. Feel free to send a friend request ingame!

Return to “General Discussion”