yah-ta-hey
Novice
Novice
CMDR: yah-ta-hey
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

FROM A NOOB MINER TO OTHER NOOB MINERS

Postby yah-ta-hey » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:29 pm

Greetings,
just came from the engineer that doesn't want much: just 10 painites to gain access..... Where to find them??????
Heard about a place called NJIKAN so I went out and looked at the planet that had pristine metallic rings. Yup, there was one there.
Went out with a T-6, a refinery with 9 holding bins , 1 prospector capable limpet control and 1 collector limpet control and 1 mining laser.
Talk about boredom!!!...... spent almost all of my time going from one asteroid to another at a time very slowly... BUT I did find asteroids with 46% painite and I ended up with 24 tons of painite at the end of 3 runs.

What I learned from this is what I am going to get to for those who mining is second or third on the list of things to learn how to do.

1. Get a ship that has room for LOTS of cargo.... you will use up limpets like crazy.
2. Don't expect to get a tonne per limpet..... I got about a 50% return ... 100 tons of limpet... 50 tonnes of refined ore.
3. Be stingy with your prospector limpets... I learned to approach and use the mining laser to get some fragments and see what comes off ...
if it is something that you are interested in... then use your prospector to see the percentages.
4. remember your collectors have a short lifespan so don't let them sit idle while you are shooting samples or sending out a new prospector.
5. There is a way to prioritize your mining for what you want or don't want... see below.
6. there is a definite correlation of availability of minerals or ores when searching.... see below.

okay: after the T6 excursion, I used the money to get a python and fitted it out for 101 t cargo capacity, 1 prospector controller with 1 prospector at a time capability , a collector controller with the capability to send out 3 collectors, a refinery with 9 slots, 3 mining lasers, an advanced scanner and 2 pulse lasers.(defense or just a security blanket for ease of mind), of course a fuel scoop. feel free to use what you want as we probably have different techniques.
Then: once on site.....see for yourself.. try the inner edge, outer edge and the middle to see what floats your needs. stay away from the extraction zones... they do not like strangers coming in. expect to be scanned, intercepted and quite possibly attacked... if you get scanned by the authorities and then get attacked... stay in the fight until the quick reaction force comes in to save the day or flee if that is the smart thing to do.
Now the Mining part: you have approached the asteroid of your choice...get close enough to have your mining lasers ready to shoot, send out a prospector to see what the asteroid has to offer. then shoot fragments off... activate your collectors so they immediately begin harvesting. IMPORTANT: make sure your cargo hatch is open or you will get a message talking about a cargo hatch error and you will not get anything into your refinery bins. This is where having my 3 mining lasers come into play.... 3 lasers being shot in short bursts will move out a lot more fragments than a single laser will . Remember your prospector has a short life(5 minutes) before it peters out but once it gives you the percentages.... forget about it... concentrate on the collectors...3 collectors does 3 times the work of a single. Coupled with the 3 mining lasers... you can deplete an asteroid in nothing short and then start the prospecting procedure while there is a lot of fragments that your collectors are working on. By the time you get a new prospector on line and sending back the percentages of your new target... you will be running out of previous samples and the collectors will be ready to start on the new stuff.
Here is where it get FUN!!! Once you start shooting fragments... go to the f1 page and choose contacts..... you will see your collector and prospector AND fragments that are being collected. highlight a fragment and it will ask if you want to lock on, ignore or go back... forget the lock on... bad for the collector life span.... if you DO NOT want that particular type of fragment... choice to ignore it and the collectors will not bring them back to the refinery. That way , you control what you put in the refinery and what is refined. This helps greatly by preventing the "un allocated" message that brings your refinery bin collection to a screeching halt until you vent out the un allocated item.... Personally, I choose the precious metals over the minerals and then I leave 1 bin open so that message never comes up.
Once you are ready to come back to the station: do not empty out the refinery as they will be available to you when you go back out for more mining.

I have found over time that the middle of the ring has the most variety of materials ..metal ore, minerals , and other items like lead, tin, iron, suphur. As time continues, I plan on visiting other rings to see what they hold ... looking for those cold diamonds....and I will report back.
Feel free to add comments or if you disagree on something.. let me know and let me know why you disagree in a constructive format for future readers.

good luck and may your lasers find profitable ore for you. Cheers.
"I WISH I WAS A SPACEMAN, THE FASTEST GUY ALIVE" BUT I AINT .
with apology to fireball XL-5. :)

JazHaz
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: JazHaz

Re: FROM A NOOB MINER TO OTHER NOOB MINERS

Postby JazHaz » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:12 am

Thanks, theres some great tips in there. Even a season veteran like me learned some things.
Cmdr JazHaz
aka James Haslam

Founder Pilots Association,

Only flying a Krait Mk.II these days.

