Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Cmdr Ant Kingsmill
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Antony Kingsmill
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Thoughts on the new Fuel Transfer Limpets

Postby Cmdr Ant Kingsmill » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:54 pm

I've don't have my hands on the 1.3 Beta but I've been thinking about the new Fuel Transfer Limpet Controller and how we might use it. I've haven't seen much written about it, but did stumble across one thread on the official forum earlier in the week. Anyway just wondering what the group thought about the possibilities of maybe having a Search and Rescue kind of section on this forum. Maybe folk could post when they get caught out in the deep dark void?

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
CMDR: StaticRadion

Re: Thoughts on the new Fuel Transfer Limpets

Postby StaticRadion » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:18 am

I had this happen to me in the very early stages of the game while I was in an Adder. I have not let it happen since and think it is a good life lesson for new CMDR's to have to watch there oxygen run out when the tank hits empty.

Personally I don't see a search and rescue forum becoming a thing when I could just cover the replacement cost of most new players ships rather than having to find them to deliver fuel. As such i just don't see it happening.

On the other hand if they were to remove the emergency reboot and repair function in exchange for repair droids then I could see some CMDRs taking up the role of gas and repair as a business venture.

uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång

Postby uvelius » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:57 am

I find the idea appealing -- both the rescue forum as the repair droids. The forum could add much to immersion, and there may be good reasons to get rescued instead of just self-destruct. Too far away from the last docked station, for example; precious explo data; bounties; just a bit less money for insurance; etc. Protecting the stranded until help arrives maybe. Player interaction!
By the way, I once got shot up so badly in a CZ that the Reboot function started -- and failed. Over and over again. So it seems not to be the definite solution ...

So yes, why not give it a try. If the limpets will offers what they promise, that is.

Gorf
Master
Master
CMDR: Hardy

Postby Gorf » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:41 pm

Might be possible to use them to dump fuel too. Some time ago I was flying a route and arrived at an unscoopable, so I jumped back a step and scooped at the last stop. When I'd filled up, I was too heavy to jump to the star I'd just come back from.

It's better than dumping gold to lose weight, at least.

Bear67
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Fortman, Otto Fortman, bEAR67
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Fuel-Rat's

Postby Bear67 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:41 am

Saw this over on the main ED forums, https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=150703. We should have a Morbius version of doing this. I have a Hauler set up as a Fuel-Rat based out of Yembo.

Bear67
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Fortman, Otto Fortman, bEAR67
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Bear67 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:00 am

Ah, didn't take the time too look at the other threads before posting about this same topic "Fuel-Rats". oops :)

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:20 am

No problem, Bear67. Threads merged.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Daniel Dakota
Expert
Expert
CMDR: DanDak

Postby Daniel Dakota » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:55 am

I put my name on the fuel rats list a while ago, it strikes me that it could be a good thing for Explorers who really don't want to lose weeks or months of data.
I think a lot of the good folks in Mobius (if he doesn't mind that term lol ) would help out any group member who sent a distress sig.

Fly safe :)

Cmdr Ant Kingsmill
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Antony Kingsmill

Re: Fuel-Rat's

Postby Cmdr Ant Kingsmill » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:21 pm

Bear67 wrote:Saw this over on the main ED forums, https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=150703. We should have a Morbius version of doing this. I have a Hauler set up as a Fuel-Rat based out of Yembo.

I have a yellow Hauler from my early days. I reckon a fuel limpet and good frame shift drive on that will make a nice Fuel Rat :)

If a Mobius version is set up I'll be happy to join the list.

Pembroke
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Pembroke

Postby Pembroke » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:28 pm

if only fuel was a sellable comodity, being a fuel tanker would be a slow, but decent profession in a pinch
Looks like this dog does its own stunts.

Return to “General Discussion”