Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Brixmis
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Brixmis
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Exploration

Postby Brixmis » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:15 am

A bit mystified about the exploration that is supposedly being encouraged for this version of the beta.

Yesterday evening I took my Cobra waay out to where no man had gone before. Seriously, there were no starports, no platforms and no satellite bodies of any kind - just the star or planet that the system was named after and otherwise, completely empty.

So - what's the point? Scanner brought up nothing and there was nothing I could do there. This was 3 systems - not just one. I don't recall the names - one was a Ross # though. Maybe we will be able to mine them later, but why put them in now, when we can't do anything except waste fuel and time on them?

I also got a couple of bugs (ticketed). One where the explanation of a mission is not given - all that shows is the credits available in reward (though the mission details do come up when you click on the empty bar in the list).

Second one was where the system I'm in isn't shown at all on the Galaxy map - which led to a crash after a couple of minutes zooming around the map screen.

Seems more things are going wrong as we go along.

Shelleen
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Re: Exploration

Postby Shelleen » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:29 am

I think (but may be wrong... it's been known :roll: ) that there will be an awful lot of empty systems in the final game. 400 billion systems, 100,000 inhabited ones, makes for a lot of systems that might be devoid of anything to see.

I'm pretty sure I read that in the final game, when a new system is discovered there will be the possibility of it becoming inhabited by NPC interests. So there will be reward to being the first to discover a new system financially and if NPC forces expand into it, it will give you/others another port of call. Don't quote me on that though.

The reason empty systems are in now is because everything is in now, looking at the galaxy map shows that. We, however, cannot go see it all yet and the capsule we can fly around includes everything within its borders, interesting to see or not.

Besides exploration is kinda like that, find new system, find nothing of interest, move on to the next one. Rinse and repeat.

As to the bug side of things, well that's what we're here for. I ticketed the same BB bug as you plus some others so we are doing our job. I'm more concerned about bugs that have been exposed a long time ago still being there than finding new ones. Beta 3 will bring its own quota as well. :)

Mr_Average
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Mr_Average

Postby Mr_Average » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:16 am

Got to be for mining and selling maps. There's a bit on Mining here : https://www.scribd.com/doc/230681554/22/CRIME-LIST. I presume that when you discover a place, there are all sorts of domino effects that could happen if it turns out that theres loads of a rare resource (maybe even a possibility of war?).

Plus, won't you be famous if you discover a new planet? IIRC you'd get the planet named after you.

Brixmis
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Brixmis

Postby Brixmis » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:15 pm

Well, hold me back! :D

Seriosuly, though, it doesn't really bother me - was just wondering aloud. I imagined we'd be able to mine these planetary bodies, but it is a bit disappointing to go forth and discover, expecting riches beyong my wildest dreams and instead end up with didlley squat. :cry:

Got a response on the ticket today:

KennyW
Thu 23rd Oct 2014 17:51
Hello, John. We've had no luck reproducing this issue on our latest internal build of the game.

If you are still seeing this issue on Beta 3.0 then please create a new ticket.

Thank you for your patience and have a good day.

Return to “General Discussion”