As a tribute to Tor, my CMDR has small feet too! o7 Dawg

anikaiful
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Mir Fnar
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: 2.1 - fun killer?

Postby anikaiful » Tue May 31, 2016 7:54 am

Arithon wrote:2.1 a fun killer? No. A game-changer? Yes. We must adapt, but the results will be worth it.

Indeed! :D

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)

Postby smartroad » Tue May 31, 2016 8:33 am

anikaiful wrote:"git gud - and smart".

My issue with just saying 'git gud' is that it doesn't help the person. I have no more than a few hours a week to play anymore which makes 'gitting gud' much harder.

That said I have had a massive change of tactics. I now only go to low/hi res and use the police presence to help whittle down wanted targets (and effectively kill steal from the fuzz - and in a hi-res can still make 2-2.5 mill an hour), I no longer answer distress calls and wont go into USS's greater then threat 1. My combat skill is not 'gud' enough, I recognise that, so I take advantage of the information and resources I am presented with to make an informed decision as to whether or not to go in.

However I have watched many of the combat video's people have made and I just can't do what they do. I am not a combat pilot, I have trouble thinking about what I am attacking, where it is, where I am, setting power distributor right, balancing multiple thruster vectors, keeping in the blue zone, turning at the right time, using the right weapons, switching between weapon groups and so on. Some people can process that much information - good for them - but many people can't and only want the game to be somewhere to unwind and relax after a stressful day at work - not a second job in its own right.

My main thought is that just saying 'git gud' isn't helpful to anyone, pointing them in a different direction or explaining different tactics that can help them improve or, like me, work within their limitations is a much better response (even if they are just whining). It is less aggressive and much more supportive. Of course the other option is to ignore them - some people like to whine because they know people will react and get off on it. Deny them with either a constructive response or none at all and they will probably go away. I get the feeling many are whining through frustration so giving them some simple options could get a few back to enjoying the game. :D
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Darwin
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darwin
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Darwin » Tue May 31, 2016 9:41 am

smartroad wrote:
anikaiful wrote:"git gud - and smart".

My issue with just saying 'git gud' is that it doesn't help the person. I have no more than a few hours a week to play anymore which makes 'gitting gud' much harder.

That said I have had a massive change of tactics. I now only go to low/hi res and use the police presence to help whittle down wanted targets (and effectively kill steal from the fuzz - and in a hi-res can still make 2-2.5 mill an hour), I no longer answer distress calls and wont go into USS's greater then threat 1. My combat skill is not 'gud' enough, I recognise that, so I take advantage of the information and resources I am presented with to make an informed decision as to whether or not to go in.

However I have watched many of the combat video's people have made and I just can't do what they do. I am not a combat pilot, I have trouble thinking about what I am attacking, where it is, where I am, setting power distributor right, balancing multiple thruster vectors, keeping in the blue zone, turning at the right time, using the right weapons, switching between weapon groups and so on. Some people can process that much information - good for them - but many people can't and only want the game to be somewhere to unwind and relax after a stressful day at work - not a second job in its own right.

My main thought is that just saying 'git gud' isn't helpful to anyone, pointing them in a different direction or explaining different tactics that can help them improve or, like me, work within their limitations is a much better response (even if they are just whining). It is less aggressive and much more supportive. Of course the other option is to ignore them - some people like to whine because they know people will react and get off on it. Deny them with either a constructive response or none at all and they will probably go away. I get the feeling many are whining through frustration so giving them some simple options could get a few back to enjoying the game. :D

I have been around since Alpha, and have seen a fair few step changes and bugs slong the way.
Even setting aside the insta kill-bugs, and the unlimited heat/capacitor charge, the biggest problem is not the better tactics and spinning AI fixes, it is equipping almost every NPC with engineer mods.
AI may not cheat, but looks like it when they display perfect targetting, pip management only a computer can do, as well as ignoring ship and module limits that apply to CMDRs.

Does take the fun out of it, and beta feedback was there.
The main loss is the sense of progression, and the time loss to grind engineer mods just to stay in the running.

