The Vulture loadout Thread: Plasma, Beam, Cannon, Shield Boosters ...

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: The Vulture loadout Thread: Plasma, Beam, Cannon, Shield Boosters ...

Postby Loriath » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:26 am

Clivewel, bump those E modules (Life Support) to D t save Weight. Gets more Jump Range.

Nice, and Color Coded. Danger and OMG WE ARE ALL GONNA DIE. lol
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Sendraks
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Sendraks
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby Sendraks » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:56 am

I run with C3 pulse and a C3 cannon. The single pulse is good for popping everything up to Cobra size in a Res and I save the cannon for the bigger ships that appear.

Reloading is a bit of a pain, but compelling me to return to dock to reload and cash in my bounties helps avoid losing a load of bounties if something goes wrong. Ok, I've only flown into an asteroid once by accident (it was dark and I didn't have my lights on), but that's enough to make me wary of losing 1mill+ in bounties again.

clivewil
Master
Master
CMDR: clivewil + clivus

Postby clivewil » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:24 am

Loriath wrote:Clivewel, bump those E modules (Life Support) to D t save Weight. Gets more Jump Range.

i can't unfortunately, the very slight extra power draw of a 'D' unit forces me to have to downgrade something else to make it all fit.

i tend to spend a lot of time going between outfitters to modules to outfitters and back again, to get the balance as fine as i can while still being able to power up the ship. but every other type of ship i have runs 'D' life support - it's only on my Vultures where everything is balanced on a razor's edge, that power overrides weight
-- Fly safely, shoot straight, kill quickly, land softly --

Gorf
Master
Master
CMDR: Hardy

Postby Gorf » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:06 pm

Loriath wrote:...Hull doesn't help when they target subsystems.

Is that true? Just going off my experience of shooting NPCs, it takes noticeably fewer shots to reduce a 'conda's power plant from 80% to 0% if its hull is at 20% when you start, than it does to reduce its power plant from 80% to 0% if its hull starts at 95% or so.

Trinity Star
Master
Master
CMDR: Trinity Star

Postby Trinity Star » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:15 pm

I have stuck it out against Anacondas/Pythons when my shields have gone until they have been destroyed, my hull has never been below 80% yet...

Arda
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Seantier

Postby Arda » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:00 am

Im going to "upgrade" my PvE Cobra with a Vulture for pure PvE only. I cant afford a PvE combat python for the moment :)
Some good info in this thread. Any more tips or hints would be much appreciated :)

jakspratt
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Tuzo

Postby jakspratt » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:39 am

Just purchased a Vulture and first trip was to move it 114LY to join a CG. Glad I fitted a fuel scoop and with a 17LY jump (on fastest route) I was having to scoop nearly every other star. Is the capacity (8) the largest fuel tank you can fit on a vulture?
Novice / Merchant / Pathfinder

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:59 am

jakspratt wrote:Just purchased a Vulture and first trip was to move it 114LY to join a CG. Glad I fitted a fuel scoop and with a 17LY jump (on fastest route) I was having to scoop nearly every other star. Is the capacity (8) the largest fuel tank you can fit on a vulture?

From what I see in the 1.3 change log, additional fuel tanks can be added. I have not tested it though, so .... don't shoot the messenger if it doesn't work. ;)

From the change log: "Allow any general purpose slot on any ship to contain a fuel tank module"
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

PulsarShark
Novice
Novice
CMDR: PulsarShark

Postby PulsarShark » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:17 am

Additional fuel tanks are working, but you'll notice if you add one that it will decrease your jump range because your mass will go up several tons when it's full. So adding a fuel tank seems like something that's only practical for special situations like... I'm not sure...

Exploration? (With mass/route management, ie, don't scoop to 100% full until you see a string of unscoopable stars coming up). But that doesn't apply to Vultures.

Moving a new, not-yet-upgraded ship over a long distance? (Throw the tank in there, put in a better-than-stock FSD and fuel scoop, and save weight by leaving everything else until you get to a major station in the area where you intend to be operating for a while)

clivewil
Master
Master
CMDR: clivewil + clivus

Postby clivewil » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:54 am

PulsarShark wrote:So adding a fuel tank seems like something that's only practical for special situations like... I'm not sure...

before 1.3, a few of the community goals required me to travel from Fed space to Empire in my Vulture, and a couple of times there was a scary part of the journey where i found 3 brown dwarves in a row, and heard that lovely reassuring message "main fuel tank drained"

would i waste a slot in my Vulture for an extra tank? probably not - i always managed to find a scoopable star within range - but it's good to have the capability if the need arises. might not be so lucky next time.
-- Fly safely, shoot straight, kill quickly, land softly --

Return to “General Discussion”