Fleet Carriers - Mobius "Allow All"?

Discuss anything relating to Elite: Dangerous
SockFiddler
Competent
Competent
CMDR: SockFiddler
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Fleet Carriers - Mobius "Allow All"?

Postby SockFiddler » Fri May 29, 2020 2:06 pm

I'm really not sure why people are so disappointed, being honest. The anticipation built up a bit, but I don't remember ever being promised anything more than "a spaceport with an FSD". I mean, what else were you expecting? The Death Star?

They're a way-past-end-game item that SHOULD be hard to get (in the face of "Get a 'conda in your first week!") guides. They're expensive enough that you have to have a little dedication to get one, but not so expensive that you'll be mining or running passengers for months and months. And the upkeep is exactly to limit how many a person wants to keep up and running at the same time: this stuff SHOULD be expensive.

To put this in context, I'm one of the laziest, least-grindy people in the black, but I made a bil in a week when I put my mind to it (in a python, no less). I am not finding the cost (purchase or upkeep) outrageous at all - especially if you fly in a regular wing or are prepared to park up along a regular route and offer the use of your carrier to passers by via the forums or social media or whatever clever system someone will come up with to make these things a public resource (the Rats are working on it).

We were never promised a new class of ship. I think it's interesting that you get to tinker with the support modules you can equip, and (I suspect) perhaps they'll add more functionality over time as they see how people are interacting with and using them.

But a spaceport with an FSD is exactly what I've been expecting all this time, and I'm not disappointed in the slightest with any aspect of this so far.
"Drink fast, die young"

"You may ask who was wearing the bow tie; me or the shark. The answer is: YES."

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Fleet Carriers - Mobius "Allow All"?

Postby TorTorden » Fri May 29, 2020 3:26 pm

Well they changed a lot of the costs on this thing between beta 1 and beta 2.

Not sure what rock you have been under if you don't know already.

But the cost of the main two services, shipyard and outfitting have each gone from 500 to 250 million, upkeep costs MAX out at around 25 million per week, a typical don't need get everything is between 10-15 mil a week.
You can sell it off again for the cost of 150 million credit loss.
They have also halved the fuel consumption so a max range jump is near 1\4 of the tank not half.

If you get one solo, although the main points for one would be to support a wing and shenanigans, the owner doesn't even need to get the shipyard and outfitting services to use them, you only need those if you have friends or want have stuff for sale.
There is no reason what so ever to have stuff for sale.

As for who should be able to dock, it's kind of a moot point.
They are invulnerable, and the only thing anyone could do on them would be spending money that benefits you the owner.
And these things are mode persistent, they exist in game when you are offline, they exist in any mode of play, any group, and even on every platform.
Ps4 and XBx commanders will be able to use your carrier.

If you don't see any use for it it's simple, don't get one.
But even if you do get one, you only stand too loose fuel costs, and 150 million.

Oh, and also, you can print money with these for your buddies.

Get a freighter load of some stuff, put up a buy order on your carrier obscenely high on your market.
Wing up with a few buddies, then sell your load.
All your wing friends now made 5% out of nowhere in bonus.
The cargo you sold is available to be taken out of the carrier's storage, and you guessed it. can be sold again..

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Return to “General Discussion”