The Python loadout thread: Big and ... strong?

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master
CMDR: UnmarkedBoxcar
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: The Python loadout thread: Big and ... strong?

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:17 pm

xD

That's right... I completely forgot about hull upgrades.

Yeah. That's a pretty penny right there.

Octopoid
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Octopoid
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Octopoid » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:40 pm

At one point I did try the three turret beams, so added another 36 million.. think the re-buy was 16 mill!

But it got too hot too fast, and it was when turrets missed more than they hit, so I dumped two of them. Don;t really need them anyway, not in PvE.

Gorf
Master
Master
CMDR: Hardy

Postby Gorf » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:06 am

TorTorden wrote:Yeah I noticed as well that most ships, even the vulture gets more responsive with a few pips in engine.
zero pips in engine is an absolute no go...

Depends on your fight style. Don't want to derail a python thread, but my fighting technique doesn't rely on having pips to the engines.

Might have to start my own thread on it, though...

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:23 am

Boozeman wrote: I have now somewhat D-class Trading Python with 216t cargo + docking computer. <<snipped>> There's plenty of juicy outpost to outpost loops and with docking computer the money grinding is somewhat pleasant :-)

Oh God yes! I love an outpost to outpost trading loop while using the docking computer! :D :D :D Fast approach to the outpost (no need to line up on the planet side of the station to find the mail slot), super fast docking with the docking computer, and minimal mass lock on departure. You know what they say.... 'time is money'.

I want to thank all of the guys that have posted their Python load outs in this thread! And... a huge thank you to uvelius for starting it! It has been a huge help to me over the last 6 weeks. I bought my Python on June 12th (thanks INARA for tracking that), just about the time this thread started. At first I thought the Python was a slug and that it would take forever before I'd have it upgraded enough to be a decent fighter. I had been grinding trade runs (Frostbite carries 224 tons when I have her configured for trade runs), and using my class A Vulture for combat. I continued to upgrade the Python every chance I had, frequently flying to Diaguandri to buy modules at the 15% discounted rate. As I get her combat worthy, I started learning how to turn using FA off. Boy.... that's a game changer! It helps a LOT! About that same time, I was able to afford class A thrusters. That's when my Python started to really feel like a ship that I could take into combat in a RES, Crime Sweep, or anywhere, and feel confident that I can come out on top. Prior to learning how to use FA off and having A thrusters, it felt like the small ships could (and did) run circles around me and hammer the crap out of my shields. It was VERY frustrating!

Anyway....here's my current combat loadout.

I tried 3 beams, but the capacitor drained in 6 seconds. For me, the 2 beams are pretty quick at taking down a ship's shields, and it gives me choices for the other hardpoints. BTW, 2 beams gives me 12 seconds of firing time before the capacitor drains. I know that several guys use 5 pulse lazers, and I can see why. Lot's of combined damage per second, and minimal heat. I just really like having a variety of weaponry on board, to use in different situations. When in a RES and during that moment of calm after I've KWS'ed a python who doesn't know I'm going to attack him, I fire up the Plasma Accelerator and rock his world right out of the gate. :evil: God I love that !

When I'm doing short trade runs, I remove the SCB's and discovery scanner which gives me 224 tons of cargo space.

Now that I've gotten my Python upgraded and I'm getting better at FA off combat.... she's an awesome ship! 8-)

I haven't flown my Vulture in about a 10 days.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:38 am

Gorf wrote:
TorTorden wrote:Yeah I noticed as well that most ships, even the vulture gets more responsive with a few pips in engine.
zero pips in engine is an absolute no go...

Depends on your fight style. Don't want to derail a python thread, but my fighting technique doesn't rely on having pips to the engines.

Youtube videos kinda of work for this, and I normaly hate this culture of making every kind of how to a video.
Off Topic
god I miss the days when you could just read something in a couple of minutes, not having to listen to some wannabe nerd stutter and wheeze for 15 minutes before getting to what I wanted to know :S

Having zero pips to engines was much much more noticeable with the vulture and that's where this habit of mine started.
Personally I micro manage pip settings constantly, even without voice attack (paypal wouldn't let me buy it, so they can fuck off).
With my control setup, my right thumb is pretty much dedicated to pip management, and occasionally firing the multi's :P

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Skipp
Master
Master
CMDR: Skipp Doe

Postby Skipp » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:43 pm

Unless I'm fighting 2 or more BIG ships i have full pips to weapons, 2 pips in engines, 0pips in shields.

With all the shieldboosters and A-class shields, nothing can take my shields down completely :)
ImageImage

UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:58 pm

Gorf wrote:Depends on your fight style. Don't want to derail a python thread, but my fighting technique doesn't rely on having pips to the engines.

Actually, I'm the same. Generally speaking, once I'm in combat I don't have any pips in Engines, shifting instead from 3:4 or 4:3, SYS:WEP. Even with no pips in ENG, you can still boost once, and most of the time once is enough (in PvE.)

Though, I very much abuse thrusters in my Python, and likely spend more time flying sideways than I do straight. And having said all that, doesn't mean you can't switch over a bit of power to ENG in a pinch to catch up to those pesky cowards. :evil:

Octopoid
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Octopoid

Postby Octopoid » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:11 pm

4 sys 2 wep, 0 eng, then a quick flick more to wep for a recharge. Only put pips in eng when I want to boost again or I'm chasing some small fry... like a Clipper ;)

UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:47 am

Octopoid wrote:4 sys 2 wep, 0 eng, then a quick flick more to wep for a recharge. Only put pips in eng when I want to boost again or I'm chasing some small fry... like a Clipper ;)

Amen. :evil:

Skipp
Master
Master
CMDR: Skipp Doe

Postby Skipp » Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:21 am

Clipper... small fry!? Are we playing the same game here!? :D
ImageImage

Return to “General Discussion”