BrocMcGregor
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Broc "Badger" McGregor
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Flightstick button mapping

Postby BrocMcGregor » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:48 pm

Hey all,

this actually is not about needing help mapping all the wonderful joystick buttons to functions in Elite:Dangerous. It's actually quite the opposite. I'm creating this thread as a venue to offer help.

I've flown with:

Cougar, Rhino, X-55, X-52PRO, X-52, CH Combatstick, CH Fighterstick, CH Flightstick PRO, CH Throttle (and almost all the other CH products, and yes there is a trend there). Basically I've always enjoyed being friends of people that owned all of these products. I, back 15+ years ago, had a Flightstick PRO for Mechwarrior 2 and X-Wing. So, CH has a soft spot in my heart. I've also been to different trade shows, events, etc, that have allowed me access to up and coming flight sims and their assorted "goodies."

ironically right now:

I'm currently flying:
Logitech Extreme 3D PRO on my left (it's ergonomic enough, I actually use that "thumb" stick for "Flight Assist/Toggle") as my thrusters/throttle and function stick

and

a Speedlink Phantom Hawk on my right. Basically think of this one as a cheapy Saitek X-52, stick only, without, and it's a BIG WITHOUT "arm" button. Because of that button missing, I honestly tread very carefully when requesting docking ;) I don't want to accidentally deploy hardpoints or worse yet, SHOOT THEM :D

and, for cheapies. They work. I only use the keyboard to type in COMMS and my "debug camera" is the "enter" key and F10 for screenshots. That's it.

I also use my Galaxy S4 with different ED apps in there, and I'm planning on adding a ROCCAT system to a tablet as well... IF it works on the kindle, AND I can get said kindle away from the four year-old, or her mother! :D

I'd much rather have a Saitek X-52PRO... but then again, I wouldn't. I really enjoy the control this setup as given me as I like to fly FA:OFF.
Now learning what I have with these "cheapies" it's my intent to get two CH CombatSticks to replace them. Maybe. Believe it or not, the extra buttons on the left side of the logitech are amazing. I have them set for auto-throttle speeds 0-100% and FSD engage.

My only complaint with these two sticks is their "fidelity" their "accuracy."

Especially unfortunately in a game, like Elite:Dangerous that does not have the full joystick control that say, IL-2:1946 or DCS have. Those, I can set exponentially the control of my sticks. Pretty much negating any cheapness, drift, or deadzones these have. And unfortunately, using the debug camera as a guide, both these sticks do drift, and do have deadzones.

Something I never experienced in the Saitek X-52PRO once my friend and I got it squared away.

Good news is this: if anyone needs help with joystick peripherals, I believe I can hold my own in helping set them up. Particularly the "button mapping" in the game itself. I am proud to say I had one of the best instructors teach me the ways of HOTAS as a kid, the US Marine Corps. Long story short, growing up I had access to a MCAS's flight simulator... and took advantage of that OFTEN :D I also have real-world experience with flying HOTAS as well, albeit unfortunately I never did make the physical to get my wings of gold. I have thoroughly enjoyed earning them in my now soft, civilian life. :D

anyone needs help, feel free to reply here, or PM me O7
one of ElitePVE's "Turbulent ChildrenTM"

Birdawg
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Birdawg

Re: Flightstick button mapping

Postby Birdawg » Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:57 pm

Well this isnt quite on topic, but I just started playing around with voice attack, Astra, Voicepack, and Im using my old X52. What Im wondering is, if anyone has figured out how to map voice attack commands to joystick buttons. Not that big of a deal, but I use the center button on the throttle section of my x52 to center track ir, as it seems to wonder off center frequently and it would be easier just to say"Center" and have voice attack do it for me. For some reason if I assign a keybord key to center in track ir, it renders that key useless when im actually typing on my keyboard in game, say for text messaging, etc..

