Re: If you like mining out in the deep dark of space

Postby RIGAMORTIS » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:35 pm

Interesting. I bought a hauler at Thompson Keen and was able to buy outfitting:

SCOOP - A1, A2, B1~3, C2, C3, E1
FSD - 2B, 2C, 2D, 2E
Powerplant - 2B, 2C, 2D
Power Dist - 1B
Refinery - A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2, D2, E1

So, plotted an economic course to HR 943, Hildebrant Station and retrieved my ASP Explorer. 30 jumps and only 2 stars where I could not scoop. Went smoothly. I'm very happy to be reunited with my ASP; many thanks CMDR o7. Now I shall return to FEHU for more mining.

RIGAMORTIS
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: RIGAMORTIS
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Postby RIGAMORTIS » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:40 am

My Explorer ASP is back in FEHU. Thought you might like some distance comparisons:

FEHU to SOL = 468.65LY
FEHU to AZRAEL = 374.87LY
FEHU to ADITI = 118.45LY
FEHU to HR 943 (high tech system) = 301.64LY
HR 943 to AZRAEL = 100.10LY

RIGAMORTIS
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby RIGAMORTIS » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:56 pm

Have started getting asteroids that turn invisible. Has happened 3 times now over the past 2 trips out to my favorite ring. The prospector icon is visible and I can mine the asteroid, but the darn thing is invisible!

The Civil War in FEHU, waging between two Empire factions, continues to drag on and the amount of ships visiting the system is over 300, much higher than usual amount I'm used to seeing. Especially ASP Explorers, almost half were that class of ship. Perhaps, not the safest of places for a lightly armed/shielded T-7 to be dropping off ore; and has me thinking perhaps I need to change to something with the same cargo capacity but more of a bite. Thinking of trading in the T-7 for a Python. 120M cr + 6M cr insurance.

7A power plant
6E thrusters
5A FSD
4E life support
7D power dist
6E sensors
6D Shield gen
5C fuel tank (32 tons)
3A fuel scoop (176kg/s)
2 x 6E cargo racks (64-tons each)
2 x 5E cargo racks (32-tons each)

4A refinery (10-bin)
3A collector limpet controller (2 limpets max) <--- I'd prefer 3
1C prospector limpet controller (1 limpet max) <---- I'm used to this

3 x 3E gimballed pulse lasers
2 x 1D mining lasers
2 x point defense

Gives me max jump (19.92ly empty 15.2ly full of cargo) plus 32 tons more cargo capacity than my T-7. It's a lot of CR for 32 extra tons, but sure seems like I'd be safer in this than a T-7 and perhaps could do a bit of fighting for the faction when I grow weary of mining.

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to improve it, I need the 15ly jump range loaded.

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath
CMDR_Platform: PC-MAC

Postby Loriath » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:30 pm

Yes, go to Ray Gateway in Diaguandri and save 15% on the ship and outfitting.

103 Mill cost, 5.1 mill insurance. 3 Large Gimballed Pulse, 2 medium Pulse fixed for Pew Pew if needed, nothing on the Utility slots. Also I changed a few E rated items to D to save weight.

Link to layout. http://coriolis.io/outfit/python/07A6D5 ... =.Aw18eQ==
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

Loriath
Dangerous
Dangerous
CMDR: Loriath

Postby Loriath » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:35 pm

Actually, here is a cheaper alternative because you don't need a large Power Plant and that saves $$$ with 2 shield boosters, chaff and Heat sink Launcher. Cost with discounts: 61 million

http://coriolis.io/outfit/python/07A6D5 ... =.Aw18eQ==
My Commander has Small Feet
"You're doing it wrong". No, we are having Fun OUR way.
~-~The A-Team Board ~-~
12 year olds tearing around the woods on dirt bikes have LESS FUN than we do!

RIGAMORTIS
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby RIGAMORTIS » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:58 pm

Loriath wrote:Actually, here is a cheaper alternative because you don't need a large Power Plant and that saves $$$ with 2 shield boosters, chaff and Heat sink Launcher. Cost with discounts: 61 million

http://coriolis.io/outfit/python/07A6D5 ... =.Aw18eQ==

Thanks.

Seems to be the same 121M CR outfitting sheet, but I like it. I planned on buying at either: HR 943, THARI, ACHREADE, ZEMETII, NUT, or HIP 14031; but I like the discount plan and will see how far away it is to DIAGUANDRI. With luck, I will be there today. o7

JohnLuke
Deadly
Deadly
CMDR: JohnLuke

Postby JohnLuke » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:17 pm

Here is my mining Python if you want to see if it works for you. Note the 6A power plant and distro, and 5A shield generator with boosters. :)
-JL

Discord Admin
Forum moderator
FB Group moderator

RIGAMORTIS
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby RIGAMORTIS » Thu Nov 26, 2015 11:17 pm

Thanks Johnluke, but I've already bought the new python.

