Harma
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Amrah
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Ooooh, shiny Vulture

Postby Harma » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:41 pm

OK, so I'm ready for all the "Oh my God, why did you buy that"

Had been flying around in a Clipper for a while - fun ship, sleek lines, but has issues with handling and the separation of the mounts.

Thought, "Dang it, let's see what all the fuss is about with this Vulture thingumajig"

What can I say, it's FUN FUN FUN. I'm used to trading, and having the occasional spat with interdictions, and USS points if I get a little bored (which can be often when plugging from one place to another). Now, I'm hitting the RES sites hard (In the Vaka system), don't get me started on those pesky little three man wings with 2 cobras and a sidewinder, they're just an amuse bouche for the real meat of the system - ANACONDAs :D This little ship packs a mean punch, so nicely manoeverable, and yes I know they've updated the bounty system a little bit, but I'm getting a nice set of dosh, not as much as if I was trading in my old Asp / Clipper, but made myself a cool million in an hour just through liberal use of the Warrent Scanner, 2 nice Class 3 burst lasers (what ammunition ;) ) and repair cost - minimal! OK, hit me with 25% hull damage, that cost me 4k to fix. Yeah, I wrote that right, 4k. Take 25% of my clipper and I was looking at a HUGE repair bill. And no, I'm not using anything fancy like Shield Boosters, just me, a chunk of A grade internal upgrades and a massive grin on my face.

Unfortunately this fun did have one major downside. I've just killed David Attenborough - I feel terrible now, even though he was Wanted status :(

Emanon
Master
Master
CMDR: Emanon

Re: Ooooh, shiny Vulture

Postby Emanon » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:04 pm

Nice to hear someone enjoying the new ships... lots of complaints in other areas. I had a fun spot of bounty hunting last night as well and was pleasantly surprised at the increase if potential earnings. Sure it still no large/high value commodity or rare trade run type of credits, but for 20 minutes of fun I earned nearly 300k. And I was just joining AI Wings or security vessels out at Nav Beacons, just think of the potential earnings for coordinated player Wings... some one join me already! ;-)
CMDR Emanon

Harma
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Harma » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:29 pm

I think the main complaint has been about the pricing structure - but as this is about to change in the next hour or so, I am waiting to see what the next issue is. I am still gonna save for a FDL, oh yes indeed!

Are there bonus's for being in wings on earnings, or is it just the fact you can clear the screen a lot quicker ?

Feral Erik
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Feral Erik

Postby Feral Erik » Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:37 pm

The repairs on the Vulture seem reasonable (compared to Python or Type-9, that is). With 2 fixed Beam level 3s it tore up the Low Intensity Conflict Zone I flew into... I want to find gimballed level 3 Beams to make life easier, but for now, I am digging the Vulture's longevity.

Emanon
Master
Master
CMDR: Emanon

Postby Emanon » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:54 pm

Are there bonus's for being in wings on earnings, or is it just the fact you can clear the screen a lot quicker ?

I think its still the same value and up to you to get more if you use the Kill Warrant Scanner (KWS) as well, but I think the biggest benefit is your team, even if just 2 commanders (everything else is a bonus) will get through stuff quicker and not "steal" kills.
CMDR Emanon

clivewil
Master
Master
CMDR: clivewil + clivus

Postby clivewil » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:12 pm

Harma wrote:Dang it, let's see what all the fuss is about with this Vulture thingumajig

been wanting to try one myself, but haven't found one in a shipyard yet. (i'm currently in sorbago, near vequess and facece)
-- Fly safely, shoot straight, kill quickly, land softly --

Feldspar
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Feldspar

Postby Feldspar » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:07 pm

The Vulture is next on my list (I figure I need another 10 million before I can fit one to an acceptable standard, 20 for all out top of the line). I recently tarted up my Viper to get myself back into the groove of flying a fighter and not a general purpose boat.

KleinerFisch
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Pisciculus

Postby KleinerFisch » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:29 pm

Harma wrote:I'm not using anything fancy like Shield Boosters, just me, a chunk of A grade internal upgrades and a massive grin on my face.

Oh my God, how much did you pay for that ?

Seriously, as a mainly combat-focused CMDR I'm really interested in the Vulture and reading your OP log I thought "YEEEEHAW! I wanna do that too !!!". I was a bit scared reading all the reddit rants this morning in the office, but now after a little more than 1 hour of intense and fun-packed bountyhunting at a RES with my Viper and 750k cr (!!) of bounty vouchers ... well ... could be an achievable goal, without needing to do those boring trade runs ;)
You sure have bigger fish to fry ...

clivewil
Master
Master
CMDR: clivewil + clivus

Postby clivewil » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:29 am

KleinerFisch wrote:Oh my God, how much did you pay for that ?

surprisingly the upgrades weren't very expensive for many of the parts, i used the buyback from the A-grade Cobra i stripped and sold for several of them (but i had to go hunting elsewhere for the higher-grade power coupler)

---> ok i decided 2x class 3 beams weren't the way to go, and also ditched anything like cargo bays and discovery scanners. with a class 3 beam and a class 3 pulse she proved herself in the RES and came home with almost 700k in bounties after a little longer than an hour, and the day isn't over yet. that's excellent performance from something that looks like a collision between an accordion and a cornflakes box.

on the other side of the coin, i have never been so nervous as i was on the way home from Exioce (where i bought her) to LHS 317 - her overall range is so short that all it would take was two un-scoopable systems in a row, and i would be too low on fuel to continue (not to mention the piss-tiny little fuel scoop on her. it's like sticking a teaspoon out the window and tipping it into bucket. very slow.)

so this lethal little girl hunts in her home system only, but i had enough cash left over to A-grade a Cobra which i can use as an inter-system runabout. a major win.
-- Fly safely, shoot straight, kill quickly, land softly --

Harma
Harmless
Harmless

Postby Harma » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:17 am

KleinerFisch wrote:
Harma wrote:I'm not using anything fancy like Shield Boosters, just me, a chunk of A grade internal upgrades and a massive grin on my face.

Oh my God, how much did you pay for that ?

Seriously, as a mainly combat-focused CMDR I'm really interested in the Vulture and reading your OP log I thought "YEEEEHAW! I wanna do that too !!!". I was a bit scared reading all the reddit rants this morning in the office, but now after a little more than 1 hour of intense and fun-packed bountyhunting at a RES with my Viper and 750k cr (!!) of bounty vouchers ... well ... could be an achievable goal, without needing to do those boring trade runs ;)

I'll admit, it wasn't cheap, about the same price as a nicely kitted out clipper. Here's the breakdown of what I got
Vulture - 21,925,615
2xE3 Burst Laser - 281,600 each
B0 Kill Warrent Scanner - 365,698
Standard Alloys
A4 Power Plant - 1,610,080
C5 Thrusters - 567,106
A4 FSD - 1,610,080
A3 Life Support - 158,331
A5 Power Distributer - 1,241,317
C4 Sensors - 70,932
Standard Fuel Tank
D5 Shield Generator - 189,035