Apex to surface mission, ie, what happens when I die?

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
TinyTove
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: TinyTove
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Apex to surface mission, ie, what happens when I die?

Postby TinyTove » Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:23 pm

I fell in love with Apex. It wasn't supposed to happen, yet it did anyway.
If I could get them to carry me onto the Concourse, that would be even better thanks!

Anyway to the point. I've been embarrassing myself quite well in "on foot" missions. I really stink at them, that's fine, they're fun to me even when I am boning myself.
I screwed the pooch on one yesterday and, I wasn't keeping accurate details, but I think I retained all my stuff I'd pilfered while on the mission that I had just failed. All the Optical Pieces, the circuits, that sort of thing.

I woke up in prison, they'd left my Union Flag painted Viper MkIII back on the mission planet, cheers now I have to go fetch that too, so I did. This is when I noticed I still had a load of things more than I thought I should have. I am more accustomed to losing my stuff on a ship death, yet it seems a foot death does not do this.
I'm ignoring the crazy way illegality happens with my ship being a seperate legal entity to my body.
I am concentrating on how I retain stuff on foot, when I die. Seems to happen that way.

Anyway, back to Apex, I would prefer to Apex to mission sites. Because I fell in love with NOT having to fly the ship. First I fell in love with super cruise assist... kind of enjoy dock/land assist... but then Apex happened and I was all aglow...

If I Apex to a mission, I don't get an SRV of course... so no easy mode mowing down of NPCs and with no ship or SRV I get no easy-mode replenishments.... but that might be a sacrifice worth making if I am confident I don't lose stuff on death... which is frequent... I'm just sick of fetching ships back from mission planets.. it was better when I used to get in my ship to attempt escape only to have it destroyed by base cannons (took 3 ships to figure this out!) and now all my Vipers are called "Red Shirt" because I only use them to go down to planet surfaces and they almost never return.

Only now I've started dying on foot... and now I have to keep moving "Red shirts" around, which is bothersome.

So, leaving ships at home so I can die alone on a planet? Any other downsides to note?

TinyTove
Harmless
Harmless

Re: Apex to surface mission, ie, what happens when I die?

Postby TinyTove » Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:56 am

Now that I finally have the Maverick suit backpack upgrade, I need my actual ship less and less, though turns out Apex ships also act like my storage local. (Funny what FD are prepared to break immersion, but not other things - Like the Travel Journey to an on-foot conflict zone.. WHY subject me to that every time? Sure it was cool the first 80 times....)

Apex don't pancake their brand new DBX into a high-g planet. The thrusters on non-military duty vessels are quite sedate.

And as long as I don't get back into my ship when all hell breaks loose I don't lose my ship, or my stuff, when I die or get arrested. Though I've yet to figure out why sometimes it's "Redeploy" into my ship (handy!) or "Wake up in jail" (Super inconvenient!)
If I do get back in my ship, in a fruitless attempt at escape, then I lose everything on my ship, because my ship goes pop. And you lose all the usual ship-loss stuff.. like cargo and bounties. Though I lose my on-foot bounties when my body dies... or something... well anyway I don't lose my Assets/Goods/Data anyway and that is all I really care about...

Also continue to be confused with why I am unable to predict whether a particular killing will be murder or justice. Surely it's always murder to somebody? Nope! Some minor factions don't care what you do to their members and allies and other local factions reward you for killing them... seems like a rubbish clan to join!

It's quite annoying to see a youtube video that explains how to farm up something like Manufacturing Instructions, only to find FD have nerfed the potatoes out of it. Did they remove all the farmed materials from the perpetrators at the same time? Or did they just punish future players and subject them to a few months of grind whilst letting the "cheaters" get away scot free? Hmmm...

TinyTove
Harmless
Harmless

Postby TinyTove » Wed Feb 09, 2022 10:49 pm

Finally think I figured out how sometimes when I am killed on foot I end up in jail. It seems like it might be because I am doing Restoration mission and to fail one incurs a 100k fine/bounty (what is the difference anyway?!) presumably in compensation for the power regulator they won't see again and so they drag me off to jail for failing the mission. (Even though power was on and I got killed on the way out, st00bid game... mission was done man...)

tinnitus
Master
Master
CMDR: Nar Nar Goon

Postby tinnitus » Thu Feb 10, 2022 1:34 pm

If you die clean (lol) you will re-spawn at the station you were last docked, if not a clean death you get sent to a prison station, hopefully not too far away.
Image]

“In real life you never get to say "OMG I died, balls to wall and fly her apart.”

Return to “General Discussion”