Bounty Hunter Bunch
AndyFM
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: AndyFM
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Compromised Nav Beacons

Postby AndyFM » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:41 pm

My, sort of in-lore, explanation for Nav Beacons is that they were originally intended to scan ships coming into a system to check for warrants etc and then transmit that data to authorities. They would also update any ships navigation systems with updates to the astronomical situation in the system, and/or changes to minor power alignment of stations/outposts etc.
However, after a time the Nav Beacons became an easily locate-able place for grey area / straight up illegal trades to take place. Due to the shady nature of the deals going down here, this ended up drawing the attention of pirates. Hence them being a good place to initially go hunting for them.
With the idea of them transmitting data on ships to the authorities, this would also play into the idea that a compromised one therefore wouldn't transmit infractions to the authorities, and therefore not calling in the security ships.

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:44 pm

Well the name implies they are for navigation purposes, but obviously that makes no sense as you can be 10,000+ ly outside of the bubble and still navigate. One theory I've seen mooted is that they are communications relays picking up data, news, etc for the system from ships as they travel through - this add more credence to the compromised concept of the police not turning up.

In reality I think they are just a game play mechanism for pew pew
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

moarbeer
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby moarbeer » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:04 pm

I like to think of them as navigation relays for nav data pertaining to non astronomical bodies in each system. That then assumes that every system with a station has a navigation beacon. Not sure if that's true.

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:36 pm

Xebeth wrote:In reality I think they are just a game play mechanism for pew pew

That's what I've always thought, but always hoped that there was a better explanation.

LionOfNarnia
Master
Master
CMDR: Lion Freeman

Postby LionOfNarnia » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:11 pm

Bomber wrote:I think the Haz Res are permanent. If you dont carry cargo and are neutral in Haz Res you tend to be able to pick and chose your fights as a BH?
I might be wrong but in Compromised Navs the pirates tend to wade into you with/without cargo and even if your neutral?
I stumbled on one way back and was getting pasted right from the start! The Compromised Navs are good fun but you have to come in 'locked & loaded' shooting first asking questions later:)

I get scanned a LOT in CNBs (which just identifies the names of the pirates :) ) but have never been attacked 'unprovoked'.
"I don't always kill & eat things - but when I do it's because I'm a Lion & they were things"

Hrdina
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Hrdina

Postby Hrdina » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:30 am

LionOfNarnia wrote:I get scanned a LOT in CNBs (which just identifies the names of the pirates :) ) but have never been attacked 'unprovoked'.

Same here. I've never been attacked in a CNB, except that one time I showed up with a bunch of cargo. :oops:

I try to remember the names of the NPCs that scan me, since that makes them targets. If I'm not busy at the time, I'll immediately target them, do a KWS, then (unless they're in a wing) shoot them in the back when they turn around after complaining about my lack of cargo.
Jameson & Son are my copilots

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:03 am

Hrdina wrote:I try to remember the names of the NPCs that scan me, since that makes them targets. If I'm not busy at the time, I'll immediately target them, do a KWS, then (unless they're in a wing) shoot them in the back when they turn around after complaining about my lack of cargo.

That's one of my favorite moves too. Let them scan me and as they are turning around..... FIRE!!!! Brings a smile to my face every time! :D
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

Walter
Master
Master
CMDR: Walter Wall

Postby Walter » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:11 am

Hrdina wrote:I try to remember the names of the NPCs that scan me, since that makes them targets. If I'm not busy at the time, I'll immediately target them, do a KWS, then (unless they're in a wing) shoot them in the back when they turn around after complaining about my lack of cargo.

JohnLuke wrote:That's one of my favorite moves too. Let them scan me and as they are turning around..... FIRE!!!! Brings a smile to my face every time! :D

Bounders and cads the pair of you!

LionOfNarnia
Master
Master
CMDR: Lion Freeman

Postby LionOfNarnia » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:04 pm

Agreed ;)

I ignore the scanners - usually dickwads in sideys & vipers anyway - and scan the whole beacon looking for the really juicy targets... solo condas, F*S's & clippers... and only go after the midges if I have spare ammo left when the big boys are dispatched.
"I don't always kill & eat things - but when I do it's because I'm a Lion & they were things"

Leinad
Harmless
Harmless

Re: RE: Re: Compromised Nav Beacons

Postby Leinad » Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:22 pm

JohnLuke wrote:

That's one of my favorite moves too. Let them scan me and as they are turning around..... FIRE!!!! Brings a smile to my face every time! :D

'How do you fools make a living? "

"Err, a bit like this"

Bang!

Return to “Bounty Hunter Bunch”