Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Kay Ne
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Julii
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Horizon worth it?

Postby Kay Ne » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:02 am

I haven't been on this forum in a while... or on internet for that matter. Just got back from a long adventure :D

So I heard Horizon is out now... What do you guys think of it? Is it worth it and what are some of the features that are out now?

IronDuke
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Iron Duke

Re: Horizon worth it?

Postby IronDuke » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:40 am

I'm pretty much underwhelemed by it to be honest. After all the initial euphoria subsided it was basically buggies in space, although I can see that it's a foundation for something bigger and will improve over time. I bought the LEP as I don't want to miss out on future content. However, at the moment I still find myself playing the old? game - without landing on planets etc. Still having a blast with Elite in general though. YMMV (no pun intended :) ).

Good Luck!
Distant Worlds Expedition 3302 | 65000 LY From SOL Club

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Loriath » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:08 am

LOVE the buggy and landing on planets. Yes, POI's and rock hunting can be boring at times, but the sheer scale of the planets especially when you get into a crevice or crater that is HUGE really makes you realize just how large the galaxy is in this game. It makes me giddy thinking of what is coming.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

charlie2alpha
Expert
Expert
CMDR: charlie2alpha

Postby charlie2alpha » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:12 am

I'm with IronDuke in this, not at all motivated to land on planets. I got Horizons as a preorder and when it came out I did take my ASP down to a planet and got in a buggy. After roaming around for a while I got totally bored. Never tried landing since and the ASP itself is gathering dust. Maybe when FDEV adds some substance to the planets I will try again.

moarbeer
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby moarbeer » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:45 pm

This is the conclusion I've come to. Too much money for relatively little content. When the price drops significantly, or if the content improves, then I'll get it.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:04 pm

I'm with Loriath, the buggy is a great distraction for some relaxing fun, but I also just enjoy just flying along valleys or finding interesting features, I think FD have done an excellent job with this first part.

Yes, the missions are screwed up at the moment, but undoubtedly that will get fixed with time, but what we really have here is the ground work for the future.

Also, we mustn't forget that landing on planets is just the first part of Horizons, there is a year of content to come including commander creator, multi-crews, crafting, etc, etc
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:32 pm

Absolute yes.

POI hunting is the least interesting bit.
Like exploration it depends on mind set. If you go looking for credits you are in the wrong place.
If you go cause you find this galaxy intriguing and wants to know what's over the hill this is a must.
Most of my favourite times in the buggy is spent just turning off the wave scanner and driving.

Even though most features are kind of broken this is the game I have wished for since I was a teenager.

I have so far spent over a thousand hours playing. Only game that has slightly comparative game time for mewas eve and that was cheap facsimile of this and cost 15$ a month. 40£ for what is really 12 months sub on an mmo is dirt fucking cheap.

remember WOW? full priced yearly updates and a monthly fee..

I am also sure you can wait a bit and it pops up on a steam sale in a month or two.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:46 pm

Love it.....

I was getting a bit bored of the normal and then the missions cocked up which were my main income, then Horizons came along and saved the day......

I love landing and flying around on planets.....Searching for POI's and getting in the buggy.....It's far from perfect, but a nice relaxing and interesting break.....Even better when done with like minded individuals......

It might not be everybodys cup of Tea....But for me at the moment it's great....

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Dudley
Master
Master
CMDR: Dudley_Dawg

Postby Dudley » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:26 pm

God Help Me..But...I agree with my "slightly", alcoholic compardre.. :D

Horizons, is what you make it.. - having drunken mindless eediots exploding or laughing hysterically at their own destruction, does add to the experience. :D

I say, if you can't burst a blood vessel in your left eye from laughing, whilst watching a fellow CMDR plummet to his doom off a sheer cliff, or indeed, whilst attempting to perfect a backflip over a deep ravine, then you 'may' be missing something.. ;)

Horizons... Enjoying it so much I almost...almost, bought a round!! :D :P
As a tribute to Tor, my CMDR has small feet too! o7 Dawg

HazCat
Novice
Novice
CMDR: HazCat

Postby HazCat » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:40 am

It's nice to have the option - right now, I don't have any buggies on my ships but every so often a planetary landing mission aligns with a trade run. The SRV is fun - but mainly it's a change of pace.

Remember, though, Horizons isn't just this one release. It's a whole season, so things will continue to improve over the year. For me, the calculus wasn't "do I want Horizons" it was "do I see myself playing this for more than a year?" With fresh content every year, even if I take time off.. the lifetime pass was the deal, and Horizons came with it.

Though one of these days, I have to admit I'd like to put my feet up and watch some of the folks on this board get into trouble in their toys!
Nullum bonum opus impunita :evil: “No good dead goes unpunished.”

Return to “General Discussion”