Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Philip Coutts
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Coutts
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Frontier Bans all tradingtools.

Postby Philip Coutts » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:12 pm

Rules are made to be broken, except that gets you banned so on second thoughts don't do that. Surely having the link in a signature is fine because you are not forcing anyone to click on it. I would have thought "advertising" the forum in the specific thread would be fine as well.

rmb4253
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Ibizan

Postby rmb4253 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:47 pm

Doesn't it say advertising by private message is banned? Surely that means that a link in your usual sig pointing to a particular group would be ok.

Wolf
Master
Master
CMDR: Dexter Wolf

Postby Wolf » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:52 pm

This thread is about the ban of data scraping tools, not of forum members. We have another thread in the members section discussing the latter.

Philip Coutts
Expert
Expert

Postby Philip Coutts » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:06 pm

Indeed, so back on topic. I never used any of the "tools" available because to be honest I knew they would eventually ban them. They were never going to allow this to go on long term. Also I basically see it as cheating, where's the fun or risk in trying to find a profitable trade run if all you have to do is open up a program that does it for you. I just used pen and paper and noted down prices to find the most advantageous runs. Works for me and it brought back all those childhood memories from the original game!

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby GlobusDiablo » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:11 pm

Philip Coutts wrote:Indeed, so back on topic. I never used any of the "tools" available because to be honest I knew they would eventually ban them. They were never going to allow this to go on long term. Also I basically see it as cheating, where's the fun or risk in trying to find a profitable trade run if all you have to do is open up a program that does it for you. I just used pen and paper and noted down prices to find the most advantageous runs. Works for me and it brought back all those childhood memories from the original game!

I just use the in-game galaxy map and trade routes. I find it works very well. And I love moving around the colour grid! :)

http://youtube.com/v/FHqc-MFEyGk

Wolf
Master
Master

Postby Wolf » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:18 pm

Hi, my name is Dexter Wolf. I used Slopey's tool. And I enjoyed it. :oops:
Does that make me a bad person?
Please don't tell my mother! :cry:

Vikinger
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Vulcor

Postby Vikinger » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:18 pm

And also with the new system map we will get hints for most imported and exported goods for a station. As well as illegal goods.

Philip Coutts
Expert
Expert

Postby Philip Coutts » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:21 pm

Wolf wrote:Hi, my name is Dexter Wolf. I used Slopey's tool. And I enjoyed it. :oops:

Well to be frank yes it does. Go to your room and think about what you've done. :D

I have no issues with people using these tools but Frontier were never going to allow people to scrape data from ED longer term. The trading map and system information should give you all the information you need to make an informed choice on the cargo to carry. As ever the motto is don't spend what you can't afford to lose!

GlobusDiablo
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: GlobusDiablo
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby GlobusDiablo » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:23 pm

Philip Coutts wrote:
Wolf wrote:Hi, my name is Dexter Wolf. I used Slopey's tool. And I enjoyed it. :oops:

Well to be frank yes it does. Go to your room and think about what you've done. :D

I have no issues with people using these tools but Frontier were never going to allow people to scrape data from ED longer term. The trading map and system information should give you all the information you need to make an informed choice on the cargo to carry. As ever the motto is don't spend what you can't afford to lose!

Bad Wolf! Bad Wolf! :D

Wolf
Master
Master

Postby Wolf » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:27 pm

:cry: Ok, I am ashamed! But let me say this, before i go to my room: ;)

Yes, that was clear from the beginning. I think Michael said some time ago, that for the time being back then, they would ignore those tools as they were focusing on other priorities. But later they would come back to it and that it would be very probable they would lock them out.
Well, now is the time. I knew it would come.
What I find very positive, is back then Michael did not sound so positive about the API thing. Now it sounds they are actually planning one. That is good news!

Return to “General Discussion”