Is Mobius killing Piracy?

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Pekka
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Is Mobius killing Piracy?

Postby Pekka » Fri Apr 03, 2015 7:04 pm

HAMM3R wrote:Piracy would be something that is there but choosing the life of a criminal would have serious consequenses thus making it the hardest profession to pursue.

This would be the best and most realistic way to implement it. And it would be great if the game had more true roleplaying options available. Currently it's quite lacking in that department.

In ED, the security forces in any system are pretty much useless. This is not realistic - a galactic civilization wouldn't be able to function and exist normally if so many ships were plundered and destroyed the moment they leave the immediate vicinity of a station.

In real world, a criminal way of life is not the easiest option available in most countries of the world. There are some failed states where it seems to be a viable choice, but in most countries it is anything but.

Blackfoxx
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Blackfoxx
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Blackfoxx » Fri Apr 03, 2015 8:58 pm

My perspective is that there is a reason i bought elite dangerous, and a reason also that i liked the original elite in the 80's... back in the 80's i did not have pvp, i played against npc's.. and the game for me was excellent. Now that is not to say i don't like pvp totally because when its a matter of choice and i know where to go to find it, that is fine, but watching my back every single time i fly is not how i like it.

Mobius caters for a large number of very like minded folk and heck if we really do want to play in open that is our choice and we know that pvp will likely find us quickly if we use that mode.. however people in open can't just hop into mobius unless they apply to join and even then they have to abide and play by the mobius rules.

So if people are not playing in their playpen, they simply look towards the biggest named private group they can and blame them for their lack of prey in open.. however they forgot to blame the main mode where they chased most people to ... SOLO.

I played solo for ages, and my choice to join Mobius i think was a good one to make, i've not met any players who haven't been funny, polite and many other positive traits yet.. and this has proven that my choice was the right one.

What i would like to see now to solidy game styles in private groups is if FD would give the group leader(s) the options to edit to a good level the actual group rules so that punishments could become somewhat automatic, including sin-bins, bans and wanted status which gets the security forces on their back whenever they are near stations.

Great group this, I wouldn't let the petty thoughts of some pirates in open deter you from playing the way you choose to.

Colin The Grey
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Colin The Grey

Postby Colin The Grey » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:45 am

If it was me I would have designed it like this.

Once a players bounty goes past say 50k - they can no longer Dock at any station with that faction - eg. Empire - so they can't pay the bounty off.

Once it rises past 100k - they can no longer dock with any Fed, Empire or Alliance station.

Once it rises past 200k they can only dock at Anarchy station.

At anarchy stations they can pay a Fixer to clear the bounty - if they are Neutral then this will cost 25x the bounty - so a 100k bounty would cost 2.5M to clear. If they raise their Rep to allied with the faction controlling the Anarchy station then it's only 10x the bounty cost.

Also once their Bounty hit 100k - the insurance company would require them to pay 50% of the value of their ship on destruction, once they reach 200k bounty their insurance would be void. Would make it interesting for them to try to reach an anarchy system to clear their bounty - ideally System Security patrols in systems adjacent to anarchy worlds would be beefed up.

Also if their bounty is 100k+ change the Combat log off warning time from 15sec to 1 minute :-D

-Jericho-
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: -Jericho-

Postby -Jericho- » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:35 am

In real life, if you break it you buy, right?
And if you did it intentionally, you get fined as well for being a mean person.

So, why not have the same apply in this game?

If in E:D you attack and destroy a 17mil ship, then you owe 17mil, plus the cargo, plus a fine for being a meanie. Simple.
If you attack and damage a 17mil ship by using limpets and such but don't destroy it then you owe the cost of the repairs, plus the cargo, plus a fine for being a meanie.
This would promote 'no-kill' piracy to a large extent.

Also, in real life, Bounty Hunters never make the full percentage on their contract, they make a reduced portion. This should be the same in E:D. It would have to be balanced appropriately, but I'm thinking something like 20% of the total bounty is the reward for taking down a pirate.
This would make 'killers' very sought after prizes, which would further incentivize no-kill piracy for most players.
Also, this BH percentage will prevent people from killing their friends to clear the fines and then just returning the money.

Its an interesting problem and there is definitely a solution. FDev will figure it out, I have faith.

Return to “General Discussion”