Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Killing Only Pirates - Extreme PVE?

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:21 pm

I only kill pirates, and NPC pirates at that. That probably explains why I only have about 60 confirmed kills and am still ranked mostly harmless. Once, in Lave, I got interdicted 3 times in a row. I got so pissed that I bought a fully kitted Viper and scoured the system clean of anybody who was wanted. I got about 10, and it was fun, and then I started thinking about why they would be wanted. Maybe some guy just forgot to pay a parking fine? Then I started feeling guilty. :roll:

So when somebody is "wanted", does that apply to unpaid parking fines and little things like that too, or just for serious crimes like murder & piracy? It seems that if somebody is wanted, the only way to collect a bounty is to kill them, so it really means "Wanted: Dead". It might be nice if there was also a "Wanted: Fines", and a mechanism where you don't have to kill them to get them to pay the bounty. And if you do kill those with only fines against them, then you get a bounty for murder on your head. That just seems a little more reasonable than killing someone for anything.

Anyway, since I don't want to be a murder, I only kill in self-defense, although I would like to get a higher combat ranking and more combat experience. Maybe I'll just have to wait for war to come to the Alliance. It seems a bit extreme to not even want to kill NPC wanted players, w/o them shooting first, but I bet there are those that have no kills and always run from pirates, too.
It's time to give this another go.

Rhysling
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Rhysling

Re: Killing Only Pirates - Extreme PVE?

Postby Rhysling » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:29 pm

About the second day I played, I had the default "deploy hardpoints if hitting the trigger" set, hit the wrong button and loosed a gunshot in the no fire zone. No-one was hurt, but it got me a 200cr fine. I thought it was taken from my balance automatically. Imagine my surprise 24 hours later when I had a glowing red "Wanted" sign appear on the dash! I went and paid it, so no harm done, but yes - you can get wanted status by accident. It doesn't necessarily mean you're a bad person. :D
It's easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Zarkon
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Zarkon

Postby Zarkon » Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:21 am

I made it a rule not to kill wanted ships with less than 1000 c bounty, as it's usually not worth the price of ammo anyway. But if their bounty is over 1000c, then it's likely they are habitual landing pad offenders and need to be put down. :)

Combiseries

Postby Combiseries » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:04 pm

Roger Wilco Jr wrote:I only kill pirates, and NPC pirates at that. That probably explains why I only have about 60 confirmed kills and am still ranked mostly harmless. Once, in Lave, I got interdicted 3 times in a row. I got so pissed that I bought a fully kitted Viper and scoured the system clean of anybody who was wanted. I got about 10, and it was fun, and then I started thinking about why they would be wanted. Maybe some guy just forgot to pay a parking fine? Then I started feeling guilty. :roll:

So when somebody is "wanted", does that apply to unpaid parking fines and little things like that too, or just for serious crimes like murder & piracy? It seems that if somebody is wanted, the only way to collect a bounty is to kill them, so it really means "Wanted: Dead". It might be nice if there was also a "Wanted: Fines", and a mechanism where you don't have to kill them to get them to pay the bounty. And if you do kill those with only fines against them, then you get a bounty for murder on your head. That just seems a little more reasonable than killing someone for anything.

Anyway, since I don't want to be a murder, I only kill in self-defense, although I would like to get a higher combat ranking and more combat experience. Maybe I'll just have to wait for war to come to the Alliance. It seems a bit extreme to not even want to kill NPC wanted players, w/o them shooting first, but I bet there are those that have no kills and always run from pirates, too.

You have a valid point and one I think FD should be made aware if. Perhaps they could be more specific about what they are wanted for so you can make an informed decision on whether to attack and claim the bounty.

This part of the immersive universe is lacking, not just in this area but also was the the military missions as well.

DukePeregrine
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: DukePeregrine

Postby DukePeregrine » Wed May 03, 2017 9:14 am

Is the premise for the opening post valid?

What I mean is, do we actually (in game terms) ever murder any enemies? Or do we simply - by 'killing' blow up their ship? Surely they escape just like we do when our ship is blown up?

It seems to me that in Elite Dangerous, we live in a very liberal galaxy where you can commit any heinous crime and the worse that will happen is you'll have your ship destroyed. You'd need to be Jeremy Clarkson to claim that was an appropriate punishment. And on that bombshell...

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Wed May 03, 2017 11:14 am

Considering most of the wanted target are at 40k to 600k I'd say it's more than a parking fine.

You only get a 6k bounty from ONE murder after all.
So even those low level wanted targets would have had to have around 10 murder kills each.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

MisterCrispyFL
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: MrCrispy

Postby MisterCrispyFL » Wed May 03, 2017 12:11 pm

If I had 100 credits for every time a local security ship has flown right into my beams while I was fighting a pirate at a RES I'd have been able to buy my Anaconda a lot earlier.

Seriously, they run into my beams and somehow it's MY fault?

UnmarkedBoxcar
Master
Master
CMDR: UnmarkedBoxcar
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby UnmarkedBoxcar » Wed May 03, 2017 4:15 pm

Pad loitering is a capital offense!

:evil:

Relix Typhon
Master
Master
CMDR: Relix Typhon

Postby Relix Typhon » Wed May 03, 2017 6:41 pm

I've got a 10,000 cr fine currently sat in my transaction tab which also gave me wanted status, that I cant pay off. Anywhere. And didn't flag up when I got it. I think its a bug. I'll let it expire and see what happens

Sevin Church
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Sevin Church

Postby Sevin Church » Wed May 03, 2017 8:47 pm

I have over 200k in dormant bounties on me right now. I've been a bad boy lately for President Hudson.

Return to “General Discussion”