TorTorden
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: TorTorden
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby TorTorden » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:41 am

ED doesn't simulate that much.

What defines what is in a ring is type, and grade of deposits.
The rest is praying to the RNGeezus.

Hey I'm Thor -
People call me Bob.

Rule 1: Pillage. Then burn.
Rule 2: No such thing as overkill, as long as there are reloads.

Edddelos
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Edddelos
CMDR_Platform: PlayStation

Postby Edddelos » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:27 am

Greetings Cmndr,

Found my painite in Frey, Frey 4.
If you look for pristine, metallic rings.
Went back to same place second time and came across it even more often.

You can also set your limpets to ignore particular ore, and save your cargo space. ;)

Hope that helps.
Safe flights.

bl00dh0und9
Competent
Competent
CMDR: bl00dh0und9
CMDR_Platform: XBOX

Postby bl00dh0und9 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:57 pm

I personally like multiple prospectors, in addition to collectors, so I can fire off at multiple rocks to see what the good rocks are quicker.
When mining it's also best to mine from the edges of the asteroid so the pieces fall off into space to reduce your collectors from crashing.

yah-ta-hey
Novice
Novice

Postby yah-ta-hey » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:10 pm

I'm back from checking out another pristine ring. This time it is a Pristine metallic ring.
Place is: Lalande 34968 AB 8: a gas giant with water base life.
It has 2 rings: the inner is a pristine metallic and the outer is a pristine Rocky.
I worked the inner ring from the outside going in to the planet.
This is what I got:
Metals: Silver, Palladium, Painite,Praseodyium,Osmium,Samarium and Platinum.
Minerals: Bertrandite, Gallite, and Indite.
Elements: Manganese, Nickel, Phosphorus,Sulphur,Niobium,Iron,Carbon,Zirconium,and Vanadium.
Quantities on the asteroids ranged from high to low concentrations but even the low concentrations produced a wealth of material.
Lessons learned this time:
Do not try to mine the back side of a planet: it is DARK and dangerous to mine. got tipped end to end several times by unseen asteroids that bumped in the night.
Approach the planet with the full light on it, that way, when you enter the asteroid field.. they will all be lit up and visible. No surprises.
Thanks to previous posters... your comments are very helpful.
Now to check out the Rocky ring.... Cheers.

yah-ta-hey
Novice
Novice

Postby yah-ta-hey » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:54 am

hi again,
this time: Leland 34968 ab8 A gas giant with water base life.
This is the pristine Rocky Ring....
Rather disappointing as just as I was getting started.. was jumped by several rude commanders who wanted all that I had in my cargo bays.... like that is going to happen...NOT!
So I split and went to another site.
Here is what I found :
Pristine reserve... Rocky Ring
Metals: Cobalt and Uraninite
Elementals: Chromium,Sulphur, Manganese,Iron and Nickel
Minerals: Rutile, Lepidolite,Gallite,Bauxite and Coltan

Barely made my supply costs on this one.

yah-ta-hey
Novice
Novice

Postby yah-ta-hey » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:00 am

Hi, another ring to share:
Lelande 34968 AB7 ( a Y (brown dwarf) star).
This time I had space all to my self except for a small vessel who leached several tons from my mining. Since he took only Minerals... I didn't make a fuss over it.
What I found: This is a pristine Metal Rich Ring.
Metals: Uraninite, Osmium, Silver, Samarium, Gold, and Praseodymium.
Elementals: Nickel, Sulphur, Molybdenum,Carbon, Iron, Phosphorus, Vanadium, Manganese, Germanium, Lead, and Mercury.
Minerals: Indite, Lepidolite, Bertrandite, Gallite, and Coltan.

And the Beat go on..... and on.... and on.....Can't get Cher out of my mind tonight.

Edddelos
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Edddelos
CMDR_Platform: PlayStation

Postby Edddelos » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:33 pm

Someon mentioned Jura, Jura7... worth checking out.

LeDoyen
Expert
Expert
CMDR: Le Doyen

Postby LeDoyen » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:26 pm

bl00dh0und9 wrote:When mining it's also best to mine from the edges of the asteroid so the pieces fall off into space to reduce your collectors from crashing.

To spare my collectors, what i usually do is observe the asteroid for a few seconds and shoot where its axis of rotation roughly seems to be (these tumble in 3 dimensions so it's just an estimate).
This way, they are less likely to be hit for a home run by the asteroid, and they often come out in a straight line :)

Return to “Miner's Club”