New res farming ship

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Black Rose

Re: New res farming ship

Postby Black Rose » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:21 pm

TorTorden wrote:
Orkekum wrote:
StaticRadion wrote:For the love of god don't go from a python to a clipper. It is like chopping your arms off to be faster in a foot race. Sure you will have lost some mass, but you will be forever gimping yourself.

There are a lot of people on these forums willing to help you with opinions and builds, they don't always agree with me, but to really help we need to see what you are currently running. Give us a link to your python so we can get an idea of where it could be improved.

There is always a chance you may be doing something sub-optimal, read wrong, or that we know something you don't. For example in a RES you don't need large sensors because all potentially hostile pirate ships you come within 7km of will move to scan you unless they are in a fight, that 1t of any cargo will make them attack you first, and that stated values for shield cells on coriolis are wrong since 1.5/2.0.

Clipper is oddly fun in res, i do have a python that i occasio ally res hunt in, but my vulture and courier are still res kings there

Fun. Like being a pinball could sometimes be considered fun.

The Clipper is a "boom and zoom" kind of ship which is very much like how the AI drives its ships. I am on the fence with the Clipper mostly because it is hideously expensive when compared to other ships that can easily wreck it.

Orkekum
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orkekum
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Orkekum » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:35 pm

TorTorden wrote:
Orkekum wrote:
StaticRadion wrote:For the love of god don't go from a python to a clipper. It is like chopping your arms off to be faster in a foot race. Sure you will have lost some mass, but you will be forever gimping yourself.

There are a lot of people on these forums willing to help you with opinions and builds, they don't always agree with me, but to really help we need to see what you are currently running. Give us a link to your python so we can get an idea of where it could be improved.

There is always a chance you may be doing something sub-optimal, read wrong, or that we know something you don't. For example in a RES you don't need large sensors because all potentially hostile pirate ships you come within 7km of will move to scan you unless they are in a fight, that 1t of any cargo will make them attack you first, and that stated values for shield cells on coriolis are wrong since 1.5/2.0.

Clipper is oddly fun in res, i do have a python that i occasio ally res hunt in, but my vulture and courier are still res kings there

Fun, not efficient :D

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:49 pm

Orkekum wrote:
TorTorden wrote:
Orkekum wrote:Clipper is oddly fun in res, i do have a python that i occasio ally res hunt in, but my vulture and courier are still res kings there

Now that I can agree with :D
And efficiency is overrated.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
CMDR: StaticRadion

Postby StaticRadion » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:05 pm

TorTorden wrote:
Orkekum wrote:
TorTorden wrote:Fun. Like being a pinball could sometimes be considered fun.

Ok, now clam down you fun loving nuts. The point I want to make is that no matter if you are going for fun or efficiency you can usually do better than the Clipper especially when you are spending over 115 million credits.

Orkekum
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orkekum

Postby Orkekum » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:11 pm

StaticRadion wrote:
TorTorden wrote:
Orkekum wrote:

Ok, now clam down you fun loving nuts. The point I want to make is that no matter if you are going for fun or efficiency you can usually do better than the Clipper especially when you are spending over 115 million credits.

exactly why i stripped my clipper for exploring and now i use imp eagle, courier adn vulture for combat, now adn then python :D

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:51 pm

True.
Myself have a fairly stripped down vulture sitting in my home.
No boosters to speak of mainly engines and dual chaff.
I could even run two large beam lasers on it without too much power management.
Rule of thumb is don't get shot at. Problem is I tend to forget I'm not in my corvette and start taking on wings and what not.

I can also really recommend themail courier it cost half that of a vulture. Has as much Shields as a Python and running a fixed beam in center hardpoint with two multicannons it chews out anything you want.

And the circular cockpit is another lovely feature.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:24 pm

I have a Python, FDL, and FAS all combat equipped. Each has its own unique pluses and minuses. The Python kills quickly but lacks the manoeuvrability of the other two, so you're going to spend time circling with FA-Off. The FDL is fast and manoeuvrable, but lacks the fire power of the Python (unless you are good with huge weapons), so although you'll stay on target more it takes longer to kill stuff (but not much). The FAS has great manoeuvrability, but is slower than the FDL, it is very strong however and can tank most situations (you loose your shields you just carry on), the FAS's main drawback is its odd weapons placement which means there is a sweet-spot where all weapons fire.

All three are perfectly capable RES ships, and it really comes down to personal preference, I regularly swap between them and am just as happy in each, but for pure fun (for me at least) the FDL wins.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:21 pm

Yup, it's been said time and time again.
It mostly comes down to preference and the worst it costs you (unless you die) is a 10% loss when sell a ship, so I intend to and recommend trying them all.

As for that I have discovered that the Ferdie is actually the perfect ground assault ship, at least for me.
2 shield boosters, a large beam laser (to be upgraded when more huge guns come) and 4 medium dumbfires.
And with the speed it's just amazingly good at doing bombing sweeps :D.

http://coriolis.io/outfit/fer_de_lance/ ... A?bn=Heidi

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Nethaufer
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Nethaufer

Postby Nethaufer » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:24 pm

I have a lot of fun with the FAS. And I don't find it necessary to A fit it. I've got a 67mil outfitting setup on it, and it works like a charm.

Falcon_D
Master
Master
CMDR: Falcon Darkstar

Postby Falcon_D » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:18 am

I love my Python.
Pretty much use it for everything. In a Res it's pretty good. But the manoeuvrability is not as good as the FAS or FDL (haven't flown the last 2, just going by how the NPCs fly them). I have a lot of problems in my Python against an FAS.
Currently flying a Corvette. Have used it in Res sites and am currently using it in a CZ. For some reason in a Res it does not kill as fast as my Python. In a CZ it has some problems taking down small ships fast. Big ships no problem. I think it has to do with me replacing the C3G pulses on top with C4F canons and then with C4F PACs.
I really have to try the FDL and FAS one of these days. Need to save up enough money for them 1st as there is no way I'm stripping down any of my other ships or even selling them just to try out the FDL and FAS.

Have fun, fly safe. o7

Return to “General Discussion”