Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Judson
Master
Master
CMDR: Judson
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: What's in a name?

Postby Judson » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:29 pm

My game name is in homage to my late father who's nickname was Jud.

Bowza
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Bowza
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Bowza » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:04 pm

My Nick name / Handle comes from my Dogs name.

I have used from the days of dial up bbs boards and M.U.D's

In reference to a previous post I was known in the arcades as DED, as you used to enter your initials at game over point.

Colin The Grey
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Colin The Grey

Postby Colin The Grey » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:21 pm

My character name goes way way back to the days of tabletop RPG's when I used to play Runequest - Colin The Grey was my barbarian fighter - thick as 3 short planks but thews of steel lol.

Since then every character in every offline and online game from Asheron's Call, to Elite has been either Colin The Grey or ColinVGrey if the naming conventions didn't allow spaces.

I still have the original character sheet for CTG from back in '84

Black Rose

Postby Black Rose » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:28 pm

Orkekum wrote:my CMDR name is a nickname my sisters gave me, so i now use it everywhere, no one knows what it means(me neither) and no american know how to pronounce it correctly :D
In games i tend to go for michael for some reason

Its a plant according to Google and also the name of allot of people :P

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=Orkekum

Black Rose

Postby Black Rose » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:37 pm

When I played that vampire game I referred to, my actual game name was Desmonia Corvale and later when I was recruited by one of the more powerful clans as an executioner and assassin my title was thus: Desmonia Corvale: First Cardinal, La Sombra the Sabbot. Quite a mouthful so Black Rose just stuck. :)

Orkekum
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orkekum

Postby Orkekum » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:28 pm

Black Rose wrote:
Orkekum wrote:my CMDR name is a nickname my sisters gave me, so i now use it everywhere, no one knows what it means(me neither) and no american know how to pronounce it correctly :D
In games i tend to go for michael for some reason

Its a plant according to Google and also the name of allot of people :P

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=Orkekum

I use the sites it lists, and i am a hobby photographer, hence the plant :D

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:35 pm

TorTorden wrote:...ala's such is not the case hence why I often answer to Bob on TS.

Thats Acka Bob. Or AKA:BOB :)

Loriath is actually a Misspelling of Loraith which is what I wanted when I first started using it in FPS games a While back. Loraith was a play on Low Wraith. But I spelled it wrong, and it ended up being Loriath. Got used to others calling me Lori. Seems shortening longer names is all the rage. TorTorden is Just Tor or Bob. Dudley_Dawg is just Dawg. I am just Lori.

When I started writing about my character I decided it was my last name, and the First name is Pete. Dunno why.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

CMDR Abil Midena
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Abil Midena

Postby CMDR Abil Midena » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:54 pm

JohnLuke wrote:My alias seems to have something to do with a si-fi TV show from a while back. :roll:

I was a big Star Trek fan back in the day, and watched nearly every episode of every series... at least once.

I chose not to use the 'real' spelling of Jean-Luc Picard's name, because I didn't want to sound like a Frenchman. (no offence to any French players in our group :) )

I Americanized the spelling, and here we are.

The episode where Q comes in and says he has a delivery for "Gene Luck Pick-erd" was hilarious.

My name is a combo of 4 prior cat's/dog names. My pets tend to be family members, not really pets.
My Youtube Channel
Elite - Elite - Elite

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:27 pm

Xebeth is a name I saw in a book about demons ages ago, it's a demon of lies and legends, who invents untrue tales (or is it? :P ).

Actually I found out much later that the correct spelling is Xezbeth, but that may be a lie.

It ended up being my first WoW character and has sort of followed me ever since.

In game it's the name my Commander uses for the same reason, he saw it in an old book, how he had access to a paper book, and what his real name is remains hidden for reasons that may one day be revealed ;)
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
CMDR: StaticRadion

Postby StaticRadion » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:44 pm

TorTorden wrote:I think it still feels weird and wrong to use spaces in file or directory names.
Logins and or usernames should be lowercase and no special characters. Passwords go nuts.

I ran a third party app for my eve alliance and not a week went by when didn't have at least one idiot who couldn't login cause he registered his username in klingon and threw in semicolon and a uppercase letter in the middle just for fun.

The amount of stupid stuff people do trying to be clever..
Yes I know I should have scrubbed the input field better but I'm no real coder and when I wrote it is honestly had no clue what so ever.

Oh god yes, this I understand. In the past when the mods would screw up and we would end up with 2 or more people with the same common ass name like "DEATHSTALKER" I would go batty. Using your name for example in one weekend we would end up with a TorTorden, torTorden, Tortorden, and tortorden because someone made a change to exceptions.

I have been staticradion for a long time, but before that in RP I was Rainrix or Kayate and I carried those names over into games like WOW for my mage and warrior respectively. I have always liked original single named characters that is why I was sad when people in WOW and other communities started to steal my names.

I too wish more games had solid restrictions on names. I like having capital letters, lowercase only always bothered me, but they should be set up to be mutually exclusive to lowercase letters.

Return to “General Discussion”