Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Ghworg
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Ghworg
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Self defence in a T9

Postby Ghworg » Sun May 15, 2016 11:24 pm

TorTorden wrote:A trading anaconda costs only 160mil. Has a 1k in shields.
Can jump 19ly while carrying 432t, just a few mil more than a t9 that granted carries about 30 tons more but is litterally a death trap.

Bit of an understatement of the price difference. My T9 cost me 85 mil, the conda is almost twice that at 145mil (with LYR discounts). I will switch out to a conda at some point, as you say the capacity loss isn't that big and the jump distance difference likely makes up for it. Just a question of making the money first.

Schmobius wrote:I realize you don't have the money (or probably the Imperial rank) right now, but the Cutter is an excellent trading ship.

But it is expensive to properly outfit, and the rebuy is ridiculous. May be a goal to work towards though. I worked my way up to a Cutter mostly in an Asp and Python, then a short while in an Anaconda.

Yes, the cutter is the ultimate goal for my trading ship (until FD make a bigger one). I'm at Viscount, so about half way or so in ranks. I've gone through a T6, T7, Clipper, Python and now T9. Kept the Python as my general purpose mission ship, sold the others as I upgraded. Nice to have something to work towards, not sure what I'll do after I get there :-)

Orkekum
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orkekum

Postby Orkekum » Mon May 16, 2016 3:00 am

Schmobius wrote:I realize you don't have the money (or probably the Imperial rank) right now, but the Cutter is an excellent trading ship. Better than the Anaconda in my opinion. The Anaconda is a little better at combat, but with a mix of turrets and gimbals, the Cutter can defend itself from pretty much anything but a high-ranked Anaconda or another Cutter (especially if they have friends). It can even defend itself from those if you get lucky, but a positive outcome is not assured. It also holds more cargo, and can carry many more shield boosters.

But it is expensive to properly outfit, and the rebuy is ridiculous. May be a goal to work towards though. I worked my way up to a Cutter mostly in an Asp and Python, then a short while in an Anaconda. The Asp and Python can be used as traders that can defend themselves, the latter being able to carry almost 200 tons of cargo with a good self-defense build. They carry less than a T9, but you can look at NPC pirates as extra income, not something to be feared.

My python for bulletinboards carry 240 tin. I could squeze in a couple more if i dropped interdictor.but indeed it has guns to fight. My economy version costs 80 million. Several D and C parts

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Schmobius » Mon May 16, 2016 4:32 am

Do you even run shields on that thing? I think my python runs 192 tons.

Orkekum
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orkekum

Postby Orkekum » Mon May 16, 2016 5:11 am

Schmobius wrote:Do you even run shields on that thing? I think my python runs 192 tons.

My python using class 6 biweave has 192 too.
But 240ton python uses a A5 shield.

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Mon May 16, 2016 9:21 am

The trade Python carries 260t and no weapons or defences, fully laden jump range of 17Ly.

In my T-9 I carry 464t (and sacrifice 4t by having an ADS) with no weapons or active defences. The C-rated shield booster was added after a close call when shields were lost. Carrying a full load I can jump 12.5Ly.

Never lost either ship and use the similar technique as IronDuke: boost, set the jump when the FSD timer runs out, boost again if necessary. (Setups and practice may change in 2.1.)

But I'd be interested to know why he does:
IronDuke wrote:. . . fa-off, vertical thrusters up . . .

It's not something I would have considered in a T-9 - what are the benefits?

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo

Postby GlobusDiablo » Mon May 16, 2016 10:51 am

Depending on what kind of jump range you need, adding a turret or two can actually let you dispose of the smaller pests. Submit, lock on to vermin in left side menu. Slip your space cow in to full reverse and try to keep the scum in sight. Sit back and watch as your turrets do the talking. :)

IronDuke
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Iron Duke

Postby IronDuke » Mon May 16, 2016 3:07 pm

Walter wrote:The trade Python carries 260t and no weapons or defences, fully laden jump range of 17Ly.

In my T-9 I carry 464t (and sacrifice 4t by having an ADS) with no weapons or active defences. The C-rated shield booster was added after a close call when shields were lost. Carrying a full load I can jump 12.5Ly.

Never lost either ship and use the similar technique as IronDuke: boost, set the jump when the FSD timer runs out, boost again if necessary. (Setups and practice may change in 2.1.)

But I'd be interested to know why he does:
IronDuke wrote:. . . fa-off, vertical thrusters up . . .

It's not something I would have considered in a T-9 - what are the benefits?

FA-off will allow you to maintain speed and rotation after you stop using the thrusters. You basically don't want anything slowing you down or hindering your maneuverability. It needs a little practice, but works well once you have a grasp of the mechanics. However, having said all that, with the new NPC buffs in 2.1 I would certainly be wearing brown-trousers flying a T9 now.

Edit: ^ making reference to an Elite Anaconda that jumped me last night in Beta. It was brutal. :cry:
Distant Worlds Expedition 3302 | 65000 LY From SOL Club

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Speedy, Shielded Cargo Python (272t)

Postby thebs » Mon May 16, 2016 7:16 pm

Walter wrote:The trade Python carries 260t and no weapons or defences, fully laden jump range of 17Ly.
One should be able to get 272t, with just a Class 4A Shield -- quite sufficient, especially with a pair of Shield Boosters (also add in a Point Defense and some Chaff), while still including the often needed Discovery Scanner (taking up the Size 2 slot).

[Config 75M] Speedy, Shielded Cargo Python (272t)

I've also been using Class 5A Thrusters and a Class 6A Distributor -- both down one (1) sizes from the top (6 and 7, respectively) -- to keep the weight down, but the boost/recharge up. This results in a pretty good boost, as long as one can afford the 5M price for each component (you should with a Python). The overall "jump cost" of doing so is only -1ly from your configuration (actually 1.4ly with the +12t cargo). A lowly 5D Power Plant -- D-spec, and down a full two (2) sizes from its top (7) -- is light (8t), but provides just enough power for even the Shield and pair of Shield Boosters.

Yes, that's also an A-spec Life Support component in there as well. I used to just run with a D-spec, but after landing a 2nd time with less than 30s of air, I figured it's worth the small, extra weight and power requirements.

I have another, very similar configuration I do a lot of mining in, and it's "good enough" to get out of a ring with a pair, not one, but 2 ... Elite and/or Dangerous Anaconda's harassing me. So if this is good enough to shed a pair of high-rank 'Condas from a ring, it should always let you escape the worst of cases when jumped in Supercruise, no matter how bad you screw up.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Re: Speedy, Shielded Cargo Python (272t)

Postby Walter » Mon May 16, 2016 9:09 pm

thebs wrote:
One should be able to get 272t, with just a Class 4A Shield -- quite sufficient, especially with a pair of Shield Boosters (also add in a Point Defense and some Chaff), while still including the often needed Discovery Scanner (taking up the Size 2 slot).

I had one of those once, then I became careful.

thebs
Master
Master
CMDR: thebs

Re: Speedy, Shielded Cargo Python (272t)

Postby thebs » Mon May 16, 2016 9:39 pm

Walter wrote:
thebs wrote:
I had one of those once, then I became careful.

Er, um, what? Please explain. Ergo, quoting you again ...
I mean ... I'll hide it in 'Spoiler' tags
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by thebs on Tue May 17, 2016 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
CMDR TheBS - Yet Another Middle Aged American (YAMAA) and Extremely Casual Gamer often confused for a Total Noob

Return to “General Discussion”