Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Question for New Members

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Mon May 02, 2016 5:36 pm

Why did you join Mobius?

I'll give my answer. I was a new player, either still in the beta or just after release. I was taking the trader's path, trying to mind my own business and get ahead. I was still in a Sidewinder when I was murdered the first couple of times. Interdicted once by a Cobra, and attacked by a Python near a station. No words were exchanged. No demands were made. I was just wiped from existence in the blink of an eye. The third time I was in a Hauler, sightseeing around a RES, when a Viper decided to jump me. Again, not a word. I tried fighting back, noob that I was, but I didn't stand a chance - the game was still miles ahead of me. Then I found Mobius, and not wanting to play in solo, I joined.

I've been thinking, for a while now, of going back into open. With experience, it seems like it should be easy to avoid griefers. Like with NPCs, just submit, boost, & jump. Station campers could be a bigger problem, but easily ignored with shields and by boosting in and out of stations. I suppose I'd be most worried about rammers - no sure what to do about them. Of course, there is also the possibility of winging up and maybe taking it to the griefres (would that make me a griefer by ruining their game?). I guess I'm wondering if Mobius is a safe haven for new players, but not really required for those with more experience?

Or am I being foolish? Part of me feels that open is still full of childish behavior and name calling (just youth culture?), and this old man certainly doesn't need that while I'm trying to enjoy a game.

(I guess old members can answer too, if they want to, but I'm looking to hear about the more recent experiences)
It's time to give this another go.

Crimson
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Crimson Paladin

Re: Question for New Members

Postby Crimson » Mon May 02, 2016 6:07 pm

Well, that is interesting. To answer your original question, I joined to play with like-minded souls. I wanted the relative safety of playing solo, but craved the human interaction element too - so Möbius seemed like a perfect fit.

Like you, I wonder about taking my Anaconda into open play, and if we could wing up in a group of 3 or more I think it would be a blast. Maybe I'm missing out on something, but I think you're right - all I'm missing out on is the childish behavior and name calling. Get enough of that in "real" life!

Going solo in open is something I've done, but I honestly had more human interaction in the MobiusPvE group. CMDR's are rare and interesting to come across. Mostly, they keep to themselves.

If I'm looking to get ganked, HAZRes has been offering multiple wings of 3 Federal Dropships. Talk about swimming with the Sharks! I followed three groups of three that kept hanging together. They would often attack other "wanted" ships, so I would join in. That lasted until they decided to turn on me for some reason... Then with shields down I turned and ran. Don't think I can survive 9 Dropships at the same time!

Anyway, if you do decide to go to open and want to wing up, I'm game. Could be fun for a while.

Cmdr Chemtrail
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Brassik

Postby Cmdr Chemtrail » Mon May 02, 2016 7:05 pm

I was pottering about in solo, reading the steam forums, when I read about a post mentioning Mobuis pve.
I still have no interest in pvp in elite although I may try the arena soon.

Mainly due to me being a n00b and doing the stuff i want to do. Probabily in the wrong order and the longest slowest way to get rich lol I havent really met any other players yet. Ive only noticed another Cmdr's as I travel from a station and see their icon on my radar.

I have managed to drop off some maps at Azreal though so i am getting about a bit more.
As I get a bit richer and a bit better at what im actually doing, in game I'll be looking t wing up and be a more active member

Arguendo
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Arguendo

Postby Arguendo » Mon May 02, 2016 8:33 pm

I started out Solo, as that was the only recognisable mode from my days back in Frontier Elite, and I couldn't wrap my head around Elite being a PvP game. Then, like Chemtrail, I surfed a few forums and found posts about Mobius. Seemed like the perfect group to be in. The setting from the original games (PVE) was intact, but it was also possible to hook up and play with other players.
Haven't regretted doing it that way, and not stepping into the Wild anytime soon ;)

mexican star
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: HARN

Postby mexican star » Mon May 02, 2016 8:43 pm

I started out playing in the live game then after being killed more than a few times moved to solo play. I've been playing in there for a while doing trading and a bit of bounty hunting, when I heard about mobius and thought it would be nice to interact with players who weren't out to kill or rob me. :)

“They were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Naturally they became heroes.”