[Tongueincheek]
Perhaps everyones combat rank should hace a balance pass, as you cant still be Elite if you went from Deadly to Elite in pre 2.1 'easy mode' :roll:
[/Tongueincheek]
“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time”
CMDR Darwin, Inara profile

mexican star
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: HARN

Postby mexican star » Tue May 31, 2016 10:25 am

Hi,

I echo the sentament from above. First time i played after the latest upgrade i was interdicted and destroyed twice within 10 minutes!! This morning i had just left BPM 45047 with 2 missioins and was interdicted before i could even make the first jump !! My kitted out Federal Gunship lasted 7 seconds, didnt even have time to turn and get a few shots of or high tail it out of there before i'm floating in the the black void in an escape capsule :( I agree with tweaking the AI a little bit but this is silly, we dont stand a chance!! As soon as your interdicted you might as well give up!! :x

“They were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Naturally they became heroes.”

Golem
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Cmdr GolemXIV

Postby Golem » Tue May 31, 2016 11:03 am

For me it is sad to see that if you say something against the game someone is coming and presses the OP into the whiners corner. You like the game how it is? I got no problem with that!

Am i to old? Lets say i knew my limitations :D

Dudley
Master
Master
CMDR: Dudley_Dawg

Postby Dudley » Tue May 31, 2016 11:44 am

Don't know how useful this will be to everyone but, consider (Until your confidence is up..)

1. Fly in a wing for protection.
2. Lose some jump range for Military Grade Hull. (Survivability) +250%
3. As was previously stated in an earlier post.. Decide in advance - Fight or Flight - and kit out the ship accordingly.
4. FA off is great, but needs some (a great deal of) practice. Instead of a toggle switch, have it on a push and hold switch.
5. Get a cheap ship that won't cost an arm and a leg to lose or kit out.. (DBS - perhaps [Thanks Lori]).
6. Practice.
7. Be prepared to take a beating until you acquire the understanding of techniques - (I should talk..I get regularly stomped..heh :roll: )
7a. If they are hitting you harder than you can hit them.. run away... (Code 39)
8. Practice
9. Laugh regularly..
10. Alcohol!!

Not all the AI is HOT, but refer to (7a.)

Stick with it... there is nothing more satisfying than beating something that you probably shouldn't be able to.. ;)

Oh, nothing beats being in the bar afterwards explaining how the *ahem* Elite 'conda you blasted, didn't realise who it was messing with.. (OK, it was an Eagle really and a Novice..but you know what I mean.. :D ;) )
As a tribute to Tor, my CMDR has small feet too! o7 Dawg

stereoBear
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Marcus Gray

Postby stereoBear » Tue May 31, 2016 12:16 pm

Dudley wrote:snip

11. Pip-Management! Put some in dat SYS if your shields are getting hammered.
11a. Get some new shiny large or huge Multicannons (saves distributor power for Pips to SYS)! Yes this means having to go reload every so often but you might still be alive to do it :P
12. If you have the choice attack from behind, not head-on.

In the end it's the same as with Dank Souls, gittin' gud is just playing smart and being patient.

PS: Regarding fun: I murdered a few trader s for those sweet sweet materials, and am being hunted by Elite bounty hunter NPCs since. I keep having fun luring them into convoy USSs and watch them get slaughtered by the hordes of Imperial Navy ships <3

Nethaufer
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Nethaufer

Postby Nethaufer » Tue May 31, 2016 4:26 pm

According to FDev, they've scaled back what the AI can have from engineers to a great amount, as can be found here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... ost3990998
Note that this change has taken affect as of the post, as it was a server related change, and changes should be noticeable. They also said they have created two new bug forums, one for improper AI, and one for glitched AI weaponry.

Nethaufer
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Nethaufer

Postby Nethaufer » Tue May 31, 2016 4:30 pm

Arithon wrote:*snip*
For anyone who didn't know, you can unlock multiple levels of upgrades with Felicity Farseer by handing in exploration data at her base. I popped out 1,000Ly in my Asp on Sunday and took an hour out and and and hour back - discovered a few worlds - and unlocked all upgrades to level 3 straight away.
*snip*

How did you hand in exploration data? I didn't see a UniCarto option while docked at her base.

Return to “General Discussion”