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Sun Jun 21, 2015 1:26 am

Use a modifier (i.e. ALT+C) or a key you'll never type in a chat (like §) in TrackIR. I center it from a button on my HOTAS, so it's doable. I don't remember what hot key I use in TrackIR, but I can check tomorrow if you want (I'm on a different machine right now)
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

robfm81
Expert
Expert
CMDR: ROBFM81
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby robfm81 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:43 am

BrocMcGregor wrote:Hey all,

this actually is not about needing help mapping all the wonderful joystick buttons to functions in Elite:Dangerous. It's actually quite the opposite. I'm creating this thread as a venue to offer help.

I've flown with:

Cougar, Rhino, X-55, X-52PRO, X-52, CH Combatstick, CH Fighterstick, CH Flightstick PRO, CH Throttle (and almost all the other CH products, and yes there is a trend there). Basically I've always enjoyed being friends of people that owned all of these products. I, back 15+ years ago, had a Flightstick PRO for Mechwarrior 2 and X-Wing. So, CH has a soft spot in my heart. I've also been to different trade shows, events, etc, that have allowed me access to up and coming flight sims and their assorted "goodies."

ironically right now:

I'm currently flying:
Logitech Extreme 3D PRO on my left (it's ergonomic enough, I actually use that "thumb" stick for "Flight Assist/Toggle") as my thrusters/throttle and function stick

and

a Speedlink Phantom Hawk on my right. Basically think of this one as a cheapy Saitek X-52, stick only, without, and it's a BIG WITHOUT "arm" button. Because of that button missing, I honestly tread very carefully when requesting docking ;) I don't want to accidentally deploy hardpoints or worse yet, SHOOT THEM :D

and, for cheapies. They work. I only use the keyboard to type in COMMS and my "debug camera" is the "enter" key and F10 for screenshots. That's it.

I also use my Galaxy S4 with different ED apps in there, and I'm planning on adding a ROCCAT system to a tablet as well... IF it works on the kindle, AND I can get said kindle away from the four year-old, or her mother! :D

I'd much rather have a Saitek X-52PRO... but then again, I wouldn't. I really enjoy the control this setup as given me as I like to fly FA:OFF.
Now learning what I have with these "cheapies" it's my intent to get two CH CombatSticks to replace them. Maybe. Believe it or not, the extra buttons on the left side of the logitech are amazing. I have them set for auto-throttle speeds 0-100% and FSD engage.

My only complaint with these two sticks is their "fidelity" their "accuracy."

Especially unfortunately in a game, like Elite:Dangerous that does not have the full joystick control that say, IL-2:1946 or DCS have. Those, I can set exponentially the control of my sticks. Pretty much negating any cheapness, drift, or deadzones these have. And unfortunately, using the debug camera as a guide, both these sticks do drift, and do have deadzones.

Something I never experienced in the Saitek X-52PRO once my friend and I got it squared away.

Good news is this: if anyone needs help with joystick peripherals, I believe I can hold my own in helping set them up. Particularly the "button mapping" in the game itself. I am proud to say I had one of the best instructors teach me the ways of HOTAS as a kid, the US Marine Corps. Long story short, growing up I had access to a MCAS's flight simulator... and took advantage of that OFTEN :D I also have real-world experience with flying HOTAS as well, albeit unfortunately I never did make the physical to get my wings of gold. I have thoroughly enjoyed earning them in my now soft, civilian life. :D

anyone needs help, feel free to reply here, or PM me O7

What apps do you use on your phone?

If you want to survive out here, you've got to know where your towel is.

BrocMcGregor
Novice
Novice

Postby BrocMcGregor » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:47 am

I have an Android OS Galaxy S4 (at least i think, I dunno, it was free. It is a Galaxy though)

they are:
"Elite Traders Calc" - basically a profit/hr/t calculator, pretty nifty
"ED Companion"
and my personal favorite "Elite Notes." Which is basically a notepad but looks like in-game and has cool UI stuff ED related. Basically I can input systems, stations, commodities, etc into that manually. Sure it takes a long time, but, it sure is easier to search through than the galaxy map!

