Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Digga
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Digga
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

The Distant Worlds Expedition

Postby Digga » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:25 pm

A large group of commanders including some well known names in the game are planning on travelling to the far side of the galaxy, with meetup points on the way.

Details on the frontier forums here and here.

I didn't see Mobius represented, some details on groups representing is

As well as many of the most prominent and dedicated pioneers, explorers and adventures, the fleet will also consist of faction members representing;

Cartographers from the FGE
Scientists from the Canonn Research Group
Leaders of the SEPP Nation
Pilots from the Paladin Consortium
Agents from the mysterious Children of Raxxla - with rumors of Senator Kahina Tijani Loren, yes Salomé herself, taking a great interest in this endeavor. What does she know that we don't? What has gotten her so intrigued about what lies beyond the Abyss?

The expedition will also have some excellent Film Makers and Livestreamers along to document this historic event; including Obsidian Ant, Dr. Kaii, and Erimus One (Film Makers), and CMDR Katejina

I'm thinking of joining this, any others?
If there is enough of us, maybe we can signup as Pilots representing Mobius :)

Also as far as PVE goes, I did note that Mobius is metioned when it comes to private group rules:

which follow the Mobius ruleset (i.e. strictly PvE only!)

Feldspar
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Feldspar

Re: The Distant Worlds Expedition

Postby Feldspar » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:37 pm

Sounds interesting, but I just don't have the time to commit, so I'll have to pass.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:03 pm

Been thinking about signing up, but with explorer builds changing a lot with landings even the conda is looking at MAYBE 35ly range.
And the asp struggles with slots, it can for example have to swap one of the afu's for shields or buggy hangar.
You must have shields for landing, even touching down at 2ms will give 5% hull damage without shields.

The ship I would actually want to fly is the clipper, but it only gets 24ly range at best. And would need 50% boost just to get to the goal (and back again I expect) but it is really great for exploring planets at nearly 400ms and a lot lot easier to find landing spots for than the anaconda.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Huntemdown
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Huntemdown
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Huntemdown » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:30 pm

Thanks for pointing this out, havent been doing much exploring recently, so not kept up with those forums. will read later and have a look at my Asp build next week, at the moment can do 34.1, so might need a small tweak to keep the 34Ly once buggy hangar is addded.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:38 pm

Huntemdown wrote:Thanks for pointing this out, havent been doing much exploring recently, so not kept up with those forums. will read later and have a look at my Asp build next week, at the moment can do 34.1, so might need a small tweak to keep the 34Ly once buggy hangar is addded.

horizons hits quite hard on the range, since you are going to want bigger thrusters (for countering gravity), PDS capable of boosting, shields and the smallest hangar I believe is clocking in at 6 tons, and considering how easily destroyed an srv can be, it's one oopsie and no more landings for you...

Even the asp look like it will need at least tier one FSD boost to get to destination point.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Digga
Competent
Competent

Postby Digga » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:01 pm

Ive put this 37Ly Asp together without any real thought, I also managed a 39Ly Anaconda.

I will be checking out the Asp with Class 5 and Class 3 hangers, plus landings with the lower class components, if it all looks good then im good to go...

IronDuke
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Iron Duke

Postby IronDuke » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:35 am

I'm already signed up and will be representing the group.. if I can get back from my Sag A* trip in time..

Edit: I also registered here ..

http://firstgreatexpedition.org/mybb/index.php
Distant Worlds Expedition 3302 | 65000 LY From SOL Club

Digga
Competent
Competent

Postby Digga » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:45 am

IronDuke wrote:I'm already signed up and will be representing the group.. if I can get back from my Sag A* trip in time..

I have been reading more on this and will be signing up, it has been reported that an asp build similar to my last post (4D thrusters) will land on a 6G+ planet with minor shield damage, still will be testing it but have very little concerns now.

More interesting is this...
November 13th 3301

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Lewis (Frontier Developments) View Post
Really excited for this - we're going to do our best to make this a huge event.

November 18th 3301

Quote Originally Posted by drkaii View Post
Guys, don't want to give too much away but I may or may not be talking to Ed and the FD team and they may or may not be cooking up some exciting things.

All I want to say is that the stuff they may or may not be cooking may or may not be even more delicious if we get more people signed up. Could I ask everyone to just...get the word out? Encourage their friends? Mention this in different forums where appropriate? We will also be doing our own PR so keep an eye out ;)

Thanks all!

Primeh
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Primeh

Postby Primeh » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:40 am

I read about this expedition last week, and it's tickled my fancy quite some.

I haven't actually signed up yet as a modicum of doubt still remains due to the actual commitment of time needed, but that doubt is dwindling.
I'd love to do the run in my Connie though the thought of it is quite scary, especially not having touched Horizons yet.

EDIT - Ballz to it, I'll also be signing up once I decide what ship to take etc. Time to take to beyond Sag A*, even if I do end up going with my trusty Asp.

IronDuke
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Iron Duke

Postby IronDuke » Sat Dec 12, 2015 4:21 am

Primeh wrote:EDIT - Ballz to it, I'll also be signing up once I decide what ship to take etc. Time to take to beyond Sag A*, even if I do end up going with my trusty Asp.

Good on ya! That's the spirit..

Some detailed info., on the Distant Worlds Expedition..

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthrea ... hlight=65k

Looks like the most common ship is an Asp 34 LY Jump Range.

This is an excerpt from the link above ..

"Important to note : It is possible for a 25 LY ranged ship to cross the Abyss at the Roncevaux Crossing, and travel through the Solitude region towards the Ceeckia sector, but to reach Beagle Point itself, and its neighboring systems, you will most likely need a ship capable of at least a 34 LY standard jump. Ships with less range will need to carry sufficient Jumponium to make it to Beagle Point."

Hope this helps ..
Distant Worlds Expedition 3302 | 65000 LY From SOL Club

Return to “General Discussion”