Sorry I tried Open...

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Sorry I tried Open...

Postby smartroad » Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:50 pm

And saw one other person at Lave (who promptly rammed me - thank goodness for my Eagles A Shields!). Docked and there was no one else :(

Had to go for dinner but will be running a rares run later. Maybe see if can find anyone!
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Cmdr Ant Kingsmill
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Antony Kingsmill
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Sorry I tried Open...

Postby Cmdr Ant Kingsmill » Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:11 pm

I quite like to dip into open now and then, but spend the majority of my time in Mobius, mainly because I like the community. Personally I steer clear of open around busy places like Lave ever since I was gunned down inside the starport many months back. Presumably my destroyer was instakilled by the station after by untimely death, I'll never know!

FANTA5M1C
Competent
Competent
CMDR: FANTA5M1C

Postby FANTA5M1C » Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:33 am

I intend to do some open bounty hunting in the future as a way of greifing the greifers, but otherwise I don't feel motivated to move into open for any particular reason. Not unless I'm planning to wing up immediately.

Cmdr Ant Kingsmill
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Antony Kingsmill

Postby Cmdr Ant Kingsmill » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:49 am

FANTA5M1C wrote:I intend to do some open bounty hunting in the future as a way of greifing the greifers, but otherwise I don't feel motivated to move into open for any particular reason. Not unless I'm planning to wing up immediately.

Bounty hunting seems a pretty legit and fun way to play in open, if that's what you want to do. It's the dork heads that pee me off.

smartroad
Master
Master

Postby smartroad » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:36 pm

The irony is that I started a Jameson Memorial and there were about 7 people docked there.

ZATZAi
Novice
Novice
CMDR: ZATZAi

Postby ZATZAi » Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:29 pm

Just to be clear, Lave in particular is home to one of the various Pirate factions. Specifically CODE, and the Pirate of Uranus are known to frequent there as well. There are of course many randoms there too, my point is... Lave is a hotbed or pirate activity, largely because it's a popular system with traders due to the Silk Road. So not the best place for one's first experience in Open.

This is something I think Powerplay has actually improved. Before everyone was an unknown in Open, everyone was a potential enemy. Now that people can be part of factions you can get a general idea about if they'll be hostile to you. If you're ALD and see another Imperial flying around you can generally assume you'll leave each other alone (Or maybe even work together). But if you see a Hudson supporter, warm up those guns.

This is not always the case of course, and it works better if you fly with a group that is actually involved in PP. But for me, I am enjoying it alot as I am seeing other members of my faction and guild in Open, joining up with them hunting hostile NPCs and Players etc (In Open of course, not in Mobius).

But it's still nice to be able to come back to Mobius now and again and relax without the galaxy feeling empty.

Philip Coutts
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Coutts

Postby Philip Coutts » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:59 pm

I dip in and out of open and to be honest I've never had a problem. That said I stay well away from the highly populated areas although I did spend some time around Achenar without any incident. That said I like to chill out while I'm playing and this group allows me to do that without worrying about getting blasted to bits!

smartroad
Master
Master

Postby smartroad » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:10 pm

I was doing it as a rare run in my A-rated Eagle, only about 60K insurance so why I chose it to play with. To be honest I was disappointed! Flew from Jameson Mem to Lave and aside from the one CMDR (who rammed me :D) I met no one - not even in SC.

Today started in Lave with 2T of Latvian Brandy. There were about 6-7 other CMDR's. Launched and flew out - no one batted an eyelid to me. Jumped 200LYs away to sell and again - not another person until I reached my destination (Lembava) and about 3 CMDRs in port. Flew all the way back to Jameson and again nothing :(

Its funny with all the threads in the main forums about how bad open is and I met - for all intents and purposes - no one :( For me it makes a moot point of people whining about open/group/solo all affecting the same universe.

That said the blood was pumping as I launched from Lave with the risk that any of them could have gone for me!

Return to “General Discussion”