Interdictions and Frame-Shift acceleration...

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
TheBBP
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Interdictions and Frame-Shift acceleration...

Postby TheBBP » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:47 pm

First, I was pulled out of FSD while transporting goods, it was a cool "mini-game" scenario to escape. Am I to assume that was pirates? Also, what causes your ship to continue to accelerate to top speed even while you are trying to slow down when approaching a destination causing you to overshoot the target destination?
"but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."
Romans 5:8

Cmdr Kharma
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Kharma
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Re: Interdictions and Frame-Shift acceleration...

Postby Cmdr Kharma » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:16 pm

On the interdictions......It used to be both pirates and authority ships........Then it was only pirates.....Now looks like both again as I was interdicted by an authority vessel last night.....In latest upgrade.....Don't know....Not played it yet.....

As for the speed up...Sthg to do with like a sling shot effect from a gravitational field I *Think*......I just normally set my throttle in the "Blue zone" and leave it alone......Ship automatically speeds up and slows down.....Only overshoots if I muck around with it...

Tor.....Hold on.......Tor.......Wait a bit.....TOR will you stop fecking firing.......Ok......Tor I know a therapist that can help you....... :D My Cmdr also has small feet

TheBBP
Harmless
Harmless

Postby TheBBP » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:13 pm

OK cool. Thank you Kharma, that makes sense.
"but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

TheBBP
Harmless
Harmless

Postby TheBBP » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:16 pm

Now I just got a mission that is impossible me to fly to lol. Can't even plot a route. I will lose big money (a lot to me) now that I have to abandon this mission. Or is there a trick to getting to those places?

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:31 pm

TheBBP wrote:... Also, what causes your ship to continue to accelerate to top speed even while you are trying to slow down when approaching a destination causing you to overshoot the target destination?

It doesn't always do this. Sometimes you keep slowing down even while advancing full throttle. I assume it has something to do with gravity and how close you are to a sun or planet. The closer you are, the more "drag" you feel. I think what is happening in your description, is either you are moving out of the gravitational effect of a sun or planet, or you are moving into the gravitational effect of a station (or another nearby planet). It seems that it is never exactly the same twice.
It's time to give this another go.

Crisp_89
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Crisp_89
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Crisp_89 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:45 pm

TheBBP wrote:Now I just got a mission that is impossible me to fly to lol. Can't even plot a route. I will lose big money (a lot to me) now that I have to abandon this mission. Or is there a trick to getting to those places?

This is typically caused by a loss in jump distance, usually when you pick up a large shipment or upgrade to a heavier module. The way I got around this problem was to upgrade my FSD and/or lighten the overall mass of my ship by removing unnecessary modules. Purchasing a Fuel Scoop also tends to bump up your jump distance a small bit (plus it's just a handy little tool to have).
CMDR Crisp_89
Asp Explorer: LX-52A "Excalibur"
Combat: Expert | Trade: Merchant | Exploration: Pathfinder

Scian Dearg
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Scian Dearg

Postby Scian Dearg » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:54 pm

Use the 8 sec rule and 75%.

Bind a key for 75% thrust, when your destination whether it be a uss, nav beacon, starport etc is at the 8 sec timer, press the 75% button, you will never miss a destination again, I normally press it between 10 and 7 secs and it works fine. So don't look at distance to go, look at time to go and press that 75% keybind and hey presto it is almost foolproof.

TheBBP
Harmless
Harmless

Postby TheBBP » Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:39 am

Outstanding. Thank you for those tips, gents.

BarkingMad
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Barking Mad

Postby BarkingMad » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:16 am

I use 6 secs as the minimum. You can use 5 secs on the approach but it's easy to slip into the slingshot effect so 6 secs gives you a little contingency. Once you're within 0.30ls you can start to accelerate gently - you will start to go in to slingshot (you can hear it happening) at perhaps 20Mm or so and you will see the "Slow Down" warning, but you will have enough time with both speed and distance markers in the blue to drop out of SC before you pass your target.

This works for me in a lowly Cobra - haven't tried it in anything bigger because I keep spending the money on upgrades :-) I haven't found a way of getting in quicker, although NPCs overtake me on final approach. Either other ships are capable of approaching quicker or it's another case of one rule for us and another rule for NPCs (such as going in to FSD with weapons deployed until they fixed it recently).

Pete

Neillm
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Zachus

Postby Neillm » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:39 am

BarkingMad wrote:I use 6 secs as the minimum. You can use 5 secs on the approach but it's easy to slip into the slingshot effect so 6 secs gives you a little contingency. Once you're within 0.30ls you can start to accelerate gently - you will start to go in to slingshot (you can hear it happening) at perhaps 20Mm or so and you will see the "Slow Down" warning, but you will have enough time with both speed and distance markers in the blue to drop out of SC before you pass your target.

This works for me in a lowly Cobra - haven't tried it in anything bigger because I keep spending the money on upgrades :-) I haven't found a way of getting in quicker, although NPCs overtake me on final approach. Either other ships are capable of approaching quicker or it's another case of one rule for us and another rule for NPCs (such as going in to FSD with weapons deployed until they fixed it recently).

Pete

This works nicely in an Asp too. :-) Trying to keep the speed as high as possible as the distance drops to less than 1Mm adds a bit more to the mix.

Return to “General Discussion”