Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Brixmis
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Brixmis
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Beta 3 thoughts and impressions...

Postby Brixmis » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:30 am

I've just got updated and had a quick look before heading off to town.

In a Sidey at Eranin, with over a million creds :D

My kills and suchlike are still showing - so that's good.

Missions now split into "Available" and "Available but not able to complete" or some-such, now. It's a shame you can't take on missions for cargo which is more than you can carry in one go, and simply make multiple runs instead.

Looking good so far, just have to get myself to Styx for some upgrades. No idea how the second ship thing works, though.

BloodravenD
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: BloodravenD
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby BloodravenD » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:04 am

Was very tedious updating, for some reason it was really slow. Once I got in, I noticed I was back in azeban outpost with the basic Sidewinder, but had 150k or so credits, probably the amount my ship I had (think it was a Viper) at the time was worth. I got to ascellius primus and headed to beagles landing for ships, picked up a hauler, a upgrade on the two cargo containers so I could hold 16 tons, a mining laser, and a refinery. Turns out the refinery I picked up only had one bin, so that made mining troublesome. I ended up going back and rearranging things around, dropped to about 6 ton storage, so I could have a 4 bin refinery. for 20-30 min of work, I got two tons of ore, made maybe 5-6k off them together...so not nearly as much as hauling missions in beta 2 were giving me.

Speaking of which, I think they nerfed the amount you get out of bulletin board missions, because I'm rarely seeing more than 1-2k credits for small hauling missions, normally they were 2-5k credits each. I haven't tried the fuel scooping yet, and I found out using the cargo scoop is way too much of a hassle for mining.

Rune
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Rune Sunfire

Postby Rune » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:08 pm

Only got a small amount of playtime in yesterday. Beta 3 release was a bit of a hellish experience for me. Train got cancelled so didn't get home till 10:45pm, downloaded the upgrade then got a message that it couldn't communicate with the authentication server. Several reboots and faffing around later I decided to power cycle the router which finally got me in and then my Track IR stopped working so spent some time diagnosing that and found that my TrackClip Pro has died.

So play the game without head tracking, get a Cobra and go to enter hyperspace and the game crashed. Gave up and went to bed as it was 1am at that point.

Jockgit64
Master
Master
CMDR: Jockgit

Postby Jockgit64 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 1:56 pm

I have had a little play, lost Server comms a couple of times, which is a bit annoying.

Did a couple of Trade Runs in the Sidey then decided to sell it and get a Viper for the first time :D

Now I just need to learn to "Combat" properly and I can go out and collect some Bounty!! (and maybe a Mars Bar). :P

Artie
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Artie

Postby Artie » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:55 pm

Well, so far from the new features:
- interdictions are great, good mechanics and also presentation
- mining is pretty boring now: it's time consuming, not very profitable and it simply hardly worth an effort. Maybe if they will introduce easier/faster cargo scooping (wider range, some drone gathering the ore pieces or so) and some asteroid composition scanner, it will be more interesting.
- multiple ship ownership looks good, despite some UI problems
- fuel scooping: I didn't found any fuel scoop so far, it seems it isn't in the game yet (someone mentioned that on official board). Or anybody found it somewhere?
- overall graphics is more polished, ship interiors are better shaded, etc. Except new blocky glow/bloom effect, which seems unfinished (or there is some problem with it's settings)
- galaxy map route planning now finally seems useful

There are still some bugs of course, but generally - B3 is not bad. :)

Jockgit64
Master
Master

Postby Jockgit64 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 3:07 pm

I was watching someone on Twitch earlier today using the Fuel Scoop by flying close to a Star so it has been implemented.

Nemetos
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Nemetos

Postby Nemetos » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:22 pm

Only had a few hours to dabble , but , so far, ive managed to kit out a Type 6 with a pretty decent mining / exploration set up.

