The Vulture loadout Thread: Plasma, Beam, Cannon, Shield Boosters ...

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Ghworg
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Ghworg
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: The Vulture loadout Thread: Plasma, Beam, Cannon, Shield Boosters ...

Postby Ghworg » Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:11 pm

clivewil wrote:would i waste a slot in my Vulture for an extra tank? probably not - i always managed to find a scoopable star within range - but it's good to have the capability if the need arises. might not be so lucky next time.

What about an extra tank instead of the scoop? I prefer that personally as I don't like stopping to scoop, having to check routes for scoopable stars etc.

clivewil
Master
Master
CMDR: clivewil + clivus

Postby clivewil » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:27 pm

Ghworg wrote:an extra tank instead of the scoop?

hmm not for me, a scoop gives a certain level of independence and self-sustainability that an extra tank does not.

but has anyone actually fitted an extra tank to a Vulture yet? when i added one to my DB-Ex i could only add 8t extra - 8t in a Vulture is double, but i suspect you might not be able to add another 8t, more like 4 or 2. i'll have a look next time i'm in outfitting

but even 16t total means you are limited to about 6 jumps - with a Vulture i'm either doing 1 single jump or a long journey of about 15, there seems to be no middle ground. i'd prefer to know i can undertake the whole trip without needing to rely on a station being there when i want it

...not to discourage you, of course. an extra tank might be a better solution for your particular style, i just don't think it fits mine
-- Fly safely, shoot straight, kill quickly, land softly --

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:49 pm

Another thing to consider is that the weight of an extra fuel tank will affect your jump distance.

BTW, if you select Economical Routes in the galaxy map, you don't have to check that the stars are scoopable. The map does it for you.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

jakspratt
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Tuzo

Postby jakspratt » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:19 am

Flip wrote:BTW, if you select Economical Routes in the galaxy map, you don't have to check that the stars are scoopable. The map does it for you.

That's interesting - might take longer to move around but moving via economical routes will probably save a lot of messing about waiting for fuel scooping.
Novice / Merchant / Pathfinder

Arda
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Seantier

Postby Arda » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:10 am

or.. if you set "fastest routes" then as your tank is getting low, switch to "economical routes" and the next jump will have a scoop able star :)
I tested with extra fuel tank and it works for how I play, but the "economical routes" trick is a good one as well.

Arda
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby Arda » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:06 pm

I am going to test out "Cuddles", as soon as I get a new Navy mission. I like the fact that it can hold some cargo as well for other types of missions.

clivewil
Master
Master

Postby clivewil » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:52 pm

Arda wrote:I am going to test out "Cuddles", as soon as I get a new Navy mission.

Cuddles rocks. let me know if you need the power priorities, that's one thing i didn't put in the screenshot.

it's 4am here so i'm going to bed but tomorrow morning i'll post them here - they're important to the operation of the whole thing

Feldspar
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Feldspar

Postby Feldspar » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:58 pm

I run 2 beams on mine, yes they don't fire for very long, but I love the shear melting power. Elsewhere, I'm light on toys and don't run a particulary impressive shield, but the jump range isn't bad.

clivewil
Master
Master

Postby clivewil » Fri Jun 12, 2015 2:53 am

here's Cuddles' power setup, it's pretty simple but it does the trick

the shield cell remains off until you need it - turn it on, fire it and wait for 5 seconds while it works, then turn it off again. your life support will cut out during this time, no need to panic.

same deal for the discovery scanner and kill warrant scanner - you don't need them both at once, so switch them in/out as needed

sensors are on priority 1 because often the enemy who damaged your shields is the same one you have targeted - so we don't want to lose him, as after we have fired off our shield cell we want to go straight back to him and smash his bloody face in. priority 1 makes sure you don't lose your current target and his subsystem target

an adjustment to the above pic - setting the FSD to 3 instead of 4 is a better idea.

as for fire groups, i use two - the first has both lasers primary, ADS/KWS secondary - the second has both lasers primary, chaff secondary

...good luck and have fun
Last edited by clivewil on Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Arda
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby Arda » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:39 am

Cool - thanks for the info :) . Now if only the game could give me some navy missions.

Return to “General Discussion”