Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
PvtClip
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: PvtClip
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Is Mobius killing Piracy?

Postby PvtClip » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:37 pm

That race analogy is an excellent one. I didnt know we had some serious racers in here and I totally agree with that comparison.

Zeroxephon
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Zeroxephon

Postby Zeroxephon » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:46 pm

I actually ran into a bunch of people trading last night. It scared the crap out of me every time I did due to being traumatized by open play. Every one of the people I ran into either ignored me or said hello and tried to strike up a conversation. Its really a nice change. Pretty much if Mobius did not exist I would be on solo or not playing at all. So screw those whiny pirate assholes, they are the soul reason people are leaving open play in droves.

Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin

Postby Flip » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:59 pm

PvtClip wrote:That race analogy is an excellent one. I didnt know we had some serious racers in here and I totally agree with that comparison.

Me too! LFS public servers, anyone? ;)
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:21 pm

The issue with true piracy (the ones that just take some cargo and go) is that their placement is not relative to the risk/reward equation. Basically, real world pirates (Somalian for example) exist where there is little authority and high reward for the traders (avoiding Somali pirates adds considerable distance to the trade route thereby reducing profits), in ED pirates can exist anywhere.

IMHO system security should make it almost impossible for pirates to exist in 'high security systems', with the trade-off being that profits for traders are lower than those possible in 'low security systems'. If one thinks about it, if a system has poor security and high piracy, then it is logical that stations would have to pay more for their goods to encourage traders to take the risk - of course how this is balanced re open vs. solo/private needs to be considered, but I guess there could be more NPC pirates in these systems relative to the number of players.

The 'other' pirates are little boys (& girls) with poor self esteem who have a deep psychological need to feel superior. When one looks at the psychology of bullies (as I have as part of my work) one finds that there is generally some underlying issue, be it that they have been the victims of bullies themselves, they have poor social skills and therefore few (if any) friends, or they suffer from a lack of parental attention.

Unfortunately these are the ones who throw stones at ducks and pull the legs of spiders, so ED gives them a perfect consequence free avenue for them to vent their frustrations.

At best they turn into camouflage wearing loners who spend their days writing badly spelt drivel on the Mail On-line website, at worst the next time you hear about them is at a police press conference.

Of course this isn't the case for all of them by any means, some griefers are just dicks.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:24 pm

Is Mobius killing piracy? You'd have to ask him! Badum-tish. :roll:

I certainly hope something is. If piracy was realistic at all in regards to frequency and violence, I wouldn't mind it. If you compare a ship captain's chance of being pirated here on Earth, or a car driver being carjacked, it is very, very low. I'm sure the vast majority never have it happen, and some miniscule fraction have it happen more than once. So if the chance of having it happen in game was maybe once a year I could probably live with that - assuming I survived. So interdict me, mass lock me and blow my hatch as I will refuse to cooperate, and steal my cargo - but then leave. I don't need a wing of Cobras destroying my T9 just because I refuse to hand over my cargo and you can't figure out another way to get it. I should also be able to further reduce my risk by traveling in more secure systems - not just from NPCs, but from little boys, too.

As for the pirates, there should be a lot more risk. If I fight back, ok, maybe pvp is OK. But if I don't fight back and you murder me, you should get a huge bounty. And when you are caught, you should have your account frozen for 6 months. Maybe freeze it a month if caught just for piracy. And pirates don't get insurance. There should also be a much better police presence in areas where piracy is a problem, so they are more likely to be caught. I bet a little "jail time" and higher costs may discourage them a bit.

Also, whet he said ^^^
It's time to give this another go.

M. Kowalsky
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Matt Kowalsky

Postby M. Kowalsky » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:03 pm

<sarcastic>
... but but, you're so cruel.
These poor lads & lasses wouldn't be able to play the way they want, the way they were promised they would be able to play (and, by the way, get access to the same high-end equipment than traders do).
</sarcastic>

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:06 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:
As for the pirates, there should be a lot more risk. If I fight back, ok, maybe pvp is OK. But if I don't fight back and you murder me, you should get a huge bounty. And when you are caught, you should have your account frozen for 6 months. Maybe freeze it a month if caught just for piracy. And pirates don't get insurance. There should also be a much better police presence in areas where piracy is a problem, so they are more likely to be caught. I bet a little "jail time" and higher costs may discourage them a bit.

I like the 'jail' idea, I don't think it should be a ban (FD actually quote piracy as a valid occupation, and one of the devs said that murder is permissible), but having your ship impounded if you get caught would add a certain piquancy to the game
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

Raze
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Rhaze

Postby Raze » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:18 pm

Khali Nephtys wrote:My suggestion to them is this, rather than blame Mobius for creating a place where people can play ED from a PvE and consensual PvP aspect, how about they create a group for pirates and those who enjoy the prospect of interacting with said pirates?

My view on most things in life is that anything goes, so long as there is consent.

You can argue with the Pirates and "PvPers" on the FD forums until you are blue in the face, it won't accomplish a damn thing because in the end all they really want is a larger pool of players(preferably weaker) to pick off and have their way with for their own ego stroking/amusement. Plain and simple. They will try to deflect and distract and make it about some other meaningless reason but in the end anyone with half a brain and a basic concept of how the online gaming world works these days can see right through that.

They claim there are so many of them on the FD forums that want everyone in Open and bla bla bla but stop and ask them, if there are so many of them why do they all just not make a giant Mobius-like PvP/Pirate private group and play with each other? Because A) There are in fact NOT that many of them and B) It would be the most miserable, uninspired gankfest the world has ever seen. They need VICTIMS, not "balance" as they put it. But they will never admit it because then they would actually be seen as the deficient trolls they really are.

I truly believe the EVE Online theory, that they are starting to take over and manipulate the game to how they see fit, and it kills me because the joy I feel when playing this game is something I get out of maybe 1 in 10 games I play these days.
Flying with: Thrustmaster HOTAS X
Using: ASTRA and D.A.R.K from Elite Dangerous Voicepack for total immersion.