Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Flip
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Flip Martin
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Which Ship: Decision time!

Postby Flip » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:03 am

Lots of info about the shields capacity on the Wiki.
We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty! ―Douglas Adams

Sendraks
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Sendraks

Postby Sendraks » Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:58 am

Not arguing about the shield efficiency, it takes a long time for the shields on my vulture to drop but when they're down.....ow, they stay down a long time. The Asp is a larger target than the Vulture as well, so it's going to take more of a beating on its shields by default.

My experience of doing RES between my fully kitted out Vulture and my mostly C class Asp is that there isn't a huge amount in it. The Vulture performs better and for much less cash than the current fitting on my Asp. I'm risking less flying the Vulture for slightly better results. I could A rate the Asp and get similar performance, but why risk the higher rebuy when the Vulture will still do the job?

clivewil
Master
Master
CMDR: clivewil + clivus

Postby clivewil » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:48 am

those Class 3 hardpoints really make a difference though. i'd rather have the Vulture's 2x C3 than the Asp's 2x C2 + 4x C1
-- Fly safely, shoot straight, kill quickly, land softly --

Sendraks
Novice
Novice

Postby Sendraks » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:56 am

I find having a huge cannon on my tiny ship to be tremendous fun. It also encourages me to manoeuvre into a better firing position for targeting sub-systems on large ships, rather than just firing away. And you lose no damage against large ships like you do with the Asp's guns.

Running all lasers is dull to me and feels sub-optimal when it comes to chewing through hulls. I've never run all lasers on the Asp, having x2 class 2 multi's and 4 small burst or pulse was far more efficient.

KleinerFisch
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Pisciculus

Postby KleinerFisch » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:08 am

Sendraks wrote:Not arguing about the shield efficiency, it takes a long time for the shields on my vulture to drop but when they're down.....ow, they stay down a long time. The Asp is a larger target than the Vulture as well, so it's going to take more of a beating on its shields by default.

My experience of doing RES between my fully kitted out Vulture and my mostly C class Asp is that there isn't a huge amount in it. The Vulture performs better and for much less cash than the current fitting on my Asp. I'm risking less flying the Vulture for slightly better results. I could A rate the Asp and get similar performance, but why risk the higher rebuy when the Vulture will still do the job?

That's why I mentioned the A6 shield generator module ... costs 16million ! With that A6 module on Asp (lower base shield x higher multiplicator) you might come close to i.e. A5 vulture ship shield (higher base shield x lower multiplicator), but to get on par with the Asp you spend as much for just that one module as you'd spend for an almost fully upgraded Vulture. Now, with the rebuy cost plus the size = more hits by default ... well, you'd risk a lot more than flying some dispensable combat beast ;)

And as clivewil mentioned, higher classed hardpoints DO make quite some difference in combat situations. FD doesn't give us hard fact numbers about DPS, but seems like 2xC3 do more damage than 2xC2+4xC1 ... I just wished they'd give us C3 multicannons, I love them "to death" :evil:
You sure have bigger fish to fry ...

Sendraks
Novice
Novice

Postby Sendraks » Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:23 am

KleinerFisch wrote:And as clivewil mentioned, higher classed hardpoints DO make quite some difference in combat situations.

Yeah, I've already mentioned a few times that the large weapons on a vulture don't suffer a damage penalty against large ships the way medium and small weapons do.

KleinerFisch wrote: I just wished they'd give us C3 multicannons, I love them "to death" :evil:

I suspect this is why we'd never see them. They'd be too much of a "default" option compared to the other weapon types. I forget the name of the youtube channel, but someone did research that showed ammo/dps wise, the multi-cannon was the most efficient weapon against hulls at the small/medium levels.

I confess, for the large mounts on the Vulture, I don't see there being much point beyond fitting C3 lasers or 1 C3 laser and 1 C3 cannon. For the cost and the power draw, I really don't see the advantage of a plasma accelerator over a cannon. I can't see the point of a fragment cannon at all.

Instead of a multi-cannon, a repeating cannon would be cool. Lower rate of fire, limited number of projectiles per burst (3) and only a slightly higher projectile speed than a cannon. Something that would deliver better performance than a cannon 'if' all three rounds hit, but the pilot would have to be flying and aiming well to do that, even with a gimbal.

Emanon
Master
Master
CMDR: Emanon

Postby Emanon » Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:50 pm

I for one can speak from my very recent new purchase of the Vulture (2 days ago).