Also, when I'm flying, I usually have Inara, and Ed-Td.space up as well on either my phone or Overwolf.

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:45 am

Flip wrote:Use a modifier (i.e. ALT+C) or a key you'll never type in a chat (like §) in TrackIR. I center it from a button on my HOTAS, so it's doable. I don't remember what hot key I use in TrackIR, but I can check tomorrow if you want (I'm on a different machine right now)

Yep I have center and pause for Trackir directly mapped to buttons on my joystick from within the Trackir program......

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:20 am

Birdawg wrote:Well this isnt quite on topic, but I just started playing around with voice attack, Astra, Voicepack, and Im using my old X52. What Im wondering is, if anyone has figured out how to map voice attack commands to joystick buttons. Not that big of a deal, but I use the center button on the throttle section of my x52 to center track ir, as it seems to wonder off center frequently and it would be easier just to say"Center" and have voice attack do it for me. For some reason if I assign a keybord key to center in track ir, it renders that key useless when im actually typing on my keyboard in game, say for text messaging, etc..

Voice attack can press buttons from your joystick. If you edit a command, you will see the "When I say" for Voice, "When I press Keys" for Keyboard, and "When I press Buttons" for joystick. If you select it, it will ask you to define up to two Joysticks and then select the button required for the action.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Birdawg
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Birdawg

Postby Birdawg » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:12 pm

Thank You, I'll give it a try

BrocMcGregor
Novice
Novice

Postby BrocMcGregor » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:01 pm

unfortunately, I don't have VoiceAttack (yet) lol. But I intend to get it shortly. So I personally don't have any advice for you except this:

Flip wrote:Use a modifier (i.e. ALT+C) or a key you'll never type in a chat (like §) in TrackIR. I center it from a button on my HOTAS, so it's
doable. I don't remember what hot key I use in TrackIR, but I can check tomorrow if you want (I'm on a different machine right now)

Seriously, QFT (Quote for truth), when in doubt, "modifiers" as Flip put it, are key. My 4-way Hat is used as a d-pad, it even says "but4-7" I think they're called in-game. I use 6 other buttons as "modifiers" for that 4-way hat. Basically giving me 28 (6 x 4 + 4) functions on that 4 way hat. The hat by itself for example navigates between the four different in-ship UI (Comms, Sensors, etc). All I have to select is "UP" and I'm in the COMMS.

But when I use say "Left stick Button 4 + my 4 way hat options" I'm in the system settings: power to engines, systems, weapons, or default. Again, just like my ship's UI, it's based on the layout. So engines are "LS BUT 4 + UP" and default is "LS BUT 4 + DOWN".

It makes it very practical, for me anyway and very user-friendly. For example, last night I had to reinstall the game. It took me all of about 5 minutes to remap my controls, by memory. They're that natural to me.

Also, something else that makes modifiers great is by requiring the additional button, it makes it harder to "accidentally" do something. I have a modifier as well for my "deploy hardpoints" and I made sure my primary and secondary fire are NOT enabled to deploy hardpoints. I wish I had the "ARM" button on the more expensive flightsticks for that, it'd make it even safer, but it is what it is.

This allows me to use the "triggers" normally like mouse buttons when navigating the different UI, menu screens, etc. As long as I don't accidentally press "Joy2 + Joy4" on the right flightstick, I can't deploy my weapon systems. I made it purposefully awkward so I can't accidentally hit it :D I use my mouse to enable to disable (it also centers) free-look, that's it. Everything else is done on the joysticks.

Now, I just wish I could get my utilities to actually start working like they should... that'd be amazing.

Axsom
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Axsom » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:33 am

Hello,
Are you still around and offering assistance to new players? I don't have CH products but could use help with Warthog setup. Please let me know if you're still around.

Return to “General Discussion”