Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Maraketh
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Mara'Keth
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: What's in a name?

Postby Maraketh » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:43 pm

I derive my name Mara from various folklore.

In Buddhism Mara was a demon that attempted to sway the Buddha from enlightenment.
In Germanic folklore Mara is a demon that sits on peoples chests while they sleep and brings them nightmares.
Mara is also a Sanskrit word meaning a personification of death aka. grim reaper.

Golem
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Cmdr GolemXIV
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Golem » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:47 pm

Golem XIV is a philosophical Novel by Stanislaw Lem in wich a supercomputer is becoming self-awarenes and starts talking about humans and our standing in this universe.
Last edited by Golem on Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pville_Piper
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Pville_Piper

Postby Pville_Piper » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:36 am

My name comes from a combination of the towns nickname Pville (Prattville) and the fact I played the pipes. I have had that name for since 2004. Before that I was the Dittogunner. I served in the US Navy onboard the USS New Jersey as a Gunners Mate assigned to Turret 1. I was the right gun captain and the guns name was Ditto. Hence Dittogunner.
As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote. I love to sail forbidden seas, and land on barbarous coasts...

Windows 10, I5 3570K processorMSI GTX970, Acer XB270H G-synch monitor, ASRock Extreme 4

Anfieldmarauder
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Anfield Marauder

Postby Anfieldmarauder » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:45 pm

Mine is simple, I'm Liverpudlian and the Marauder part was something I was called in my younger days, apparently, in-game its Anfield Marauder...so I've been informed although I actually thought I had put anfieldmarauder - only came to light when someone tried to add me as a friend..the difference is marginal but....there ya go! Hello everyone!

Jack Dunhill
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Jack Dunhill

Postby Jack Dunhill » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:25 am

Jack is the closet english version of my real first name. I couldn't figure out what to use as last name, but then i saw pack of dunhill smokes on the table and that became my characters last name. I have been using Jack Dunhill in games for a really long time.

Im from Finland btw, so this is going to be my excuse for my poor english (you should hear me try to speak english)... :lol:

Orkekum
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orkekum

Postby Orkekum » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:40 am

Jack Dunhill wrote:Jack is the closet english version of my real first name. I couldn't figure out what to use as last name, but then i saw pack of dunhill smokes on the table and that became my characters last name. I have been using Jack Dunhill in games for a really long time.

Im from Finland btw, so this is going to be my excuse for my poor english (you should hear me try to speak english)... :lol:

Ei se niin vaikeeta ole ;-)
Puhumalla ja käyttämällä oppii!

(apologies, just had to comment ot tis fellow Finn(ished) commander!)

Jack Dunhill
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Jack Dunhill

Postby Jack Dunhill » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:46 pm

Yeah i know, i'll try to work up courage to actually talk on that mic... :lol:

Orkekum
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Orkekum

Postby Orkekum » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:33 pm

Jack Dunhill wrote:Yeah i know, i'll try to work up courage to actually talk on that mic... :lol:

Just do it! :D
i started back in 2006, was bored and found a random chat site >_>

evovi
Master
Master
CMDR: Auloria

Postby evovi » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:07 pm

I have two names that stuck through gaming - again back to only three letters it was Evo, a variance on this in Wow because Evo was taken was Evovi, which I used in my forum name, then again due to WoW playing on an RP server and needing a real sounding name - my Holy paladin - inspired by Aurora Borealis - with some careful merging became Auloria - which I thought was more fitting for a commander name :)

Corvus_Tenebrarum
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Corvus Tenebrarum

Postby Corvus_Tenebrarum » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:29 pm

I have had two names I have stuck with over the years, going all the way back to my first MMO, Ultima Online in '97.

In any case, this game was special. I decided to venture out into the black with a new name and an infancy of character. There actually was an inspiration behind it however. Elite historically shares a nationality with another past time of mine. Corvus = Raven. Tenebrarum = genetive plural form of tenebrae (of the darkness). Yes, I know it is not grammatically correct. But who expected Latin to survive intact to 3302?

Go Raven Guard ;).

Return to “General Discussion”