Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
CMDR: StaticRadion
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Mining - Just don't do it

Postby StaticRadion » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:39 am

So I decided to give mining a chance and oh boy was I disappointing. I started with 60 limpets in my cargo and was trying a speed approach with 8 limpets, 6 collector and 2 prospecting, active at once.

I would launch the 2 prospecting limpets then attack the better of the 2 asteroids. I would launch a third prospecting limpet while I cleared my hopper and waited for the collectors to finish. Then again attack the better of the 2. If both active prospecting limpets were on crummy asteroids i would start over.

After many wash and repeat cycles I blew through 60 limpets in about 30-40 min and made a tidy profit of 85k... It was a joke.

Keep in mind i didn't find a single ton of the two new mining materials, but still I feel it should be more profitable than that.

Leave a comment if you think I was doing something wrong or if you have had a different experience. If you want to take a look at my ship setup I put it under the spoiler heading.

► Show Spoiler

CMDR Abil Midena
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Abil Midena

Re: Mining - Just don't do it

Postby CMDR Abil Midena » Sun Jun 07, 2015 3:43 pm

I don't do mining. But I have read that it is more important now as to where you mine. There's some threads in the FD forums about this. Maybe that will make a difference?

I also read that Osmium is fairly common.
My Youtube Channel
Elite - Elite - Elite

Cmdr Ant Kingsmill
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Antony Kingsmill

Postby Cmdr Ant Kingsmill » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:08 pm

When I'm back from my exploration trip I'm certainly going to give mining a go. If I can hit some valuable rocks then all the better. Even if it's not as profitable as straight trading or combat it might be an interesting change of gameplay.

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Walter » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:18 pm

CMDR Abil Midena wrote:I also read that Osmium is fairly common.

Could you point me to a source on the Galactic Map?

CMDR Abil Midena
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Abil Midena

Postby CMDR Abil Midena » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:29 pm

Walter wrote:
CMDR Abil Midena wrote:I also read that Osmium is fairly common.

Could you point me to a source on the Galactic Map?

It has to be mined. Check the FD forums and search for 'osmium'. That should get you the threads that talk about how to find good mining spots.
My Youtube Channel
Elite - Elite - Elite

Boozeman
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Boozeman

Postby Boozeman » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:52 pm

Hi,

I try drones with my Mining kitted Asp too. I have 64T cargo and packed 15 collector drones onboard. Then head my way on my "Secret Stash" about 80LY from home. Jumped High Intensity RES and head about 30km away from it.

Shoot the rock, quickly check what kind of chunk and if intrested, unchecked it and launch pair or drones while shooting the rok. I spent there about 60mins roaming rock to rock and then go sell my catch when limpets ended. With about 35 ton of collected Gold, Silver, Osmium, Painite, Palladium and Platinum, I got 450k

Prospector drones are IMHO just waste of time, cargo and internal compartment slot. I use only the thrusters while the cargo scoop is on. One Collector Drone live long time and collect many chunks, if none of chunks are not selected.

Back home I have 5 hop trade route with minimum of 1000cr/ton each hop. I can fly the route about 1h 20mins and with 80T cargo, you get about 500k cr. So if I am hasty, I will eventually get full million with the same time on mining.

BTW, the Collector Drone sounds like some c64 game back to 80's :)
Last edited by Boozeman on Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PillDoc98
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: PillDoc98

Postby PillDoc98 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:56 pm

Can you still mine the old way still, or do you have to use the drones now? I used to mine, till I found out that hunting bounties paid better, but it's still a nice change of pace if I just want to relax and just drink and fly.

Boozeman
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Boozeman

Postby Boozeman » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:02 pm

PillDoc98 wrote:Can you still mine the old way still, or do you have to use the drones now? I used to mine, till I found out that hunting bounties paid better, but it's still a nice change of pace if I just want to relax and just drink and fly.

You do not need drones. I collect my last chunks with the traditional way :)

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
CMDR: StaticRadion

Postby StaticRadion » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:06 pm

Just gonna throw this out there because I found the info about a day ago now and it has been useful, but 7000-9000cr/ton round trip is rather easy to find now.

I am not sure if I am exploiting something that is broken so I am not going to give specifics, but one of the powers offers 25% more profit from items sold to to black markets. All items listed under a stations info that are prohibited are counted as items to sell to a black market so you don't have to pirate to be a smuggler.

I don't know what you guys and gals are doing in game at the moment but smuggling is where it is at.

Xerxryn
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Xerxryn

Postby Xerxryn » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:09 pm

I love smuggling but I thought it was broken and still not giving enough profit, might have to have a look at it again. Not into the powerplay thing, so will look into the 25% boost also, thanks :)

Return to “General Discussion”