Reached "undiscovered" space in milkyway, what now ?

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Starman001
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Starman001
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Reached "undiscovered" space in milkyway, what now ?

Postby Starman001 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:02 pm

Hello Pilots !

after a while I came back to the game to dive into the universe... Now, while I know it's nearly impossible because of that giant milkyway size, I wanted to travel towards galactic center...

In the current spiral arm of the milkyway where I started there is a giant "bubble" of discovered and settled systems, while it seems it is more high than wide.... I'm now at the border of this settled region, and now there is just a vast desert of uncharted and uninhabited systems.

What shall I do now ? Does it makes sense to travel further ? I know there is some sort of fuel scope, so I wouldn't strand in deep space, but will the "game" settle the region sometime ? Of course, it's quite unrealistic that human colonized the entire galaxy, and there are no aliens...

- Anyone else reached that area ? What did you do ?
- I read some weeks ago that elite players cartographed a few hundred thousend systems... Are we (mobius) seeing these systems too, or do we have our "own" universe ? I don't think so.
By thinking back, wasn't there some kind of aliens in the old elite games ? (I haven't played them), the Steltek or something ? Or do I mix this up with privateer ?

Thanks for your input into these questions ? I'm curious what you did :)

See you in space (not likely, but maybe :D )

Nanosmo
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Nanosmo

Re: Reached "undiscovered" space in milkyway, what now ?

Postby Nanosmo » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:09 pm

The whole galaxy is the same for all players.

People who go out and explore the galaxy are just gathering data on the different worlds, stars and other items. Thus getting there name attached to that system/planet if they are first to discover them.

I assume the game will expand with the Thargoids ( http://elite-dangerous.wikia.com/wiki/Thargoids ) at some point.

Starman001
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Starman001 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:12 pm

So, technically I really arrived at the border of civilisation (the settled region ingame )then ? Exploring is nice, and now with the detailled surface scanner very lucrative, but somehow I'm not sure if I should venture into the depth :)

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:12 pm

Grab an advanced discovery scanner and detail scanner and fuel scoop and make a few bob.......

And if you bump into a Thargoid......

Terminate with extreme prejudice......

:D

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång

Postby uvelius » Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:57 pm

Is there a map overview somewhere where one can see which areas are (roughly) explored? So where to head for new lands?
Or another best exploration route planning technique?

M. Kowalsky
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Matt Kowalsky

Postby M. Kowalsky » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:08 pm

I'm wondering the same myself.
Also people keep talking about this Bubble but whenever I look at the Galaxy Map I can never "see" it.
How do you do it?
Is there some combination of parameters in the View panel that would make it more obvious?

Starman001
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Starman001 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:29 pm

The "bubble" is just a description I (and probably others) are using... Go in your galaxy map, go to the view tab, use "allegiance, economy or goverment" filters, check all systems except the "none", then zoom and out rotate around to get a good view. That way it is best visible. Even better, when you are near the border of inhabited space. You will see a very rough sphere of inhabited system, surrounded by "black", countless routes and stars,
Last edited by Starman001 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Starman001
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Starman001 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:30 pm

Cmdr Kharma wrote:Grab an advanced discovery scanner and detail scanner and fuel scoop and make a few bob.......

And if you bump into a Thargoid......

Terminate with extreme prejudice......

:D

I would be more than happy to run into some thargoids ;) But I guess we have to breed them first :)

M. Kowalsky
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Matt Kowalsky

Postby M. Kowalsky » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:52 pm

Starman001 wrote:The "bubble" is just a description I (and probably others) are using... Go in your galaxy map, go to the view tab, use "allegiance, economy or goverment" filters, check all systems except the "none", then zoom and out rotate around to get a good view. That way it is best visible. Even better, when you are near the border of inhabited space. You will see a very rough sphere of inhabited system, surrounded by "black", countless routes and stars,

Thanks, I'll try that next time.

Jeffers2112
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Jasper Randall
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Jeffers2112 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:15 am

I've done a few exploration trips, they are fun.
A few tips;- get a ship with good range, my best was an Asp that could do nearly 30 ly. Buy the best fuel scoop you can afford, it gets really tedious scooping with a low grade one, and also fit the biggest one you can manage, a 6B is better than a 5A and a lot cheaper etc.
Fit advanced discovery scanner and detailed surface scanners, for getting maximum cash for your data.
Try and avoid tourist spots, like going to the Pleides, they're well travelled and mapped out. I just pick a random direction and set off, get out around 500 ly and you should be in uncharted space....
Have fun!

Return to “General Discussion”