Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
robfm81
Expert
Expert
CMDR: ROBFM81
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

merits from killing rival powers

Postby robfm81 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:12 pm

can someone help in telling me what kind of system (controlled etc) you can kill other factions and gain merits?

Controlled didn't work for me last night...

thanks

If you want to survive out here, you've got to know where your towel is.

Ozzy81
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Ozzy81
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: merits from killing rival powers

Postby Ozzy81 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:34 pm

robfm81 wrote:can someone help in telling me what kind of system (controlled etc) you can kill other factions and gain merits?

Controlled didn't work for me last night...

thanks

For Arrisa, simplest ones are Hudson adn Archon. Go to their control systems and shhot down transport ships. You will get 15 merits per kill. Also, expect to have a bounty, but it's only valid in system you're doing undermining (but it canmake nav/RES hunting a bit more difficult as bounty hunters will attack you once they scan you. On the plus side, with bounty on yur head you can do kill bounty hunter missions without fear of new bounties - except the mission involving a system where you have no bonty, go to nav/RES, turn report crimes on. Once they scan you, they will probably attack you (they tend to let me go cause of Python and Elite status), become wanted and free kill :evil: ).

robfm81
Expert
Expert

Postby robfm81 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:20 pm

does it have to be transport ships, or any listed as in their faction. Was in a archon controlled system and dropped a clipper - no merits.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:07 pm

This tutorial was helpful for me. i did one thing that was not covered (at least I didn't see it on a quick scan of the tutorial this morning) which was to go to the powers tab on the galaxy map, and select an opposing power that you intend to undermine. Then on one of the tabs across the top (sorry, don't have E-D running right now) there will be some info on how to undermine that power.

I think I selected something that confirmed that I was going to undermine (maybe that's how E-D ensures that you are on a PP 'mission' ? dunno.) It told me what ships to look for in the system to ensure that I'd get the merits. BTW, you'll be pulling them out of SC to kill them. I don't think that ones at NAV or regular space count at all. You can check your transactions tab after you kill 1-2 and you'll see that your'e accumulating merits.

Sorry for the rough details, I've only done undermining once so far.
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Ozzy81
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Ozzy81

Postby Ozzy81 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:25 pm

robfm81 wrote:does it have to be transport ships, or any listed as in their faction. Was in a archon controlled system and dropped a clipper - no merits.

It has to be listed with their faction. SO in Archons case Kumo crew transport or Kumo crew watch.

robfm81
Expert
Expert

Postby robfm81 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:01 pm

Ahh I see. Not just have his name under the info

mrbrown33
Harmless
Harmless

Postby mrbrown33 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:04 pm

First you need to be in a power faction. Then check on the power board what systems have been chosen for expansion. Go to that system and help take out the enemy. When your done (usually when you've ran out of ammo) goto the nearest fortified system and check the "power contracts" and hand in the bonds from the battle. Thats how I've been doing it. It also goes towards the expansion of your faction empire.

May the force be with you.

robfm81
Expert
Expert

Postby robfm81 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:02 pm

found out where i was going wrong - was trying to undermine an ally. far away from other systems so on hold for now

uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång

Postby uvelius » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:18 am

Side note: Systems in turmoil (of your OWN power) let you shoot enemy ships for 15 merits each without getting a bounty, and they turn up in abundance.

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:54 am

uvelius wrote:Side note: Systems in turmoil (of your OWN power) let you shoot enemy ships for 15 merits each without getting a bounty, and they turn up in abundance.

Aw.... hell.... I'll definitely have to keep that tip in mind! Thanks uvelius!!! :D

Another thing to remember about undermining (or ***ANY** PP activity really) is that to help with the common goals of the folks that are coordinating your Power's efforts, be sure to check the reddit page or FD board for the current week's message thread to see *where* you should be performing PP activities.

For instance here is the Arissa L-D weekly orders thread, and at the lower right corner is a box with links to all of the other PP subreddit threads for those pledged to other powers.

You can also check the FD board for messages with your power's name followed by something like "Power Play Cycle 6" for this week's message. The name of the thread changes each week as we progress.

Please people, align your PP activities with the goals of the commanders who take the time to develop the strategies for your Power!
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Return to “General Discussion”