The Python loadout thread: Big and ... strong?

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: The Python loadout thread: Big and ... strong?

Postby TorTorden » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:09 pm

Skipp wrote:When i'm bountyhunting i usually have 100% weapons, 50% engines and 0% shields on my Python. Unless it's a wing of 3 where there's 1-2 vultures, no one can take down more than half of my shields, and having weapons and engines means i can pewpew longer and outmaneuver almost every ship.

Pythons are just that great ^^

Yup, python and the vulture are pretty much the poster definition for overpowered.
And if ED was anything like a proper mmo the forums would have been burning for calls to nerf them both.

Personally I like the status quo, and since ED is the kind of game it is, they can probably rather afford to boost the other than having to nerf what works.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Loriath » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:28 pm

TorTorden wrote:Yup, python and the vulture are pretty much the poster definition for overpowered.
And if ED was anything like a proper mmo the forums would have been burning for calls to nerf them both.

Personally I like the status quo, and since ED is the kind of game it is, they can probably rather afford to boost the other than having to nerf what works.

Back when I was a pup in a Sidewinder there was talk of the great Python Nerf. Seems the beast we know now was much meaner before. I'm inclined to think it was not a bad thing. Now with the changes they are talking about for Armour and Power Plant Targeting, I think Anacondas will be happy. I hope they apply those fixes to all ships. Right now the Vulture is the baddass in the schoolyard IMO.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Skipp
Master
Master
CMDR: Skipp Doe

Postby Skipp » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:06 pm

well... yes, and no. I look at it a bit differently. First of all - you can have a python, but not have a good fit. Also, you can have a python, and be a crap pilot. However - i look at it more like the higher "level" character you'd have in a regular mmo.

you need to pour a lot of hours and effort to be able to afford a ship of that class in the first place. nagging to nerf it just because it's better would be like a lv30 character asking to nerf a lv80 character because he can one-shot you.

It's not like the python or the anaconda are unavailable to everyone. you just need to play the game. also - if you're not into dogfights - there's really no point in cashing out 100-200mil on a ship that's useless to you
ImageImage

uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång

Postby uvelius » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:48 pm

Skipp wrote:nagging to nerf it just because it's better would be like a lv30 character asking to nerf a lv80 character because he can one-shot you. ... there's really no point in cashing out 100-200mil on a ship that's useless to you

Oh yes. Or just go for insurance. 6+ mil should be worth some power should they? Besides, ast least for me as a -- yet -- unexperiences Python pilot, the Python feels even weaker than certain small ships, which speaks against an OP ship and for "just a class to master".
So true, I also I don't like the wannabe-banger kids who want to be master of all classes without any efford or dedication, just with some new piece of shiny consumer technology called controller. There are enough MMOs out there for those, colourful, overrewarding, cradling for (real) money. Get SWTOR for simple space "fights". But back to topic!

EDIT Bloody hell, I absolutely LOVE that freedom in the power department. It feels so good after constant tweaking in Vultures and Couriers ... wow, just having room to put in modules and s t i l l having energy left!

By the way, I am very happy about all the replies, even with tips and loadouts you all are posting for the different ship types. Mobius group manages to surprise again and again, in a very positive manner :)
Last edited by uvelius on Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:02 pm

Yeah agreed I/we earned this python, and we all sort of did.
And I probably shouldn't speak about mmo's all that much since the only miltiplayer game (I just prefer single player, primarily since I like to feel ridiculously OP) I played besides ed for any amount of time was eve online..

In ED even if you do pvp you pretty much do your own thing and you are absolutely free to log into solo or other group modes.

Essentially leaving open mode for dickhead douchebags looking to grief less experienced.

The game also allows all kinds of assisting aids.
A player with a upper end HOTAS will always have an 'up' on mouse and keyboard users.
And although that works quite well, but now that I have CH pro throttle, ch fighterstick and the CH pro pedals.
(I know each of those controllers cost almost as much as my gpu, so I went a little nuts)

And the flight experience compared to just m&k is honestly transcendent so just that alone is OP.

Anyhoo I am digressing as usual.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
CMDR: StaticRadion

Postby StaticRadion » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:20 pm

Loriath wrote:Back when I was a pup in a Sidewinder there was talk of the great Python Nerf. Seems the beast we know now was much meaner before. I'm inclined to think it was not a bad thing. Now with the changes they are talking about for Armour and Power Plant Targeting, I think Anacondas will be happy. I hope they apply those fixes to all ships. Right now the Vulture is the baddass in the schoolyard IMO.

I would not really say the Python was nerfed as much as shield cells banks were because all changes to the Python were minor in comparison. The Vulture on the other hand is just a pile of hate and anger built into a ship. The only downside to the Vulture in my opinion is that newer players don't have the thrill of going from an Asp or Cobra directly to the Python like I did.

robfm81
Expert
Expert
CMDR: ROBFM81

Postby robfm81 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:52 pm

Oh if only I could afford to trade my vulture for a python... many millions to go.

If you want to survive out here, you've got to know where your towel is.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:11 pm

I know the feeling (currently itching for an anaconda) but even as I play with coriolis I end up with a build that's still struggling with power issues, and costs about 500 mil...

All i can say is hang in there and maybe try trading a bit, I know its not exciting but the profits are good and reliable.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

robfm81
Expert
Expert
CMDR: ROBFM81

Postby robfm81 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:52 pm

Gonna get a type 6 for some trade tonight. Back to school....

If you want to survive out here, you've got to know where your towel is.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly

Postby TorTorden » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:57 pm

Trading can be fun(ish) although I am happy I got a second monitor for watching Netflix/youtube for when it gets repetitive ..

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Return to “General Discussion”