Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
AJStoner
Competent
Competent
CMDR: A.J. Stoner
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Useful Sidewinder variants for later in the game

Postby AJStoner » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:59 am

When I sold my starting Sidewinder and bought my first Cobra Mk III I thought I was done with that little ship forever. Not true! It turns out I have found several uses for the little bugger and now own a few. Here are the variants I still employ from time to time:

The Bookmark: Since the game doesn’t allow for custom bookmarking of systems you can always buy a Sidewinder and leave it there to easily find a system again. 32,000 per marker.

The Fetcher: Since I am moving my base of operations to Raferty’s Mobius, and my ships are spread all over the place, I created a special sidewinder to go get them and bring them to a single location. Get the best FSD, a few fuel tanks, a cheap fuel scoop, and you can get to the system you want to retrieve your stored ship from pretty fast. It has over 20 LY range and when you get there you just strip and sell it, jumping into your stored ship ready to relocate.

The Suicide Machine: Too many people after your hide? Price on your head? Easy-peazy! Take the time-honored route of faking your own death. This is still theoretical but it seems to me you can clear a lot of annoying bounty accumulation buy storing your ship, buying a sidewinder, pulling out of the station and self-destructing.

The Sidewinder, still a versitile option--in a worthless sort of way.
Aim to please; shoot to kill.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Useful Sidewinder variants for later in the game

Postby Loriath » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:15 am

Ever try a SupriseWinder in a RES or Nav Beacon?

Take a sidewinder and put double rails on it. Shields or no Shields, your choice. Go hunting. Its a cheap blast!
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

AJStoner
Competent
Competent

Postby AJStoner » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:19 am

Loriath wrote:Ever try a SupriseWinder in a RES or Nav Beacon?

Take a sidewinder and put double rails on it. Shields or no Shields, your choice. Go hunting. Its a cheap blast!

Ha! That sounds like a lot of fun actually.

Cmdr Ant Kingsmill
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Antony Kingsmill

Postby Cmdr Ant Kingsmill » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:53 am

And hopefully we'll be able to put them in large ships at some point... useful for light ships to land on planet surfaces or perhaps an escape ship if your mothership is broken down!
Last edited by Cmdr Ant Kingsmill on Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AJStoner
Competent
Competent

Postby AJStoner » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:14 am

Cmdr Ant Kingsmill wrote:And hopefully we'll be able to them in large ships at some point... useful for light ships to land on planet surfaces or perhaps an escape ship if your mothership is broken down!

Launch craft would be sweet! Especialy if it allowed bigger ships to make use of outposts, albiet with some annoyance.

Return to “General Discussion”