Miner's Club
Xerxryn
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Xerxryn
CMDR_Platform: None Specified

Re: Any miners? Or future miners?

Postby Xerxryn » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:17 pm

This the best vid about the new mining changes I've seen so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJQfjVzoN7k

Personally the prospector drones are just added for flavour and a waste of drone and internal compartment space. Just blast the asteroid and lock on the fragment to see what you can get is quicker I would say.

ELWhappo
Harmless
Harmless
CMDR: ELWHAPPO SANCHEZ

Postby ELWhappo » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 am

I tried mining in my conda, then I fitted a drop ship and tried that for awhile.
I fitted my python for mining and used that for a couple of days.
python seems the best for me, conda works great but I can make more trading in the conda.
so far I've made around 2m with bounties and 144t of cargo space.
good enough for a pretty chill time and a lot less boring than trading.

clivewil
Master
Master
CMDR: clivewil + clivus

Postby clivewil » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:41 am

i have a few spare ships laying around doing nothing so i was going to fit one of them out for mining, the most likely candidates are a Cobra or an Asp - which would you choose for a bit of low-key mining? i am leaning towards the Asp but would like to hear from anyone who has already used the 1.3 mining system

fwiw i am going to give the Prospector drones a miss and just manually inspect the first few chunks
-- Fly safely, shoot straight, kill quickly, land softly --

CMDR Ingulf
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless
CMDR: Ingulf

Postby CMDR Ingulf » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:08 am

I did some mining in a pristine metallic ring (no RES) in a specifically fitted Asp (76 cargo, 70 drones).

Four hours of mining (2 days split because...work) and a total profit of about 4 millions thx to mining missions accepted AFTER my return to the station (and also the cargo being mostly painite did help).

Not bad and very immersive. I agree that the prospectors need a complete revamping tho.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for my Python is with me. (Psalm 23:4)

ELWhappo
Harmless
Harmless

Postby ELWhappo » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:40 am

asp would work well you only need 10 drones or so if your just collecting.
my python holds 144t and 20 drones fill it easy.
http://coriolis.io/outfit/python/07B6C5 ... ythonminer

ELWhappo
Harmless
Harmless

Postby ELWhappo » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:45 am

clivewil
Master
Master
CMDR: clivewil + clivus

Postby clivewil » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:26 am

ELWhappo wrote:asp would work well you only need 10 drones or so if your just collecting.

oops, i only just saw your post right now, and i may have overdone it on the drones, heh - i have 40 in a 64t hold. after reading everybody's posts in the FD forum about how their drones ran out quickly and destroyed themselves in collisions etc, i settled for 40

today is the day. just about to login and begin my mining journey
-- Fly safely, shoot straight, kill quickly, land softly --

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:40 am

I did some mining about 6 months ago and liked it well enough. It's always nice to have a change of pace. I certainly didn't think it was boring chasing down chunks, but then I don't think trading is boring either.

Anyway, I always had the same problem with mining. It happened everywhere I went, even some undiscovered remote system at some random ringed planet. Usually, about the 9th or 10th asteroid I tried mining, I'd finally find one breaking off chunks of gold, but before I'd have a chance to scoop them, some pirates would show up. By the time I finished dealing with them, the chunks would have "timed out" and disappeared. Then check 10 more asteroids until I find another good one, and the pirates would show up again. It got so frustrating that I gave up. I wouldn't mind that so much is a RES in an inhabited system, but the odds of meeting a pirate in the middle of nowhere is probably 50 trillion to 1, but it happened every time.

I'd like to try it in my T9. With 3 turreted beam lasers, I could probably handle most pirates without even stopping mining. But if a Python or something larger showed up, I'd probably never be able to run and make hyperspace without getting blown up first, so I'd have to give up my cargo, and that's not fun. So unless they've made it so you can avoid pirates by going to remote systems, then I probably won't bother with mining again.
It's time to give this another go.

Roger Wilco Jr
Master
Master
CMDR: Roger Wilco Jr.

Postby Roger Wilco Jr » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:58 am

Xerxryn wrote:This the best vid about the new mining changes I've seen so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJQfjVzoN7k

Personally the prospector drones are just added for flavour and a waste of drone and internal compartment space. Just blast the asteroid and lock on the fragment to see what you can get is quicker I would say.

Nice vid. I agree about the PDs. And the CDs don't seem to last very long, but I like the way they fly through the mining lasers. :roll:

I wonder if they last longer in the actual release? Scooping doesn't take much longer, but the CDs probably pay for themselves in time saved anyway.
It's time to give this another go.

ELWhappo
Harmless
Harmless

Postby ELWhappo » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:06 am

clivewil wrote:
ELWhappo wrote:asp would work well you only need 10 drones or so if your just collecting.

oops, i only just saw your post right now, and i may have overdone it on the drones, heh - i have 40 in a 64t hold. after reading everybody's posts in the FD forum about how their drones ran out quickly and destroyed themselves in collisions etc, i settled for 40

today is the day. just about to login and begin my mining journey

ya I have a a3 collector controller but I use 1 drone at a time because they seem to die off faster if you run 2 at a time.
1 works well though.
so far I've made pretty good credits I just check the board when I leave for missions to mine and check again when I get back.
I've been mining in a pristine metallic high intensity site.
the bounties pay well also and with 4 turrets on the top I don't even have to stop mining to kill them.
I take all the mins back to the high tech system my ships are in to sell.

Return to “Miner's Club”