Xerxryn
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Xerxryn
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

ship choice

Postby Xerxryn » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:20 am

Hi guys.
Just wondering about which ship to use for hunting, I love my FDL but that position for the Huge hard-point is getting to annoy me. I used the Vulture but didn't like sticking to one type of weapon (pulse laser). It's a good combat ship but a bit boring for my taste since I like to do missions in it also. I'm a bit of one ship kind of guy.

The Imperial Courier looks a good choice on paper with good power but only 3 level 2 hard-points. Then there is the Imperial clipper, seems popular but not really agile on paper if any one has any insight it would be appreciated. Take care. :)

PulsarShark
Novice
Novice
CMDR: PulsarShark

Re: ship choice

Postby PulsarShark » Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:38 am

The clipper is extremely agile - for its size - it's just that its big-boy mass limits its turn radius and the effectiveness of its up/down/left/right thrusters. When you've gotten used to it, you can fly it with no trouble through many an asteroid ring.

Its real weakness is its lightweight shields. Compare its shield MJ on ED Shipyard or Coriolis.io vs. your FDL and you can see what I mean. You can build it for combat, and it can work fine, but it'll always feel somewhat glassy in its ability to take hard hits.

Making up for that, when you're on a mission and just want to get from point A to point B, if you don't wanna fight, nothing will be able to catch you. The submit cooldown for a fully upgraded Clipper FSD is something like 2 seconds. Submit / boost / boom you're gone. :D

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:52 pm

I liked the clipper, the FDL not so much, that usesless huge hardpoint, and the fact that it's thrusters couldn't keep it from drifting as much it would honestly kill things noticeably slower than my pulse laser vulture.

I honestly liked the clipper better, a funny thing I noticed when flying it was it had some rather responsive rudders, and the sideways thrusters was quite zippy, two large beams and some multi's for fun and it would kill stuff quite nicely.

But if you want a do everything ship, you can't go wrong with the python, it can dock on outposts, carry as much cargo as a t7 while still be fully able to kill off elite\deadly npc anacondas, only drawback I have with mine is that it can't jump very far (13ly with cargo) and it costs a almost 120 mil at this point :s

The courier would be a downgrade to the vulture combat wise, it's got great shields and flying it is awesome sauce, but for some reason fighting in it just screams WRONG in my head, engaging any larger ship in one would be quite hinky, and when you do take them down, you have to wait forever for your shields to come back up.,

Honestly I think that thing is mostly meant for smuggling, or luxury shuttling.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Skipp
Master
Master
CMDR: Skipp Doe

Postby Skipp » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:28 pm

If you don't have the money to fit the Python and you don't like the FDL, I think the best bet would be the Clipper. I loved it once I put in the better thrusters.

The engine sounds are amazing and it's actually more agile than one would except. You'll have hard time flipping it around because the thrusters are on the far ends of the wings so rolling is fast, but not turning up/down. However, I found that during fights the Clipper can easily glide/strafe instead. The python can't do that, but I can easily flip it around to come back into the fight if someone's tailing me.
ImageImage

Xerxryn
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby Xerxryn » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:08 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.
I'm currently in Imperial space do get the extra bounties and building imp rep. I love the FDL but it's the under belly position for the huge mount that is a pain for me. Will have to see when I able to fit the plasma accelerator and look at that beast. I wondered about the behaviour of NPC clippers that just spin to turn around rather than pitch lol.

Xerxryn
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby Xerxryn » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:33 am

Well bought a clipper and have to say impressed with the turning speed, feel it's a lot better than my old FDL but the shields are weaker. I can live with that. The big boom for me is the extra cargo space so once I'm bored with all the killing I can do bit of trading and doing missions on the side. Take care. :)

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:00 am

I hope you don't mind if I hijack your thread?

Anyway, I've been exploring and trading for months and I can't remember the last time I did any serious combat. I'm sitting at Master with a 32% progress bar. Now I want to concentrate on pure combat until I rank up to Deadly.

I had been flying the Vulture and was pretty happy except for the week canopy. Did they ever nerf it, like they did to the Python? Anyway, a Clipper isn't an option, but I figure the Python must be better than the Vulture, and maybe the FDL? And then there is the Anaconda. I've flown the Python before, but only as a trader on my way to a T9. I've never flown an FDL or conda.

Anyway, if cash was not a factor, which ship do you think is best for combat. I'd think it would be the conda (I've been dreaming of getting one since the game was released), but maybe it's too slow and too hard to fight? So maybe the Python is a better choice? If the Clipper really is the best combat ship, I'm in Imperial space and can probably get a base rank and the ship (if the "sale" is still on).

With Frontier always balancing things, and 99% of what you read out of date, it's just so hard to know what's going on. I really wish they offered a "flight simulator" mode so you could try things out w/o a 10% charge if you don't like it.

Thanks.
It's time to give this another go.

Gorf
Master
Master
CMDR: Hardy

Postby Gorf » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:55 am

Further to all the comments about the clipper and python in combat, remember they are pretty big targets. If you do end up fighting something with lots of gun, all pointing at you, you're going to have a bad day. If your primary objective is shooting, the vulture or viper are the ships of choice.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden

Postby TorTorden » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:46 pm

Certainly you can mess up with any ship (part of the fun) and I have had a few learning experiences going up against upper ranked anaconda's the master ranked and down are still easy prey, but deadly and up they suddenly become FA-OFF plattforms of death dealing beam turrets

Barely lost Donna to one in a cz, luckily I managed to fire off my cell banks and kill it.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:03 pm

Well, wtf, I guess I'll stick with the Vulture for now. I guess they haven't nerfed it yet.
I'll add a shield booster and experiment with shield cell banks, which I haven't used before.
It's time to give this another go.

Return to “Bounty Hunter Bunch”