Engineers 2.1 Beta - findings so far

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Phillipus
Expert
Expert
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Engineers 2.1 Beta - findings so far

Postby Phillipus » Fri May 13, 2016 8:08 am

Cannons seem to be back to their former glory.

Generally, with the new NPC AI, one's tactics are going to have be more boom and zoom and factor in a longer TTK.

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Walter » Fri May 13, 2016 9:27 am

Phillipus wrote:Cannons seem to be back to their former glory.

Generally, with the new NPC AI, one's tactics are going to have be more boom and zoom and factor in a longer TTK.

The AI definitely doesn't run when shields are down in the latest beta. Last night I was taking out everything from Imperial Fighters to Cutters in a FdL in v2.0. Just tried the new beta and was destroyed - after a long contest - by an Asp Scout, which seemed to be able to out-perform the FdL at every turn.

Going to have to rethink a lot of things - perhaps it was just me that was out-performed.

Glad I'm not just starting out.

charlie2alpha
Expert
Expert
CMDR: charlie2alpha

Postby charlie2alpha » Fri May 13, 2016 9:42 am

Walter wrote:
Phillipus wrote:Cannons seem to be back to their former glory.

The AI definitely doesn't run when shields are down in the latest beta. Last night I was taking out everything from Imperial Fighters to Cutters in a FdL in v2.0. Just tried the new beta and was destroyed - after a long contest - by an Asp Scout, which seemed to be able to out-perform the FdL at every turn.

Going to have to rethink a lot of things - perhaps it was just me that was out-performed.

Glad I'm not just starting out.

Ouch, sounds quite nasty. I hope the beta testers do their job and give the right feedback to Frontier to balance the thing, if it becomes too hard they will push players away, and they don't want that, they need 'em here to buy the new yearly expansions!

Phillipus
Expert
Expert

Postby Phillipus » Fri May 13, 2016 10:58 am

I lost my shields a few times, and my hull got bashed. I'm not complaining about a harder AI at all, but it will mean that I probably won't be earning my income from RES so much. :-)

Nethaufer
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Nethaufer

Postby Nethaufer » Fri May 13, 2016 2:15 pm

Ugh, gambling on trying to get good hardpoints for my FAS. If doing the gamble with fish right now is any sign, to properly get the most out of your hardpoints when you gamble actual resources, you're gonna need a lot of time. And what sucks is there seems to be one or two weapon mods that are a slight downside to not having anything at all, like the emmissive rounds, which to me are useless 'cause I don't think AI silent run so I'll just be left with a gun that overheats my ship quicker, which is what I really don't need. Although, found an interesting mod for the multis that autoreload, even when you shoot, at the cost of a smaller clip size.

I'll probably stick to core internal and optional internal engineer mods, come live.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Fri May 13, 2016 4:49 pm

Walter wrote:Glad I'm not just starting out.

You and I both......

Fings aint what they used to be......

:)

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Phillipus
Expert
Expert

Postby Phillipus » Fri May 13, 2016 7:21 pm

I found a video by someone (not me) where you can see pretty much what the NPC AI is like now. Somehow the NPCs all manage to stay out of the firing line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvH7vPZULc4

Nethaufer
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Nethaufer

Postby Nethaufer » Fri May 13, 2016 7:39 pm

Phillipus wrote:I found a video by someone (not me) where you can see pretty much what the NPC AI is like now. Somehow the NPCs all manage to stay out of the firing line.

Well, at least they're (hopefully) listening to people about the NPC changes. They tried to change the AI so that they didn't run like they did in the last update, I imagine there will be some fine tuning in Beta 5.

charlie2alpha
Expert
Expert
CMDR: charlie2alpha

Re: RE: Re: Engineers 2.1 Beta - findings so far

Postby charlie2alpha » Fri May 13, 2016 7:44 pm

Phillipus wrote:I found a video by someone (not me) where you can see pretty much what the NPC AI is like now. Somehow the NPCs all manage to stay out of the firing line.

That's almost unplayable, if they're gonna force us to put turrets they should stop the chaff spam at least. It's game, I don't plan to start putting extra effort on it. If they make it unplayable, well, it's goodbye time for me.

Cometborne
Master
Master
CMDR: Cometborne

Postby Cometborne » Fri May 13, 2016 8:17 pm

Phillipus wrote:I found a video by someone (not me) where you can see pretty much what the NPC AI is like now.

This is actually depressing, if they do not tone this down a lot, flying a freighter or an explorer will become suicide, and that in turn will drive the non-pew-pew folks first into low-waking to desktop, and ultimately out of the game.
Dirty deeds done dirt cheap for reasonable prices

Return to “General Discussion”