Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
AJStoner
Competent
Competent
CMDR: A.J. Stoner
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Some things about the in-game ships that bother me

Postby AJStoner » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:15 am

*First, you can’t view the numerical stats of your current load in-game without having another ship in the same port and storing the one you want to view. Also, while there is a cool ship-building tool online (spacing the name right now) that lets you plan load-outs and see how your power priorities work (or don’t) you can’t simply do that in the outfitter and you really should be able to. Even if you could only do this once per ship it would allow a great deal of customization and customizing your ship is a big deal in terms of immersion.

*Limited versatility/customization option because of the preset slots. It would be nice if you could break-down a slot into two, perhaps loosing 1 class value in the process. For example: make a class 3 slot two class one slots, a class 4 slot a 2 and a 1, a class 5 slot a 3 and a 1 or two 2’s, et al. Does anyone carry a fuel transfer line? They might if they could play with the spacing a bit more.

*I want to be able to upload and use my own decals! I’ll pay the store a reasonable fee, I just want the option. Custom paint jobs would also be nice. Again, I’d pay a small amount of cash for the in-game option.

Not really ship related but some of the cargo options (or lack thereof) are getting on my nerves. If I find an occupied escape pod my options are to sell them into slavery or leave them to rot? I can’t just bring them to safety and maybe get a little reward? If I find black boxes, diplomatic bags, or the like I HAVE to sell them on the black market; I can’t just turn them in to the authorities like, ideally, a good citizen would do?
Aim to please; shoot to kill.

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Some things about the in-game ships that bother me

Postby Walter » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:50 am

Welcome to the ED universe.

Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO

Postby Avago-Earo » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:07 pm

AJStoner, I agree with all your points. And Walter sums it up well.
"Wibble"

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:20 pm

AJStoner wrote:*Limited versatility/customization option because of the preset slots. It would be nice if you could break-down a slot into two, perhaps loosing 1 class value in the process. For example: make a class 3 slot two class one slots, a class 4 slot a 2 and a 1, a class 5 slot a 3 and a 1 or two 2’s, et al. Does anyone carry a fuel transfer line? They might if they could play with the spacing a bit more.

To over powered, and would more than often result in more confusion than anything.
We would be seeing ships stuffed to the brim with class 3 scb's and 3d HRP's making for virtually un-killable ships.
AJStoner wrote:*I want to be able to upload and use my own decals! I’ll pay the store a reasonable fee, I just want the option. Custom paint jobs would also be nice. Again, I’d pay a small amount of cash for the in-game option.

The plethora of penises and cock and balls FD's approval department would have to sift through, I wouldn't wish on anyone.
So no thank you, better leave them actually working to fix this broken game.
If people weren't despicable idiots, then yes that would be great, but go check the official forums and tell me that's the case ?
Personally I'm the kind of idiot that would submit a decal depicting a Rooster clutching to basketballs...
AJStoner wrote:Not really ship related but some of the cargo options (or lack thereof) are getting on my nerves. If I find an occupied escape pod my options are to sell them into slavery or leave them to rot? I can’t just bring them to safety and maybe get a little reward? If I find black boxes, diplomatic bags, or the like I HAVE to sell them on the black market; I can’t just turn them in to the authorities like, ideally, a good citizen would do?

Welcome to Elite.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Avago-Earo
Master
Master
CMDR: AVAGO EARO

Postby Avago-Earo » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:29 pm

TorTorden wrote:The plethora of penises and cock and balls FD's approval department would have to sift through, I wouldn't wish on anyone.
So no thank you, better leave them actually working to fix this broken game.
If people weren't despicable idiots, then yes that would be great, but go check the official forums and tell me that's the case

Hadn't really thought of it but yes, there is that.And imagine all the Football (Soccer if you must) badges. Elite: Hooligan anyone? Still an understandable want but yeah, this would be an unavoidable problem unless Frontier sifted through thousands of designs for approval.
"Wibble"

Cmdr Ant Kingsmill
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Antony Kingsmill

Postby Cmdr Ant Kingsmill » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:02 pm

AJStoner wrote:Not really ship related but some of the cargo options (or lack thereof) are getting on my nerves. If I find an occupied escape pod my options are to sell them into slavery or leave them to rot? I can’t just bring them to safety and maybe get a little reward? If I find black boxes, diplomatic bags, or the like I HAVE to sell them on the black market; I can’t just turn them in to the authorities like, ideally, a good citizen would do?

Bugs me that one. I at least sell them in a free, democratic system where I like to think my rescued folks might be allowed free. Purely my own immersion I know, but all the same.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:09 pm

Something they could easily implement is that rescued ships/escape pods have a local faction, rescuing a ship at a distress call or picking up escape pods would then simply give a standing boost with that faction and thus be a way outside the (broken) mission system to gain standing and rank.

As it stands now the best ship in game for ranking up is a hauler without cargo or shields.
I spent a little less than a week of play time taking donation missions, not having cargo means not seeing the missions asking for stuff and after handing in about 4-6 mil total I was Rear Admiral and sitting pretty in Lucy the battle vette...

Dear FD. About these game mechanics...

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius

Postby Schmobius » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:11 pm

Two things. First, I think one of the main lines of thought (other than approvals) with no custom decals is that everyone would have to download it, at least by the time they come into contact with you. For someone who flies in Open a lot, that might mean they'd have thousands of image files stacked up. I do kind of wish we could at least name our ships in-game though. If not text as a decal (should be less of a system issue), it would be nice if the computers at least acknowledged it. I would enjoy having system authority and docks refer to me as "Danger Noodle Actual". :-D

Second, I was wondering why occupied escape pods were listed as illegal salvage, and didn't make me a hero, as well.

It has occurred to me that these pods may or may not hold live passengers at any given time. I.E., you may be transporting a corpse if you pick one up. I'd still think someone would be grateful for me bringing them into a dock, but maybe they look at it as grave-robbing? I think Frontier should specify whether a passenger is alive or not. Would be really interesting, after we get multi-crew support, if you can have NPC crew, if you'd be able to offer your rescued passengers a job, and see if they'd accept, or insist on being dropped off at a star port.

Schmobius
Master
Master
CMDR: Schmobius

Postby Schmobius » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:13 pm

TorTorden wrote:As it stands now the best ship in game for ranking up is a hauler without cargo or shields.
I spent a little less than a week of play time taking donation missions, not having cargo means not seeing the missions asking for stuff and after handing in about 4-6 mil total I was Rear Admiral and sitting pretty in Lucy the battle vette...

Dear FD. About these game mechanics...

Rear Admiral from what rank? Should I expect similar results currently being a Lieutenant?

smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)

Postby smartroad » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:40 pm

Why is it that I can find a pod in space and it is illegal salvage but I can go on the surface of a planet, blow up a couple of skimmers defending someone's gold stash and that is legal salvage?
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Return to “General Discussion”