Primeh
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Primeh

Postby Primeh » Mon May 02, 2016 10:06 pm

When I first started playing ED last year, it was because I was talked into it during a steam sale by a friend. We played in a private group and was fine. It lacked any other player contact but we were more than often playing together so it didnt matter too much. He eventually quit playing so I decided to go into open.

I got away with it for a few days with mostly no contacts, seeing the odd cmdr on the radar here and there out among the stars and sometimes at the stations. Then I got a little close to Lave and had my first run in with a pir.. griefer. I cant call them a pirate as most have said, theres no comms just interdict and attack. I was in my trusty T7 and they hit on me in a Vulture. Obviously being new and not knowing about the submit/run tactic, instinct was to fight the interdiction and then run when it failed. I died obviously, moaned to myself then quit for the night. The next day I played, it didnt take me long for a second interdiction shortly after logging in. Again I fought it and failed, but this time fought back (yes in a t7 :P)and was mullered again unsurprisingly, by a 2 vipers in a wing I think it was. I rage quit for the day to play something else.

All this being said, I wasnt overly bothered about it either time, other than being flustered in those moments. It was Open and I assumed it was the way of the world... but I was playing with other people! A couple days after that I decided to roll in my trusty Cobra. I could still haul an ok amount and have a decent chance in a fight. My third encounter with an interdiction met a different outcome. I failed to escape it, still new to the mechanic at the time. So head on with a Federal Dropship griefer I decided to fight, and it was glorious. This time, I was up for a fight, and fight I did. I kept behind him for the majority of the fight. His shields had failed, this was the one. Payback for all those griefers, how does it feel !

His ship vanishes..... He combat-logged.....

Obviously extremely annoyed, this instantly killed it for me. I take my licks and lose money after hard work earning it, and this scroat just combat logs to save his pathetic ass. I was finished with multiplayer Elite. I went into the forums to moan about it and found a thread all about combat loggers. In that thread there was a link back here to Mobius and I havent looked back since. Today with the advanced tactics like silent running and all that, im happy staying where I am.

Jellicoe
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Jellicoe

Postby Jellicoe » Tue May 03, 2016 3:52 pm

I do sometimes play in open but find it lacks the immersion that I like about the game, I really don't like the PvP 'meta' and having to set my ship up differently for human opponents, to my character every ship in the game is just that - a ship with a pilot, there are no 'players' or 'AI' but at the same time I enjoy co-operative play and genuine interaction thus Mobius works well for me.

W.T.Sherman
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: W.T.Sherman

Postby W.T.Sherman » Tue May 03, 2016 9:48 pm

Jellicoe wrote:I do sometimes play in open but find it lacks the immersion that I like about the game, I really don't like the PvP 'meta' and having to set my ship up differently for human opponents, to my character every ship in the game is just that - a ship with a pilot, there are no 'players' or 'AI' but at the same time I enjoy co-operative play and genuine interaction thus Mobius works well for me.

Yep, that's my experience too, I'm a "utility" player, and I fly utility ships. I don't want to spend all of my time and resource gaming the game, I want to play it.
I'm just here for comic relief. (That includes in-game) :D

Th3_R1pp3r
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Th3_R1pp3r
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Th3_R1pp3r » Fri May 06, 2016 10:38 pm

discovered mobius when I was looking for a space simulator to play alone and found elite dangerous, when asked about the subject I found that the best way to play and also interact with other players peacefully was joining the mobius server, so that's the main reason why I decided to join

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Fri May 06, 2016 11:37 pm

Thanks for the answers. :)

I think you guys are right when you say Elite, having played the original game, just doesn't feel right playing PVP. And I think FD encourages it too much, not even discouraging griefing. But I should add that I headed straight for Lave, unknowingly into the heart of griefer territory, because I wanted to get to the core worlds of the original game. :roll:
It's time to give this another go.

Return to “General Discussion”