Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
markw1971
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Craid
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Next ship to get

Postby markw1971 » Fri May 08, 2015 11:10 pm

I'm still pretty new at this and I am learning. I want a ship that can equip a fuel scoop, a discovery scanner and a decent cargo hold. I haven't figured out how to do this with a sidewinder. Maybe it's not possible. I basically want to be able to explore, trade, and do some courier missions. What ship would be the best choice for this?

TomoRosso

Re: Next ship to get

Postby TomoRosso » Fri May 08, 2015 11:19 pm

I would suggest a Cobra or maybe an Adder depending on your cargo hold requirements.

markw1971
Harmless
Harmless

Postby markw1971 » Fri May 08, 2015 11:21 pm

Cargo doesn't need to be good. Just enough to do some basic courier stuff.

TomoRosso

Postby TomoRosso » Fri May 08, 2015 11:53 pm

Well the Adder is quite a bit cheaper than the Cobra, either would be suitable for courier missions and exploring. The Cobra would be far better in combat of course. There are sometimes haulage missions that require a decent hold but they're not that common in my experience.

markw1971
Harmless
Harmless

Postby markw1971 » Fri May 08, 2015 11:53 pm

I'll probably go for the adder. Cobra looks kind of pricey. So I shouldn't bother with a hauler?

outcast-luc
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: outcast-luc

Postby outcast-luc » Sat May 09, 2015 12:23 am

I found the Hauler way better than the Adder, strangely has a better jump range..

I use mine for exploration ( I ve been in Pleiades nebula ) and for the Ranking mission. Whitout shields it has 22 tons cargo so I put inside foods and non-lethal weapons and just make rep mission.

The Adder is more expensive and maxed has 26 tons of cargo, so its better for pure trading, but not for exploring.

markw1971
Harmless
Harmless

Postby markw1971 » Sat May 09, 2015 2:58 am

Hmm. Ok. Maybe I'll check out the hauler then. It's cheaper. Thanks for the input.

Gravespawn
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Gravespawn

Postby Gravespawn » Sat May 09, 2015 11:08 am

If you have no combat in mind hauler might be your best bet at the moment. Its very cheap and when you kit it right has a very respectable jump range.

Ameena
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Ameena

Postby Ameena » Sat May 09, 2015 11:25 am

I'm happy with my Cobra, which can do about 23ly and carries 36 tons of cargo. I decided it looked like the most balanced ship available at the time so from the Sidewinder with its tiny four-ton cargo hold I crawled my way up to an Adder which managed to carry ten tons, at which point it only took a few days or so to save up for a Cobra and then the cash came in much faster so I was able to properly kit it out and upgrade all the bits and pices. After a while I felt like doing some combat and even after swapping the default pulse lasers for some decent beam lasers and adding a Kill Warrant Scanner I'm doing fine. And I'm making way more money blowing stuff up in an RES than I was trading. I made over a million credits in about an hour or so yesterday! Would've stayed longer but for some reason decided to try and solo a Clipper and my shields nearly got downed so I ran away and cashed in instead (nearest space station is a whopping 5ls away, /gasp ;)).

Emanon
Master
Master
CMDR: Emanon

Postby Emanon » Sat May 09, 2015 1:10 pm

You can go up to 40 cargo in the Cobra and it's a very versatile ship that can do all of the roles veery well to start out with, but yes, it will take more credits.
CMDR Emanon

Return to “General Discussion”