Python or FDL? (Edit - Python!)

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
smartroad
Master
Master
CMDR: Lase Mooray (PC) smartroad78 (XBOX)
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Python or FDL? (Edit - Python!)

Postby smartroad » Mon May 25, 2015 1:47 pm

I went for a Python in the end :D Kitted her out with 3 burst lasers, 2 cannons and she can easily take on another Python and below. Needs a little work with Anaconda's but I can take one down on my own with a little 'lets target the power plant' tactics!

Have to admit, I am in love with her! Its like being in my Cobra, although without the ability to turn as well, but she can take down most things. Spoiler hides her current spec:
► Show Spoiler

Now I just wish there were some decent paint jobs for the ship. Don't want the pirate livery (not a pirate!) and the 'vivid' colours have no style imho - considering what is available for the Sidewinder, Viper, Cobra and Asp.
Group Policy - The Order of Mobius General Orders

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Mon May 25, 2015 2:04 pm

Congrats, welcome to the club :D

You'll find the turning improves immeasurably once you have the thrusters upgraded to 'A'. Personally I would bother upgrading the armour, once your shields are down then your running anyway anyway, but that's just my opinion. Also, (and again just my opinion) I'd go for pulse over burst lasers, whilst burst do more damage on paper, pulse keep going for much longer and do more overall damage as you don't have to wait for the capacitor to recharge.

In terms of upgrades - distributor first, then thrusters, then everything else.

Once you have her upgraded, anacondas become a cake-walk, and targeting the power plant is good practice on the bigger ships anyway.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
CMDR: StaticRadion
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby StaticRadion » Tue May 26, 2015 5:16 pm

Good choice now you just need to save up for a T-9 and an Annie. If you at any point decide to do some trading take advantage of the Pythons ability to land on Med pads because it makes it easier to find trade routes.

Octopoid
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Octopoid

Postby Octopoid » Tue May 26, 2015 11:50 pm

Been through this process just recently, started with Python and got everything as I wanted it, bug power plant etc...

In a moment of boredom I sold the lot and got a FDL. Loved the sound of the engine :) But after a couple of weeks I've gone back, just found the FDL wasn't big enough - couldn't kit it with enough stuff for serious combat without sacrificing almost all cargo capacity and exploring potential. I don't go anywhere with a basic discovery scanner and a fuel scoop.

So I'm back in the python, A6 shields, 4 A0 boosters, 4 SCB's, 2 big gimballed pulse lasers, a big gimballed cannon under the nose, and loving it. Did two RES sessions in Atam whatever it's called last night, 1.3million each time and used 1 SCB over the course of the night. Love it. NPC Anacondas fear me! :D Back in there tonight without any fear.

Kal
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Kaldor Nighthawk

Postby Kal » Wed May 27, 2015 1:53 am

NIce! Sounds like you are having fun with your new python. I picked mine up over the weekend and just have it set up for pure trading atm but am really enjoying it. I feel like I'm really making credits now and the ship sounds so much better. I kept looking for the prop trim controls on the asp as I looked out the windows trying to find and check the propellers. Just building up the credits with my python now until I have enough to equip it for combat.

After it is fully armed, might swing by Sol and take aim at the nerfers and see what those big guns can do. :evil:

Ziegenbagel
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Cmdr Deasus Ziegenbagel

Postby Ziegenbagel » Wed May 27, 2015 2:06 am

Personally I feel the Vulture is best use for combat. But I may upgrade to a Fed Corvette when ever it's finally released! :)

Octopoid
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Octopoid

Postby Octopoid » Wed May 27, 2015 2:36 am

Vulture is great for dogfighting combat, as long as you aren't getting shot! Power plant is too small, so SCB and boosters are at the expense of other stuff. Then the large weapons - can't run much more than 2 x pulse without overheating issues, or 1 beam and 1 cannon if you don't mind going back for ammo every 30 minutes. Spent most of my game time in a Vulture, it was great... but simply couldn't do more than dogfight and that gets boring after a while.

Reason I think I'd still go with the Python isI can carry TWO large lasers AND a large cannon, plus two other guns, and still have lots of shield stuff. OK, I can't buzz around like an angry wasp, but I can wipe out an Eagle or Sidewinder before they get past me on the first closure run :) No need to chase them after that... and a Viper gets away from a Vulture just as easily as it does a Python.. but I can have two turrets with my three big guns to deal with stuff behind me if I want, can't do that with a Vulture ;)

Ziegenbagel
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Cmdr Deasus Ziegenbagel

Postby Ziegenbagel » Wed May 27, 2015 3:07 am

Who needs that when I can fly circles around a Dangerous Anacona killing it in a minute and never having my shields go down. I never have power issues or anything. Only time my shields go down is if I accidentally crash into an anaconda with no pips in systems (even than that only happened once where I lost my shields from that). Only other times was if I accidentally friendly fired and get a bounty so the 10 security around me all start firing at me at once. Other than that I kill. In 5% for the current Bounty Hunting event using my Vuture :)

imashination
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Mash

Postby imashination » Sun May 31, 2015 10:54 pm

I've bouncd back and forth between a python, fdl and conda for days, eventually settled on the python. Whilst I loved the speed, turning, mass locking and huge hard point, the fdl is just a bit too frustrating to own and use, like a sports car with no radio or storage space and the steering wheel is on the wrong side.

The fdl has a thimble fuel tank, which means sitting at stars forever scooping with a class 2, and having to check every star type on the way as you'll only get 2-3 jumps per tank.

There's no real space to hold cargo to lure in res site pirates. The jump distance is tiny. And though manageable, it has real power limitations. Why give a ship 8 utility slots if the scanners and shield boosters use so much power?

If the fdl has just one extra size 4 slot and a larger tank then I may change my mind, but its just annoying to own.

Oh, and that horizontal beam in the middle of the cockpit...

uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång

Postby uvelius » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:35 pm

Any recommendations where I can get both a Python and a decent basic loadout (60-70 mil alltogether)? Ideally around teh Won Guin/Quivira area? Thanks!

Return to “General Discussion”