I saw my first group commander yesterday...

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Neillm
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Zachus
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

I saw my first group commander yesterday...

Postby Neillm » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:41 pm

it was in some random system (LHS 3262) and I spotted Commander TerryFried buzzing about in supercruise. I sent him a message but didn't get a response but hey, we all know how easy it is to miss things in that Comms panel.

Anyway, the point of all this waffle is to ask if there is an easier way to find out who you can see on your scanner without having to turn and face them? I could see the ship type but the commander name was blank until I did this...which is a major pain in supercruise.

Any thoughts? Or am I doing something wrong.

Oh, and I did see someone else as I charged out of a station exit but didn't get a chance to see who it was.

All in all...loving the group and the great vibe I'm getting. Hell, even the forum is a more chilled place than the main one which is turning into a bit of a rant fest at the moment.

:D

Vikinger
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Vulcor

Re: I saw my first group commander yesterday...

Postby Vikinger » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:50 pm

You are doing it right :D

Atm we have to face the target to first scan, then we can open a com channel. Its a weird way to communicate in the game and I do hope they change it.

Nemetos
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Nemetos

Postby Nemetos » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:00 pm

Vikinger wrote:
Atm we have to face the target to first scan, then we can open a com channel.

Laugh Out Loud !!!
Thankyou ... that has just explained something to me . Was wondering why some times I didnt get a scan and some times I did ,... I put it down to being random , or range .

Duh ... . > hand to forehead <

Cheers !!

Vikinger
Competent
Competent

Postby Vikinger » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:11 pm

Oh and you don't have to actively scan ( with a cargo scanner etc) You just need to face the target and wait for the normal passive scan to complete.
So best way to do it is to target the player. turn so you face him/her, and wait for the passive scan to complete so you se on your left side panel in contacts, who it is. Then you can open a com channel.

Nemetos
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Nemetos

Postby Nemetos » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:39 pm

Cheers mate ...

That explains why sometimes when I see a hollow rectangle in scanner - ie Player , and I select next target until they are highlighted, to say Hi over the text chat thing, then I dont get their ID, just the ship type ...

Simple

I will practice this more - unless Im in the process of docking - which could prove disasterous ! ! !

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:12 pm

Another way (but still not a very quick one) is to use the cycle next ship/previous ship command until the commander you want to target appears inside braces on the scanner.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Vikinger
Competent
Competent

Postby Vikinger » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:37 pm

Flip wrote:Another way (but still not a very quick one) is to use the cycle next ship/previous ship command until the commander you want to target appears inside braces on the scanner.

Aye but you still need to face the target to do a passive scan so you get the Commanders name, first then you can start a com. If you have got the commanders name you don't have to face him to do a com. he will show up on the com list,

I wish the game could remember those we had passively scanned so if they jump away, and next time you se same commander in another space you don't have to scan.

Neillm
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Zachus

Postby Neillm » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:40 pm

Vikinger wrote:You are doing it right :D

Atm we have to face the target to first scan, then we can open a com channel. Its a weird way to communicate in the game and I do hope they change it.

Thanks Vikinger...at least it wasn't me being a tool. :)

You're right though, I really do hope they change it because it's very cumbersome and doesn't really encourage communication.

Vikinger
Competent
Competent

Postby Vikinger » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:45 pm

Neillm wrote:
Vikinger wrote:You are doing it right :D

Thanks Vikinger...at least it wasn't me being a tool. :)

You're right though, I really do hope they change it because it's very cumbersome and doesn't really encourage communication.

Indeed because we have a short time span to do all those manoeuvres to just be able to have a friendly chatt. :)
Its just dont make sense and are to complicated. Realism is one thing but not to the extreme :)
And its actually not realistic that we have to face the target first and then to com. Passive scanners should work 360 degree, and active scanners, face the target in approximate range

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:03 pm

It would also help a lot to get an audio announcement when receiving a message!
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Return to “General Discussion”