The Vulture loadout Thread: Plasma, Beam, Cannon, Shield Boosters ...

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
clivewil
Master
Master
CMDR: clivewil + clivus
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: The Vulture loadout Thread: Plasma, Beam, Cannon, Shield Boosters ...

Postby clivewil » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:05 pm

Arda wrote:Now if only the game could give me some navy missions.

don't bother, the scoring is still broken for those. i have to abandon one worth 1.5 million credits because the kills aren't registering - no matter how many ships i kill, or which side i choose, or which zone i fight in - it always says 0/18. :( 1.3 has more than a few problems at the moment
-- Fly safely, shoot straight, kill quickly, land softly --

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:15 pm

You can say that again......

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Arda
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Seantier

Postby Arda » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:37 am

I actually loaded up "Pillars of Eternity" on Iron Man mode. Going to do that for a while until most of the "major" bugs are out of the way.

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:22 pm

Replaced the default bulkhead by the military one. 23m, now. Details.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:53 am

I'll just throw this up here. I'm back in the Vulture after a long absence, and inspired from some of the suggestions in this thread,
this is just about what I've settled on. I suppose I can upgrade the hull. Otherwise, the only thing I'd like to change is to trade the heat sink launcher for a chaff launcher. I wanted the heat sink launcher just in case I started taking damage and overheating really badly, but I haven't needed it. But there have been times I could have used a chaff launcher (several times). But to have it enabled with hard points deployed, I'll have to downgrade something else. Or maybe I'll keep them both and get rid of one of the shield boosters. Decisions, decisions. :)
It's time to give this another go.

uvelius
Master
Master
CMDR: Uvelius Sång

Postby uvelius » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:32 am

Flip wrote:Replaced the default bulkhead by the military one. 23m, now. Details.

I somehow manage to stay below 12 mil even with Plasma ... and I am pleased nonetheless :)
OK, I cheated a bit by equipping the Beauty at 15% discount.
Though I don't sport military composite ... felt no need. When my hull is seriously compromised, my thrusters are shot in any case, so hull does not seem to matter that much.
Or does MComposite now also strengthen subsystems?
@Flip, why the Heat Sinks? Silent Running? Thought that doesn't affect NPCs? EDIT strange. I am sure I read "heat sinks" in you configuration.
Last edited by uvelius on Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:54 pm

Heat sinks? I don't use heat sinks. :)
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

robfm81
Expert
Expert
CMDR: ROBFM81
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby robfm81 » Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:35 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:I'll just throw this up here. I'm back in the Vulture after a long absence, and inspired from some of the suggestions in this thread,
this is just about what I've settled on. I suppose I can upgrade the hull. Otherwise, the only thing I'd like to change is to trade the heat sink launcher for a chaff launcher. I wanted the heat sink launcher just in case I started taking damage and overheating really badly, but I haven't needed it. But there have been times I could have used a chaff launcher (several times). But to have it enabled with hard points deployed, I'll have to downgrade something else. Or maybe I'll keep them both and get rid of one of the shield boosters. Decisions, decisions. :)

I would lose a shield booster. I run with one.

If you want to survive out here, you've got to know where your towel is.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:53 pm

robfm81 wrote:I would lose a shield booster. I run with one.

I did. :) Dropped one and upgraded the other to 0A, which also allowed me to upgrade the KWS and add a chaff launcher, and keep both the chaff launcher and heat sink launcher active with hard points deployed. I haven't needed the heat sinks yet, but the trader in me likes to keep them around - just in case. If missiles did anything against shields, I'd probably switch them out for point defense. I don't have the spare power to upgrade anything else, so I might as well just keep them. I also added the military composites, which don't seem to affect handling as I thought they would.

Details.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:57 pm

So I finally tried gimballed pulse lasers and I'm disgusted with the results. Disgusted, that is, by how unbelievably fast and easy they take out ships. I fell for the crap from Frontier about how beams are so much stronger and fixed weapons are even stronger still. But with beams overheating so quickly, and with fixed weapons having lousy convergence on subsystems, the weak and cheap-ass pulse lasers actually perform better under most circumstances. I always assumed people used pulse lasers because they used so much less power, leaving more available to power other systems (or because they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn). At 8 times the cost and twice the power, I really think the sacrifices you have to make to use fixed beams should pay off and slice through ships like butter compared to gimballed pulses. I thought the Vulture was easy before, but this is ridiculous. :roll:

Return to “General Discussion”