I love my Cobra and used it for all of the Lugh war event, fully kitted out for BH. Then I recently bought my Vulture and thought, "holy crap, this isn't even kitted out fully yet and I'm just melting bigger ships in 1/2 the time!". I'm sure clivewil that you have already made the purchase and a fully kitted cheaper ship is always a good start, as lets you experience all this world has to offer. But for the money that you earn faster than any other affordable ship (IMO) the Vulture is hands down the way to go. To the point where I'm a little scared that Frontier is going to nerf them. :-(
CMDR Emanon

Zeroxephon
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Zeroxephon

Postby Zeroxephon » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:11 pm

Vulture
Viper
Set the following to priority 3;
Cargo hatch (you can just turn this off if you want)
fuel scoop
FSD

Now I am sitting on this conundrum.
Python
or
FDL

emeketos
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: emeketos

Postby emeketos » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:44 am

KleinerFisch wrote:Viper.

For your money you can FULLY combat-upgrade it, plus A-grade thrusters/Pplant/distri/shield and have fun flying circles around enemies. Add chaff, KWS, SCB. With that ship you'll be able to rack up bounties and even if you loose a fight, rebuy cost is tiny.

Cobra is fun, but the shields are weaker than a Vipers.

Bytheway, Asp will never be as good for combat as a Vulture ... as with Cobra to Viper, the shields of Multipurpose are never as good as those of Combat ships. Even if you add shield boosters and high-class shields (like A6 on Asp that costs 16million creds!).

My path is to have one Multipurpose ship (trading, exploration, a bit of combat) that is now my Asp and one pure combat that now is the Viper. Working towards a Vulture, as soon as I got that beast I will sell my Viper ... or maybe keep it, for funsies ;)

I am flying a Cobra ATM viper wasn't in my system when I upgraded its working ok for me. I understand the Viper is better in many respects. I have about 3 million in invested in my cobra where most of my mountings are at "B" level. I am looking to upgrade but the question is at what point of total cash is a good upgrade point. Vulture costs what 7 million? but at stock its barely equipped better than a eagle, large weapons are very expensive. So what do you think is the best point to upgrade?

KleinerFisch
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Pisciculus

Postby KleinerFisch » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:05 am

emeketos wrote:I am flying a Cobra ATM viper wasn't in my system when I upgraded its working ok for me. I understand the Viper is better in many respects. I have about 3 million in invested in my cobra where most of my mountings are at "B" level. I am looking to upgrade but the question is at what point of total cash is a good upgrade point. Vulture costs what 7 million? but at stock its barely equipped better than a eagle, large weapons are very expensive. So what do you think is the best point to upgrade?

I think the best point to upgrade to a bigger ship is when you're able to both buy it AND fully upgrade it. For Vulture that'd be 18 million, for Asp 40 million credits. Remember to have at least 2-3 million credits saved, for rebuy and trading and whatever. DO NOT RISK ANYTHING ! ;)

IIRC a fully A-graded Cobra is around 8 million, so for you it might be faster to for a cheap but effective Viper instead. I'd suggest to move your Cobra to a system where they a) sell Viper and b) the neccessary upgrades (Viper + upgrades cost 2million credits) and c) has a RES. Do some RES-hunting in your Cobra until you got 2 million. Buy Viper and upgrade it. Take the Viper for RES bountyhunting and earn 1.5 - 2 million in bounties per hour. Hunt until you accumulated 20 million credits. Sell the Viper (sell upgrades first, then ship!), hop into your Cobra and move to a system that sells a Vulture + upgrades.

Wherever you're at now, check how far it is to Anlave ... that's a system that sells Vipers and Vultures and most of the highest upgrades. Close to Anlave are systems with RES (just one or two hops away) for profitable bountyhunting. Empire and Federation systems nearby, so its easy to hand in both faction bounty vouchers. If you're bored with hunting, close to Anlave is Zeessze / George Pantazis for Rares-Trading Circuit. Or do some missions in between. Within a relative short time you got a fully upgraded combat Vulture and a fully upgraded Multipurpose Asp. Keep your Cobra and the Viper if you like, compared to the fully upgraded medium ships they're cheap but it's nice to have them parked somewhere, for change of pace every now and then. :)
You sure have bigger fish to fry ...

Return to “General Discussion”