Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
savinup4adeathstar
Novice
Novice
CMDR: SAVINUP4ADEATHSTAR
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Next ship to get

Postby savinup4adeathstar » Sat May 09, 2015 5:26 pm

I personally did the adder, cobra, asp road. Especially with the latter two I played almost all professions simultaneously.

Backelaer
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Backelaer

Postby Backelaer » Sat May 09, 2015 9:13 pm

savinup4adeathstar wrote:I personally did the adder, cobra, asp road. Especially with the latter two I played almost all professions simultaneously.

Yup, had the very same order of ships. I liked the adder for its plasticy, van-like feel. Then went to the Cobra, which is just a blast. Also to OP: try to save up for that one. You can do anything in it.
Then went on to the ASP. Though I really dislike it for combat because of its shluggishness (compered to the Cobra at least) I quickly re-kitted it for my first exploration trip. And it's very well suited for that. I'm now flying a Vulture for the CG, but I still use my Cobra quite a lot for missions, rare-runs and some RES-farming. I pretty much like all ships I have right now but the Cobra has got a special place for me.

On a sidenote, I didn't like the Viper all that much. I just couldn't see the advantages of it compared to the Cobra. It's slightly more nimble, but that's about it. Maybe I didn't upgrade it to get the most out of it, but that's the only ship I didn't really bond with.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Loriath » Sat May 09, 2015 9:55 pm

Love the Adder. The Transit Camper Van. Made 10 million exploring in it. Went Sidey, Adder, T6, Vulture then Eagle. Lol
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Hrdina
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Hrdina

Postby Hrdina » Sun May 10, 2015 12:38 am

Backelaer wrote:
savinup4adeathstar wrote:I personally did the adder, cobra, asp road. Especially with the latter two I played almost all professions simultaneously.

Yup, had the very same order of ships. I liked the adder for its plasticy, van-like feel. Then went to the Cobra, which is just a blast. Also to OP: try to save up for that one. You can do anything in it.
Then went on to the ASP. Though I really dislike it for combat because of its shluggishness (compered to the Cobra at least) I quickly re-kitted it for my first exploration trip. And it's very well suited for that.

That's the same route I took, although I only spent enough time in the Adder to fund my Cobra. The Cobra I kept for quite a long time, and I agree that it was a blast and very well-suited for use in any occupation, as long as you are careful in combat against the big boys.

I am currently in my Asp. I upgraded to that because of the nice bonus I got from one of the CGs. I've been doing a good bit of exploring with it, and it's been fun for that.
Jameson & Son are my copilots

savinup4adeathstar
Novice
Novice
CMDR: SAVINUP4ADEATHSTAR

Re: RE: Re: Next ship to get

Postby savinup4adeathstar » Sun May 10, 2015 2:54 am

Loriath wrote:Love the Adder. The Transit Camper Van. Made 10 million exploring in it. Went Sidey, Adder, T6, Vulture then Eagle. Lol

Huh? :shock:

outcast-luc
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: outcast-luc

Postby outcast-luc » Sun May 10, 2015 5:12 am

I sis skip the cobra as I love dogfight, so bounty hunter and CZ, better if related to CG.

So I went through Sidy-Viper ( I loved the Viper ), Hauler for Exploring, Vulture and Python thanks to Zaonce CG.

To be honest I found the Python really expensive and not fun as the Vulture for combat, I think Python it`s perfect for RES farming but for combat zones I prefer the Vulture, as despite it has less firepower you can always stick on the enemy tail.

Still I haven`t tried yet the class A thruster on Python but with a B thruster is really slow to pitch.

Now that the Quivira CG its done I sell the Hauler and buy an ASP, 15 Mil to outfit it for exploring and straight to the Unknown.

See you in the black :)

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Sun May 10, 2015 7:19 am

savinup4adeathstar wrote:Huh? :shock:

I was bored between CG's and was trying ships I skipped over. Tried the Cobra, and hated it. The Viper was good. But something about the eagle just made me grin.

I know it's as sturdy as toilet paper, as fast as a three legged Turtle, and has as much firepower as a rabid mosquito, but it's a joy to fly. It responds so well to manoeuvres that I smile every time I fly it.

I even used it in open *Gasp* to do a run up to Lave and brought back 2T of Lavian brandy. I did not get killed. I enjoy it so much, I even created a sub-wing here called "The Spread Eagles" to espouse the virtues of the little bird that could.

I am keeping it and will fly it in the open when I want to be a pesky mosquito in the ears of others. In the meantime, I will use my Vulture in CZ and combat CG's, and my Type 6 to haul.

I am waiting to try the Imperial Courier and the DiamondBack when they arrive. And someday will have me a Python. Not sure about the Anaconda though. And definitely want a Type 9 Heavy to trade with.
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Senex VII
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Senex VII

Postby Senex VII » Wed May 13, 2015 5:05 pm

I recommend Sidewinder to Hauler to Cobra. In other words, use the Hauler as the next step. However, your time in the Hauler should be brief. At this stage it's really only a stepping stone, and a short-lived stepping stone at that.

You can use the Hauler for trading, and it's a great little explorer, but you can't really do both at the same time. And it's lousy in combat. So use it simply to trade your way quickly to a Cobra, which is the first true multipurpose ship that is reasonable at all things. The Cobra will help you decide what you enjoy most about Elite and help shape your future ship ownership strategy.

UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master
CMDR: UnmarkedBoxcar

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Wed May 13, 2015 6:00 pm

Loriath wrote:But something about the eagle just made me grin.

I know it's as sturdy as toilet paper, as fast as a three legged Turtle, and has as much firepower as a rabid mosquito, but it's a joy to fly. It responds so well to manoeuvres that I smile every time I fly it.

Agree, agree, and agree. To all of the above. The Eagle is an absolute joy to fly...

I went Sidey>Eagle>Cobra>Vulture>Vulture/Python but flying that eagle...so much fun.

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
CMDR: StaticRadion

Postby StaticRadion » Sat May 16, 2015 12:56 pm

Well... you guys didn't leave me much to say... I <3 Adder is about all I got LOL

But really I think my progression was something like Winder+Hauler < Adder+Viper < Cobra < Viper+T-6 < Viper+T-7 < Python+T-9

The Vulture was not around yet, but the Viper is a beast capable of felling even an Elite Annie with the advanced combat maneuvering known as STRAFING. Who knew that lateral thrust could be a game changer LOL

Return to “General Discussion”