Done a bit of exploring with Advanced scanner, and detail surface scanner. Not a great deal of credits in it yet... but my plan is to find new exciting places, take a happy snap ..... then strip them down to the bare bones of all their precious shiny metal thingies, and sell it for a huuuge profit !! Wooo Hoooo !! :twisted:

Not actually tried mining as yet, as im looking to get hold of a decent Power plant upgrade ... so that I can actually breathe while im trying my hand at blasting rocks into smaller rocks.

I kept the basic sidey to see how multiple ships works.
You get a nice little blue ship icon on the Galaxy map to show you where you left it. Also , in the shipyard,. there is a tab on the menu that gives the location of your ships incase you forgot. :P

Only prob Ive noticed, is I keep picking up fines for no apparent reason ... strange.

Not actually seen an Imperial ship up close yet.

Hope to get a decent Viper set up again by the weekend to do a bit of hunting ... but alas ... another night shift calls.

:cry: :cry:

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:39 pm

Well so far.....Not Good for me.......

Stuttering all over the place....2.06 was mainly fine apart from the drop in Hyper....3 it's everywhere...

Most important completely screwy TrackIR ...You pause it and the view snaps to the Target screen mostly but has also snapped the view to the scanner.....Could be linked to using Trackir in station menus....Which now you can look away from and open up the left hand panel....Really handy for checking missions and the galaxy map at the same time....

Just completed a mission way ahead of time and got a fine for a non completed mission......

Graphical glitch......Flashing box above scanner when on stations landing pad.......

Had a full tank in station.....Left and could not jump.....Looked at tank gauge 3 bars down !!!!..Flew back to refuel....

Beta 3 also screwed my bindings in a BIG way....Primary fire...Bound but not recognised......Replaced with my back up and that seems ok now......

I have let the Eagle be and just pimped my sidey a bit....Gimballed pulse....Upgraded power distribution and a docking computer...Which has improved greatly...Really fast now and no hanging upside down shit.....

Right now to see if I can pay this fine and check my reloaded bindings...As I think something ingame has altered them and turned mouse look "On".....

*Edit*

Nope cannot pay fine.....Tried at Both Azeban city and orbital........

Mouse look WAS turned on somehow even though it was off......This time I altered the controls before starting the game rather than pausing and doing it......Maybe that had something to do with it........Trackir Now seems fine.....

Could not find Fed Distress...So went to low conflict.......

Jeezus.....Now I aint bad in combat....Got slaughtered....I was getting hit by ships I could not even see....Not on scanner and not out my window....I could just see the beams and no ships to target......

Logged out now......I'll try again a bit later.....

*Edit 2*

Still cannot pay fine.......Still can't find fed distress.....Dropped into USS......Started getting attacked a single ship.....Attacked back and got a "Wanted" status and bounty.......

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'll try again tomorrow....................

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Jockgit64
Master
Master

Postby Jockgit64 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:49 pm

Had similar issues.

The Graphical Glitch above the scanner, not sure if that is intentional or not, seems to be too consistent for a glitch.

I noticed Fuel consumption had gone crazy, I thought it was just the new Viper that I had bought, never had one before, bought it and flew out of the station, turned round and came back in, cost about 65cr if I remember correctly.

I also lost all my bindings, luckily I had backed them up, but after 3.0 they were completely screwed. No Mouse Look and throttle controls were back to front.

I'm in the middle of configuring my IR Scanner so haven't been on much today, hopefully a patch will come out before the weekend so I can put the Viper through it's paces and have a go and Bounty Hunting. :D

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:58 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:Most important completely screwy TrackIR ...You pause it and the view snaps to the Target screen mostly but has also snapped the view to the scanner.....

Oddly I'm not having this kind of problems. When I pause it, it just snaps to the center position as expected. What version of the software are you running? I'm running the v5.2 with a TrackIR 4.

The only problem I got that was related with the TrackIR was the mouse selection that was off in menus, but disabling the hardware cursor option (in graphics) fixed it.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Return to “General Discussion”