Miner's Club
Nethaufer
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Nethaufer
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Mining Lance?

Postby Nethaufer » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:08 pm

I was reconfiguring my loadout in Coriolis for mining, and I saw the Mining Lance. What bonus does it have over a normal mining laser?

Mongorians
Novice
Novice
CMDR: Mongorians

Re: Mining Lance?

Postby Mongorians » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:20 pm

The only difference I know of between it and a normal mining laser is that the Lance is able to cause more damage then its counterpart. If there are more. I am unsure. Hope this helps you.

Nethaufer
Competent
Competent
CMDR: Nethaufer

Postby Nethaufer » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:27 pm

Ah, thanks anyway. Just saw it and was curious.

Mongorians
Novice
Novice

Postby Mongorians » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:28 pm

Not a problem, I had the same thought when I first saw it on the power play list. I was thinking something more along the lines of faster mining or what not.

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
CMDR: StaticRadion

Postby StaticRadion » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:39 pm

The Mining Lance is more useful as a weapon but less as a mining laser. Basically you trade the speed that it drains capacitors for it's ability to do damage. In all most people consider it to be a really bad trade off because there has also been testing that shows it cuts away fewer fragments than its normal mining laser counterpart.

Mongorians
Novice
Novice

Postby Mongorians » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:05 am

StaticRadion wrote:The Mining Lance is more useful as a weapon but less as a mining laser. Basically you trade the speed that it drains capacitors for it's ability to do damage. In all most people consider it to be a really bad trade off because there has also been testing that shows it cuts away fewer fragments than its normal mining laser counterpart.

So in the end it sounds like it completely serves no point. I dont see a situation where you would be able to get one without actually having weapons that are effective.

StaticRadion
Expert
Expert
CMDR: StaticRadion

Postby StaticRadion » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:55 am

Mongorians wrote:So in the end it sounds like it completely serves no point. I dont see a situation where you would be able to get one without actually having weapons that are effective.

The only argument I was ever able to make in favor of it, when playing devils advocate, was in regards to mining in smaller ships like the Adder, Cobra, and DBX. The problem with the argument was that experienced miners don't often see a hostile NPC for weeks at a time because they don't mine in RES. So basically yes, it is flawed at a conceptual level.

Return to “Miner's Club”