Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Ship Crew Size

Postby Loriath » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:41 am

In the game we have several ships that have more than 1 pilot position. But what about the rest of the crews?

Is there any lore/game related info that lets us know how many crew would be/could be on a ship? I think it is safe to say an Eagle, sidewinder and viper would be singles. I am not referring to pilot position only I mean the rest of the crew? An Anaconda can be flown by one person, but support staff has to be there.

I am thinking the larger ships, say Asp and higher.
Best guesses ?
Cobra?
Asp?
Clipper?
Python
Vulture?
Anaconda?
T6?
T7?
T9?
Dropship?
Orca?
FDL?
Adder?
Hauler?
Courier?
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

diss3cted
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: diss3cted
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Ship Crew Size

Postby diss3cted » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:27 am

Interesting. I was wondering about this myself.

Are ships so fully automated that they are all single-crew ships? Big cargo ships may have loader-droids or something?

Or do bigger ships have a crew? And if so, how about making it possible to "hire" crew members for certain feats like Shield Multiplier bonus or something like that.

As for how many crew members per ship... I cannot say. I still do not have a real grasp for the ship sizes, even with all information like dimensions available.
"In humility lies true greatness. And in beer. Everything is greater with beer."

Daniel Dakota
Expert
Expert
CMDR: DanDak

Postby Daniel Dakota » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:32 am

Not sure on that one either, but I do have a Clingon on the starboard bow of my Asp :)

Leinad
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Leinad » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:45 am

In Elite 2 you hired crew, one of the more fun aspects of the game. I'd of thought this will happen in ED soon, perhaps when passenger cabins/missions are introduced.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:06 pm

diss3cted wrote:...I still do not have a real grasp for the ship sizes, even with all information like dimensions available.

Here is a picture of HMS Daring sailing into Portsmouth Harbor, note its size in comparison to the 3 story buildings in the foreground.

article-2094347-1188DF6C000005DC-116_634x332.jpg
article-2094347-1188DF6C000005DC-116_634x332.jpg (48.44 KiB) Viewed 3982 times

HMS Daring (Type 45 Destroyer) has the dimensions of Length: 152.4m, Beam: 21.2m, Draught: 7.4m

An Anaconda by comparison Length: 152.4m, Width: 81.8m, Height: 31m
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth

Postby Xebeth » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:25 pm

I've always assumed that the ships computers allow for single person flight on the larger ships, but that we are somewhat compromised by doing so.

So when you look around that large empty bridge of an Anaconda, there's just you, the computer, and the voices in your head telling you to kill...

Logic says that a full crewed ship would be more efficient, all the things we have to do sequentially, the crew would do consecutively, plus a load of other stuff.

I've always imagined that the Cobra, Vulture, Type 6 (& possibly Type 7) Asp, and Adder have two crew, the Pilot and a combined Navigator/Engineer.

The Python, Clipper, Dropship and similar have three - Pilot, Navigator, & Engineer. Although the Python and Clipper probably have two or three off-bridge crew as well (and the Clipper would also have a Cocktail Waiter).

The big Ships (Anaconda, Type 9) have at least the three bridge crew, plus at least a dozen other crew.

The Anaconda being a military ship may also have a Captain (as well as a pilot), probably some marines, and other Pilots for the Condors it carries.

The Hauler and Courier as single crew ships I think
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

diss3cted
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: diss3cted

Postby diss3cted » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:18 pm

Thanks for the picture. 152 meters, that's 1.5 times the length of a football field and I still cannot really imagine the final plastic size of it. The picture of the ship helps for sure.
Only real solution would be for FD to build every model in 1:1 size for conventions :P
"In humility lies true greatness. And in beer. Everything is greater with beer."

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:57 pm

diss3cted wrote:Thanks for the picture. 152 meters, that's 1.5 times the length of a football field and I still cannot really imagine the final plastic size of it. The picture of the ship helps for sure.
Only real solution would be for FD to build every model in 1:1 size for conventions :P

You mean build a 1:1 model and have conventions INSIDE it, right? :!: Or they could build it and move into it as a new Head Quarters, with one deck reserved for visitors to pay to sleep over and they could have the cockpits as places where you could PLAY the game inside. Giant Screens.

OMG yes!
Can we kickstart this?
The Frontier Anaconda HQ, Pub and Hotel with and ED Themed Amusement Park.

Someone Get me Braeben on the Line RIGHT NOW! I want a Percentage! You read it here first people! IT WAS ALL MY IDEA!
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master
CMDR: UnmarkedBoxcar

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:49 pm

To those wanting to put scale into perspective...

Perhaps this will help?

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous

Postby Loriath » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:38 pm

Okay we are getting WAY off topic here!

Back to the meat of the discussion: How many Crew members are going to drown when Kharma's Asp makes his first crash landing on a water world? What if he is now in a Python? What is the Death toll as he hits the only life-raft and tosses the others out to make room for his booze?

:P
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~

Return to “General Discussion”