Imperial Cutter - combat and loadouts

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Phillipus
Expert
Expert
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Imperial Cutter - combat and loadouts

Postby Phillipus » Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:25 am

I've been playing with alternate builds in my second Cutter. I found that for most purposes 8C thrusters are fine and I don't think I actually need 8A thrusters. This allows a little more power for more shield boosters and power-hungry weapons.

See the video by Kornelius - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jX_CDRxSGAA

Phillipus
Expert
Expert

Postby Phillipus » Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:38 pm

Here's my latest Cutter loadout - http://coriolis.io/outfit/imperial_cutt ... ?bn=Cutter

Note that I'm using 8C thrusters and, surprisingly, two large 3C beam lasers. One would think that the 7A power distributor would not be enough for these power hungry beam lasers and that's true but, because of the Cutter's poor manoeuvrability, you can bring these to bear on the enemy for just enough time to make a difference. Of course, a volley of 1 huge and 4 medium cannons to the enemy's power plant finishes things off rather nicely.

holl0918
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: holl0918

Postby holl0918 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:13 am

Who else thinks that the Cutter will become much nicer after the ship launched fighters go live? I think it will be the best large ship after that, the fighters will cover your ass, and the cutter already has better internal module setup (allows for massive shields AND good SCBs while still having room for other things) and speed than the anaconda and corvette.

tinnitus
Master
Master
CMDR: Nar Nar Goon
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby tinnitus » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:07 am

I think the Cutter is a vast improvement now after engineers having Wing(s) will add to that. Of course that applies to all the other ships that have been engineered and the Ships that can hold fighters. I believe the Vette is a better fighting ship more nimble, 2 Huge Hard-points well placed. The Cutter's belly guns are as well as her top two are well placed sort of in alignment with her center of axis Fixed belly weapons would work well especially in a Wing not that I would use Fixed on my Cutter, the two medium HP on her wings are great for GBeams they would fry smaller faster ships but the spread will cause her to miss at times and at times hit ships that you could not hit with other weapons if that makes sense.

Anyway I do not like Ships that have a Big Nose the Cutter has one but is angled down nowhere near pronounced as the Conda and Vette. I have a large nose and wear eyeglasses looking through my glasses down my nose then out the Canopy, down the long nose of a ship is just too much for me :) sometimes one can see their own reflection in the Monitor making it appear as if my own nose is touching my ships nose MAN that is just too much for me to handle. :) Captain Jean-Luc Picard once said, " Well, they say if you travel far enough you will eventually meet yourself." I have done that. :)
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius

Postby Schmobius » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:19 am

I have 3,869mj shields on my Cutter. Elite anacondas attack me, and I giggle as I kill them without losing a ring of shields. Yes, the corvette is more nimble, and probably has slightly better DPS, but it can't shield-tank like this. I could probably increase the shields even further still.

Darwin
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Darwin

Postby Darwin » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:39 am

The Cutter is still the ship I fly the most.
I am with Tinnitus, I just dont like flying the ships with the bridge at the back, Corvette and Anaconda just end up annoying me after a while.

And with some engineer tweaks, the shields are great for 1v1 battles with the elite Anaconda pirates that follow me everywhere

Have even dropped the SCB, I just start jumping if they go down, and with engineered hull strength, I have even finished the fight first.

Turning off the audio notifications for FA On and FA Off also helps, as do dirty drives ;)

Marvellous machines.

https://vimeo.com/182462484
“Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time”
CMDR Darwin, Inara profile

Phillipus
Expert
Expert

Postby Phillipus » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:34 am

Darwin wrote:Turning off the audio notifications for FA On and FA Off also helps, as do dirty drives ;)

This.

My combat Cutter runs with engineer mods on shields, power plant, dirty drives, FSD and special effects on multi-cannons. Sometimes I put beam turrets on the top large hardpoints, sometimes not. As a great all-rounder, the Cutter is my go-to ship.

I also have a second Cutter for trading. After a nice FSD range upgrade it works nicely for long range Sothis runs with 720 tons cargo space for carrying all of that, er, biowaste. :shock:

tinnitus
Master
Master
CMDR: Nar Nar Goon

Postby tinnitus » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:45 pm

Phillipus wrote:
Darwin wrote:Turning off the audio notifications for FA On and FA Off also helps, as do dirty drives ;)

I also have a second Cutter for trading. After a nice FSD range upgrade it works nicely for long range Sothis runs with 720 tons cargo space for carrying all of that, er, biowaste. :shock:

Second Cutter for Trading now that's an awesome idea, soon as I get Fed Ranked to purchase the FGS I'm buying a Trade Cutter. Am down here in CEOS/SOTHIS stacking 8-24 Cargo and Pigeon Missions, Second Trip Back here today stuck 100% Fed Warrant Officer but when that special Navy Mission finally pops up am more than likely going to be at 50/60 % Ensign. This is the place to crank up Fed Ranking and make a few coins along the way. Need to get out of here sick of instance Interdiction and Security bouncing off the Nose are on the increase. Extra kill credits for the Conda and FDL do add up.
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar

Postby Falcon_D » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:41 pm

I like my Cutter. Modded Dirty Drives, FSD, Charged Enhanced PD, light weight reinforced alloy, 6A Prismatics shields and 1 Heavy Duty shield booster. Also a fuel scoop so I have only about 600+ tons of cargo space (I always carry an ADS on all my ships.)
But for some reason I prefer to fly my Corvette more than my Cutter. Even though my Vette is purely configured for Combat while the Cutter is more for trade and at times multi-purpose.

o7

holl0918
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: holl0918

Postby holl0918 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:05 am

This is my fully modified multipurpose build. http://edshipyard.com/#/L=90_0,FCrGv5Ee ... q01LU40nE4.

I have been debating trading out the SCB for something else as i never lose my shields unless i do something stupid. I run out of ammo in a CZ long before that happens. I find that if something gets behind me my fighter takes the agro, giving me time to turn around. If not, i boost fa off and no problem. Was considering working in a huge g5 focused PA, but decided it wouldnt be worth it on a PVE build. I use the heavy duty military composites because facing a full phased laser build is dangerous otherwise.

Return to “General Discussion”