I am considering a move from trading to combat...

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
TheBBP
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

I am considering a move from trading to combat...

Postby TheBBP » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:37 pm

If not only to blast pirates who put their interdictions all over everybody, right out of the sky.

I have 1.2 mil in credits and a mil or better in ship trade-in value and am thinking about getting into a nice gov't security job with the Alliance. Are there any guides that will help me get a foot in the door? I briefly tried this route in the beginning but had a hard time finding targets.

Any advice?
"but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
Romans 5:8

Hicky
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Hickinbotham
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: I am considering a move from trading to combat...

Postby Hicky » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:32 pm

I find hanging around the Nav Beacon gives a good selection of bad guys to shoot. I'm still experimenting with weapon loadouts for my Cobra, so cannot give you any advice in that department. The best guide for me was to just go out and find something to shoot. :)

Scarstitchez
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Scarstitchez

Postby Scarstitchez » Sun Feb 22, 2015 7:46 pm

I run 2 class 2 Multicannons and 2 class 1 beams on my Cobra...both gimballed because I am a lousy shot. seems to work well. Still seems like it takes forever to kill anything bigger than another Cobra. I am only Novice in combat rank...does rank give any benefits?

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:32 pm

Hicky wrote:I find hanging around the Nav Beacon gives a good selection of bad guys to shoot. I'm still experimenting with weapon loadouts for my Cobra, so cannot give you any advice in that department. The best guide for me was to just go out and find something to shoot. :)

Yep.......

Currently running my Cobra with Primaries Class 2 beam and pulse....Both gimballed......

Secondary's.....Multi cannon and fragment cannon......Both gimballed......

Don't know how they perform yet.....Just got back in my Cobra and not been interdicted in 4 hours.....

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

Emanon
Master
Master
CMDR: Emanon

Postby Emanon » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:47 am

Racking up some bounties in a Resouce Site is good too because then you can have the fun of dodging asteroids and taking out targets with Security help, or helping our players/npcs doing mining. I use a Cobra for that myself.
CMDR Emanon

dbcher
Harmless
Harmless

Postby dbcher » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:41 am

I find double pulse gimballed for primary and double gimballed cannons for secondary work quite well with my cobra.
I know I could do better with a different config, but I am limited since I only have a KB and Mouse setup

Hicky
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Hickinbotham

Postby Hicky » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:56 am

At the moment I'm running a Plasma Accelerator and Cannon as primaries. I've got an A rated Cobra, but chasing down a Sidewinder can be fun. Had to change my target reticle from trailing to leading to make life a little easier. Probably not the best setup, but adds a bit of zest to combat. :)

KleinerFisch
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Pisciculus

Postby KleinerFisch » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:01 am

If you're really want to go pure combat, I would recommend the Viper ! Cobra can be outfitted fine but it's the hardpoint placement that makes the Viper better. I got a fully equipped Cobra, with fixed beams and gimballed MC ... it's okay to do some bountyhunting and has enough cargo space to run missions and even rares trading in between. But with gim MCs its hard to keep locked on target.

Viper is so much better and even after the nerf (shieldbanks, heat generation) it works fine. Fixed beams to take the shields down, gimballed MC to shred the hull on smaller, target subsystems for bigger prey. 2 pips on shield, 4 pips on weapons and still outmanouvering everything (except Eagles, but these melt under your perma fire). Got A class shieldgenerator, power distributer, reactor and equipped chaff and KWS. You'll have to manage modules and when deploying hardpoints, switch off some, then it's really a BEAST ! :evil:
You sure have bigger fish to fry ...

CMDR -_Turbo_-
Novice
Novice
CMDR: -_Turbo_-

Postby CMDR -_Turbo_- » Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:02 pm

Just a few tips that are by no means testament:

1.) Viper is great for bounty work. Better shields but less hull than the cobra. Vice versa for the cobra. Both have the same maneuverability, but the cobra has more space and can serve as multi-purpose in a good way (missions).
2.) All lasers = no ammo costs. Cannons = high damage at closer range but require better shot placement. Multi-cannons = making you feel like one of Adama's pilots from the Galactica. Low ammo costs or no ammo costs is gooooooooooooood. Better for longer hunts.
3.) Gimballed weapons provide continuous damage if you can keep the bastard you're shooting at in the arc. Yes, fixed weapons do 20% more damage, but often make you lose focus in the fight; especially if there are asteroids present. Gimballed output less damage, but are excellent for destroying subsystems with continuous damage. Cannons drop subsystems like 3rd period home ec. Destroying subsystems = good tactics and faster kills.
4.) Know when to run away, and remember that the huge number of credits in vouchers are useless if you can't make it back to the station to turn them in.
5.) Shield cells are pretty much necessary for anacondas and the big stuff. Just remember that they use more power than the Griswald's Christmas lights.
6.) Chaff is like getting a french kiss from an angel during a dogfight if you use it right. Remember that it's not infinite.
7.) ALWAYS manage your power correctly. Shields don't run on hopes and dreams, they run on power pips :) Engines aren't as important once you're on top of the other ship. However, Vipers will outrun you. Don't fight it. Just boost to them, shooting on the way.
8.) LEARN TO USE FLIGHT ASSIST "OFF." Pitching it hard and then dropping the training wheels for a second gives you a nice turn rate boost. You can also use this to do a g-flip turn. It's worth the time to learn this flight skill.
9.) Returning to the station for refitting can build complacency. DO NOT FORGET if you are wanted for dinging that pretty police ship's shield. They don't care for it too much. It's easy to forget, and the station may decide you're better as floating debris decorations for the mail slot.
10.) Remember that it's not as profitable. It's fun, which is why you play the game in the first place.

Happy hunting. I do alot of it, so feel free to ask me as many questions via PM as you like. Take care!

-Turbo

Beast Tanner
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Beast Tanner

Postby Beast Tanner » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:36 pm

Viper and Cobra do not have same maneuverability. It has been tested and Cobra loses in speed and maneuverability.

Return to “General Discussion”