Bounty Hunter Bunch
wavikerz
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: Kayan Eva
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Lets do some hunting

Postby wavikerz » Sun May 17, 2015 1:21 pm

I want to try my hand at bounty hunting, just need to be pointed in the right direction.
Ran a few delivery missions, picked up a few black boxes, now just trying to set up my Eagle, and i'll be honest, no idea what I am doing ha.

But ran a pve mission the other day and got rail gun happy.

Anyway, if anyone wants to take me under their wing, I'm ready to learn! Cant stay hanging around Eravate forever!

CMDR Kayan Eva

clivewil
Master
Master
CMDR: clivewil + clivus

Re: Lets do some hunting

Postby clivewil » Sun May 17, 2015 1:49 pm

wavikerz wrote:now just trying to set up my Eagle, and i'll be honest, no idea what I am doing ha.

setting up a ship is a very personal thing; it relates closely to how you want to fly so very often one person's idea of a great ship is terrible to someone else

having said that, i have an Eagle which i've used in a Resource Extraction Site (RES) and it can take down an Anaconda if you're really REALLY careful - i wouldn't suggest trying that as a novice pilot, but it does show that the ship's setup is workable and useful. let me know if you want to try it yourself

one thing you'll want to get a grip on is setting up a ship's power - understandably small ships have very small power plants and if you try to run 'big stuff' from them, most of the time they will overload and shut down

one way around this is to assign different things different priorities in the Modules screen - e.g. weapons are only used in real space, whereas Frameshift Drives and Fuel Scoops are only used in supercruise. so one thing you can do is set the priority for the Frameshift Drive and Fuel Scoop to a low priority, so when you deploy your weapons, the drive and scoop turn off. this enables you to have more equipment than the plant is capable of supplying, because it's not all being powered up at the same time

anyway, that's a complex subject and can be confusing until you actually see it in action - some screenshots would explain it better, so we'll cover that a bit later. right now it's time for coffee
-- Fly safely, shoot straight, kill quickly, land softly --

Xebeth
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: Xebeth
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Xebeth » Sun May 17, 2015 1:52 pm

wavikerz wrote:I want to try my hand at bounty hunting, just need to be pointed in the right direction.
Ran a few delivery missions, picked up a few black boxes, now just trying to set up my Eagle, and i'll be honest, no idea what I am doing ha.

But ran a pve mission the other day and got rail gun happy.

Anyway, if anyone wants to take me under their wing, I'm ready to learn! Cant stay hanging around Eravate forever!

CMDR Kayan Eva

Hi, so bounty hunting 101

1. Identifying potential targets - very simple, just target another ship and let your built in scanner finish, if they are wanted it will appear in the scan results. If they have previously scanned you their bounty will also appear in your contacts panel even if you haven't scanned them.
Important - always let your basic scan finish before you fire, even if a target is shown as having a bounty in your contacts, firing before your basic scan has finished is a crime and will bring the police down on you.

2. Get a Kill Warrant Scanner (KWS) - it will significantly increase your profit. You need to assign it to a fire group, and activate it with a fire button. You can assign it to the same group as your weapons, but it takes 10secs to complete the scan and you target needs to be in front of you, if you release the button the scan starts again, so it's worth considering using your secondary fire if it's free.

3. Finding your prey - there are four primary places to find bounties.

i. Unidentified Signal Sources (USS) - sometimes there are pirates attacking a trader - this is the least reliable method
ii. In super cruise (SC) - scan targets you see whilst in SC, you will need a frame shift interdictor to bring them out of SC though - probably not worth it in an Eagle
iii. At NAV Beacons - simple target and drop out of SC at any NAV beacon, then scan the ships that arrive for ones that are wanted - quite reliable, if a bit slow
iv. Resource Extraction Sites (RES) - these are in the rings around gas giants (you need to be within 1000ls for them to appear), simple SC to the RES, drop our of SC when prompted and start scanning away. The types of ships you see are randomly generated, sometimes it'll be all Sidewinders and Adders, sometimes Pythons, Clippers and Anacondas. If you don't like the ships you are seeing leave and then return to the RES - this is the highest return method.

You can also find bounties in Strong Signal Sources (SSS), but be warned, these are typically wings of Vultures and Anacondas - not for the faint hearted.

The fastest way to destroy a ship is to target its power plant, especially the larger ships.
Please make sure you have read the Mobius GroupPolicy

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby JohnLuke » Sun May 17, 2015 2:11 pm

For starting out, I recommend going to the NAV beacon at nearly any sun, and scanning ships as they come by. Some of them will be wanted, and you'll get a bounty for killing them. Be wary of ships in a wing though, as their wing mates will attack you. Watch your PIPS, frequently moving them from weapons to systems to engine as needed as you attack and get attacked. There is a lot of info on the forum about that.

Once you're comfortable with NAV battles, if you want to do some bounty hunting in a Resource Extraction Site (RES) here's a link to a great guide....

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=132183
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

wavikerz
Harmless
Harmless

Postby wavikerz » Sun May 17, 2015 2:20 pm

Thanks guys, great tips, I tried out the nab beacon and done quite well, another player tried to take me down but I got his bounty too.
Just got my permit for the sol system and I'm considering heading there! Could be an interesting trip

wavikerz
Harmless
Harmless

Postby wavikerz » Sun May 17, 2015 5:45 pm

Anyone want to help me track down my target? Took a mission and the guy is slippery.

Return to “Bounty Hunter Bunch”