Pretty long witchspace interval today, must be Thanksgiving.

DIAGUANDRI was quite close to HR 943, so I plotted an economic jump sequence to get there. 42 jumps in total:

- 2100 (Yorkshire standard time) Depart FEHU
- 2151 Transiting up through SYNUEFE Sector reach the half-way point.
- 2158 Transition into COL 285 Sector with 19 jumps to go.
- 2206 Transition into HYADES Sector with 15 jumps to go.
- 2224 Transition into ARIETIS Sector with 6 jumps to go.
- 2227 Enter the pew pew bubble with 5 jumps to go.
- 2231 Encounter first NPC. Naturally, he's attracted to my empty cargo bays.
- 2239 Dock at landing pad #9 Ray Gateway.

The stock Python was 48,431,453 CR minus the sale of the used T-7 (29,033,622 CR).
I could not find a 4A Refinery in Ray's, so opted for the 4B and lost 1 hopper slot.

Final cost after outfitting was 100,477,156 CR.
The 7A Powerplant was a big chunk of cash at 43,595,744 CR.

Available power was 30.0 and I'm only using 17.38 deployed. Perhaps overkill.
Jump range was 19.18 unladen and 14.76 laden, allowing me to barely make the hop from FEHU to HIP 9442. I may need to reduce fuel to make the hop back and forth fully loaded.

When I first got the T-7 I hated it. It has proved decent and made me lots of money, but that feeling of utter vulnerability is not pleasant.
Getting to use Medium sized landing pads again will be good. Still don't get that about the T-7 being so big but not carry as much; but whatever.
Will probably miss the 3rd collector limpet for some time and that 10th bin. Will see how this works out. I may end up returning here and downgrading the shields to 5A, adding the third 64-ton cargo bay and the 3 collector limpet controller.

RIGAMORTIS
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby RIGAMORTIS » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:23 am

I'm back in FEHU and sitting in Suzi Wong's bar having a nice Yamazaki 16 year single malt. The barmaid, a nice woman of Asian decent, asked me if I'd seen Dudley. Something about a piched bum, body odor, and an unpaid tab for 16 tins of Bud Light Clamato & Chelada "lager." <--- Google that at your leisure. A repulsive combination of watery lager, clam juice, and tomato juice. I replied that I was not sure where he had gone, and to please never mention that "beverage" again.

Taking great care, I ran her through the basic shakedown cruise (the Python not the barmaid). Economic jumps until I hit SYNUEFE sector and then fastest jumps to FEHU. The fuel scoop is sufficient and I could sit at 65% heat and scoop 157kg/sec without issue. So, I can probably do long range trade missions in this ship to build up my faction standing with no problem.

Phase 2 will be to test out the mining capability and ability to jump between the mining spot in HIP 9442-2 and FEHU with a full cargo load.

Phase 3 will be combat testing. Phase 3 may happen prior to phase 2 depending on the NPC actions.

I have to say, this is the best cockpit layout I've seen so far (as in owning a ship). Visibility is not too bad, except for down. My TrackIR will not look down at the tablet between my legs. There is also some flickering of movement when I try to view the center console. This style cockpit should have been in the T-7. Side by side seating, an engineering seat. Too bad we can't jump from seat to seat and get a better view. I suspect some really nice artwork is going to waste because we can't view it from the pilot's seat.

Externally, she is fantastic looking. The stock green and black paint job is fine for me and the ship's lines are smooth and long.

Thanks for all the help. So far I'm really happy with the Python. She has a throaty engine rumble with 4 pips that is so nice.
Last edited by RIGAMORTIS on Fri Nov 27, 2015 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIGAMORTIS
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Postby RIGAMORTIS » Fri Nov 27, 2015 7:21 am

Phase 3 did happen before Phase 2. I made the jump to HIP 9442 with 100 collector limpets. Met with a very rude Cobra Mk IV that I burned to ash in seconds. I mined 195 tons of ore which forced a 2-hop jump back to FEHU via HIP 9797. Barely a few extra seconds. Trip was a 3-million credit haul. I think 2 collector limpets is ok, but 2 x Class 2D mining lasers is too much, only need 1. Repair cost for the trip was 627Cr,. Not bad at all. She is nimble in the asteroid field with 2 pips to engines and 4 pips to weps.

I'm in love!

The ore haul was:

Painite - 27
Platinum - 63
Palladium - 71
Gold - 20
Osmium - 2
Silver -2
Indite - 1
Bert - 3
Gallite - 6

Towards the end I ran out of limpets and blind mined a few rocks with my remaining 2 limpets just to fill up.

Return to “Miner's Club”