Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Pb1of6
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Mike Mercury
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Is Mobius killing Piracy?

Postby Pb1of6 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:00 pm

Is our group slowly killing of the pirates role in ED ?. I ask this question because I was watching a twitch stream of a well know pirate in which he was with three other well know pirates in a wing. These are proper pirates who go about it (in my opinion anyway) the correct way they stop you, warn you, ask you for a portion of your cargo, then leave if they get it, if you fight or run then that’s when it gets nasty. Anyway I digress what came up in their wings chat windows was “Mobius is killing piracy” I assume this was because of the lack of traders in the vicinity which was Lave/Diso.
So has the buffed up bounty hunting driven traders to hunting or has the small amount of griefers who get a lot of publicity on the main FD forums pushed the traders into Mobius.

Khali Nephtys
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Khali Nephtys

Re: Is Mobius killing Piracy?

Postby Khali Nephtys » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:12 pm

My suggestion to them is this, rather than blame Mobius for creating a place where people can play ED from a PvE and consensual PvP aspect, how about they create a group for pirates and those who enjoy the prospect of interacting with said pirates?

My view on most things in life is that anything goes, so long as there is consent.
"You can kiss my Asp!"

Sendraks
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Sendraks

Postby Sendraks » Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:20 pm

I'm not sure what portion of the playerbase is taken up by Mobius and how many are on open. However, my gut instinct says it is unreasonable to blame Mobius for the shortage of pirate targets in Lave/Diso.

The reason being is that Elite Dangerous is freakin huge and the playerbase could easily screw over pirates by just dispersing across inhabited space, which I suspect is the more likely problem. There are plenty of lucrative trade routes spread across inhabited space, maybe not all of them super profitable, but if you're a player wanting to trade off between reduced profit vs not getting shot at, it is a sensible move.

At which point, the pirates need to do more work to find those profitable routes and see if any players are using them.

PvtClip
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: PvtClip

Postby PvtClip » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:32 pm

Mobius is just a target for some arguing that open play needs to be forced on everyone else. All this is doing is making me want to go back to solo. Never have and never will understand why some think its fun to ruin others game play and to simply cause pain to others. I dont think Mobius is hurting anything, in fact, it offers a needed and wanted service for those that want to play happily with others. There seems to be more than enough playing in open. Honestly, those complaining the loudest are the ones that encourage others to seek out Private and Solo. I dont feel one bit sorry for any of them. They brought it on themselves.

Parry
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Parryacg

Postby Parry » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:38 pm

The thing is, a true pirate doesn't resort in killing the very people they prey on. The objective is the cargo, and if it means limpeting and potentially mass-locking them while their FSD charging for it, then by all means. But if their intention is both the cargo and then killing you, then that's not true piracy, that's just griefing.

Someone had a guide on the forums about what true piracy is, and I agree with it.

Feldspar
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Feldspar

Postby Feldspar » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:43 pm

I read somewhere that there are 400,000 player accounts, a portion of these are lying fallow, but I still don't see the 6000 and change in Mobius making a huge dent on those remaining in game. Mobius isn't killing proper piracy, people who shoot other players for no reason are driving people to solo and private groups, these are killing piracy.

Boozeman
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Boozeman

Postby Boozeman » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:52 pm

Has anyone asked those online whiners What's wrong with pirating the npc's? Those whiners shall whine whine and whine (Like their kin in BF4 who constantly yell "Shotgun noob" or something such "adult")

We have 6000+ commander here and my humble opinion that is very very strong statement to Frontier Developments

How about:

Solo
Open play PvP
Open play PvE
Private group

M. Kowalsky
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Matt Kowalsky

Postby M. Kowalsky » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:52 pm

But even for "real" pirates, the implication is that the Player interactions are modeled around one of the two being a victim.
And I'm sorry, but however you want to put it, being a victim is not fun. Whether they kill you outright or simply ask for some of your cargo.

So, they're unhappy that their supply of victims is dwindling? That's hardly a surprise

... and now we're starting to see calls from these guys about lowering the cost of insurance or death, so that being a victim becomes inconsequential. Thereby devaluing the whole experience for anyone who doesn't want to play CounterStrike in Space

Khali Nephtys
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Khali Nephtys

Postby Khali Nephtys » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:53 pm

It's like Anchovies, no really it is!

You see not everyone likes anchovies, they are sort of an acquired taste. These 'pirates' say they like anchovies, and that anchovies are so awesome that everyone should like them, in fact everyone should be forced to have them regardless.

However, when you show up with anchovies for the pirates, they actually decline them, making all sorts of excuses, you know allergies, notes from their mum etc.

Because truth be told, they hate anchovies too! What they enjoy is making other people eat them, it's just a shame they can't admit that little fact even to themselves.
"You can kiss my Asp!"

Sendraks
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Sendraks

Postby Sendraks » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:05 pm

Feldspar wrote:I read somewhere that there are 400,000 player accounts, a portion of these are lying fallow, but I still don't see the 6000 and change in Mobius making a huge dent on those remaining in game.

I wonder how that figure translates to the number of occupied systems in game i.e. those with a station. If the entire player base were online and spread out, how many players per station would there be.

We've got 6000 Mobius players. I've seen all of one in the same system as me whilst playing the game in inhabited space.

Feldspar wrote:Mobius isn't killing proper piracy, people who shoot other players for no reason are driving people to solo and private groups, these are killing piracy.

Yup. It breaks the immersion of the game to have someone come shoot at you for no reason other than "for lulz." Akin to playing a serious online racing game where one other jackass in the race just wants to ram other players off the track.

Return to “General Discussion”